Dumb question no 1?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushranger

Paul
Reaction score
Trying to work out what this is! Found on am mode! It is magnetic. I'm new to detecting/fossicking so I need to ask the dumb question. Any ideas????
1385773588_image.jpg

It is a dark reddish, maroon colour.

It's a blurry rock!:p Seriously, is it really heavy, better pics would be advantageous for better opinions. :)

Very true Goldpick, it could also be a piece of smokey quartz, but very hard to tell from that pic.

Not quartz, and is pretty heavy. Some more pics here.
1385796937_image.jpg

Still got some mud on it, only gave it a quick wash.
1385797048_image.jpg

mfdes said:
Nugget said:
Very true Goldpick, it could also be a piece of smokey quartz, but very hard to tell from that pic.

Not if it's magnetic...

Whoops, I forgot about that important factor :lol:. I guess I was just trying to get the point across that it could be anything based on the blurry pic.

I'm still thinking meteorite.

Thanks for the input! I don't know much about this stuff. Found some other stuff too!
1385799372_image.jpg

I think it's a badge. Writing says...entente cordiale ..us British, German and French flags on it! Pretty cool.

meteorite will have melt points like thump prints all over dose it look like it has melting on it take it to some one to have a look in person is the best bet could be worth money may just be iron stone good luck :)

richo966 said:
meteorite will have melt points like thump prints all over dose it look like it has melting on it take it to some one to have a look in person is the best bet could be worth money may just be iron stone good luck :)
Sorry for side tracking with the badge. Doesn't have the type of thumb printing I've seen in other meteorites online. Does have some though. I just think I'll keep it in the collection of strange finds. Probably will turn out to be ironstone.

get it checked could be worth good money Australia must have just as many as the rest of the world and they will have been moved by floods so you could find one any where :)

richo966 said:
get it checked could be worth good money Australia must have just as many as the rest of the world and they will have been moved by floods so you could find one any where :)
We live in an area that experiences flooding. I found the blurry rock on our block next to a levy bank while testing the new detector. Go figure! We don't have a river at our place but we experience flash flooding from nearby hills.

Nugget, I'll put the badge on the treasure identification threads. Feel free to delete it from this discussion.

Looks Like meteorite ... Ill get my buddy to look at your photo , he has a huge collection...

Latest posts