Using an AWD in the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

My daughter is looking to buy a new car. She loves the Jimny, but it might end up being a little small. She wants a 4wd, but generally they are pretty big - think rangers, tritons etc. But there doesn't seem to be anything really in the middle that is affordable as a new car

She isn't looking to do hard-core 4wding, but there are some challenges to some of the locations she wants to visit, probably more steepness and a bit of roughness as opposed to big wheel ruts etc. So one type of car we thought of was an AWD.

Any experiences/views you have had on using an AWD in the bush would be much appreciated.

Thanks

We have the Nissan Pathfinder R50 and it does admirably in the of road area. It can be used 2wd or 4wd therefore cutting the fuel cost of everyday driving on normal roads.
I don't know if the newer Nissans have the same configuration but this does us well.

Thanks everyone, one thing I forgot to mention is that an older model Subaru could not get up one of the steeper hills in 4wd mode - could smell the clutch cooking, it was a little too much for it.

Subarus weren't designed with offroad usage in mind, as evidenced by their gear ratios and ground clearance. Typical Japanese wet and/or icy bitumen roads and light snow are the reason behind their AWD system, which is also well-suited to many European and North American roads. Stick to the bitumen and they'll be good here too in those conditions.

Sorry Grubstake I have to disagree (but I am biased towards Subarus). The Forester has many reviews saying it is one of the best off road SUVs.

I am in the WA Subaru 4WD Club and I lead six of them across the Simpson desert, and back to Perth via the Anne Beadell Highway. We did 9000km and about 6000km on unsealed roads and the only problems we had was 3 flat tyres and a bent lower control arm which was straightened out in Birdsville.
We have also done many 4WD tracks and epic cross country trips.

Another thing going for them is their safety features which make them ideal for young drivers and families.

cheers
Pecky

I bought a 2L Subaru Forester Automatic in about 1996 I think. It went everywhere and did it very well. Ground clearance is adequate for anybody with a bit of common sense and the auto is excellent in the bush. When I met Sandra she had two kids so we almost always had a trailer in tow and there really wasn't anywhere we needed to be that we couldn't get to. However we do have bush driving experience.

When the kids were small I drove up Peppermint Grove beach beyond the populated areas, half filled a 7'x4' trailer with nice white beach sand and took it home, then did it again a couple of times.

Suzuki make a great little 4WD that often puts Toorak Tractors to shame

The older versions still command good money, they are proven and have been around for over 35 years. My nephew had one and was the envy of his mates who battled to go where he could, worth a second look into even if a tad small.

brendomac said:
Thanks everyone, one thing I forgot to mention is that an older model Subaru could not get up one of the steeper hills in 4wd mode - could smell the clutch cooking, it was a little too much for it.

Subaru make a great car. Avoid the later models with the cvt Transmissions if you want to get off the bitumen imho.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

One thing that my daughter has found while researching is that some models that used to have 4wd have moved to only AWD. For example: Subaru, Vitara, Rav4.

I'm guessing this is a market thing. The thing that worries me is being able to get parts/service for the older 4wd models.

Admittedly Vitara as a thing called "All-Grip 4wd" Sort of reads like AWD but they say it is 4wd. I don't enough to know better.

The Subaru asymmetrical all wheel drive system is pretty much unchanged in principle since the early models... its just their transmissions that have taken a backward step since around 2013 when they introduced the CVT box and dropped the conventional 5 speed auto and manual transmissions.
Luckily my wife can drive a manual, so I hunted down one of the last models (2011 SH) to offer a stick shift with the dual range transfer box.
I drive a 120 Prado and I can tell you that the Subie will go most places that the Tojo goes and even some places it cant.
Subarus offroad ability is highly underrated :power:
1621486401_96fdb63f-6be1-433c-a53d-25cdb71e90fe.jpg

1621486401_73ff51f6-6a34-43ff-89a0-0fb825d5e672.jpg

Go for a manual (if you can find one) or the conventional 5 speed auto... :Y:

brendomac said:
Hey all,

My daughter is looking to buy a new car. She loves the Jimny, but it might end up being a little small. She wants a 4wd, but generally they are pretty big - think rangers, tritons etc. But there doesn't seem to be anything really in the middle that is affordable as a new car

She isn't looking to do hard-core 4wding, but there are some challenges to some of the locations she wants to visit, probably more steepness and a bit of roughness as opposed to big wheel ruts etc. So one type of car we thought of was an AWD.

Any experiences/views you have had on using an AWD in the bush would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brendomac, if ya daughter's looking at a bit of rough tracks with some steep hills she should look at a 4x4 with low range, she may not need it often but she'll have the ability if needed, there's nothing worse than not being able to get to that spot because of a bit of rough stuff :)

Latest posts