⭐ Fossil show and tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nugget , got a couple of interesting fossils that are not embedded in rock , but solitary . I beleive them to be

1 Ammonite
2 Acaste

Not sure what the 3rd one is. looks like a crab of sorts

1385711208_ammonite.jpg

1385711242_acaste.jpg

1385711276_crab1.jpg

1385711305_crab2.jpg

Oh , forgot to add , not found by me. The crab thing was given to me by my Dads wifes mother, some years ago , she had 2 & the other had both claws/flippers, whatever they are. The other 2 would have been found in a shop :D

the first is half an ammonite. the second is a trilobite - that looks a little like the ones from Morocco

ya got me stumped on the third one - do tell!

Some great specimens in this thread!

These were found late last year, and the one on the left was the first vertebrate fossil I ever found (after collecting only plants and shells for more than 6 years). It's a pair of two articulated Ichthyosaurus vertebrae and another single Ichthy vertebra from Lyme Regis in England. Picked these up straight off the pebbles on the beach and they are 190 million years old.

1395739424_ichthy_vert_4.jpg

Also found this on the Isle of Wight in England. It is a 30 million year old mammal phalanx, don't know the exact species but it is probably from Bothriodon which resembled a pig but was related to hippos.

1395739718_bouldnor_1.jpg

Paleoworld-101 said:
Some great specimens in this thread!

These were found late last year, and the one on the left was the first vertebrate fossil I ever found (after collecting only plants and shells for more than 6 years). It's a pair of two articulated Ichthyosaurus vertebrae and another single Ichthy vertebra from Lyme Regis in England. Picked these up straight off the pebbles on the beach and they are 190 million years old.

Also found this on the Isle of Wight in England. It is a 30 million year old mammal phalanx, don't know the exact species but it is probably from Bothriodon which resembled a pig but was related to hippos.

I don't know much about fossils but congratulations on your finds:) you must be stoked with them, I would love to come across something like that! Amazing and so interesting:) thanks for sharing!

Hi all, my first post here so be gentle...

Fossilized Clam - From the Ardrossan Cliffs, South Australia

fossilized-clam-001.jpg

fossilized-clam-002.jpg

Needs to be cleaned up a bit, still has pieces of the original shell.

Redmanti said:
A mud lobster fossil. I used to collect these from a beach in the Northern Territory. You would see them in the sand at low side.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/368/1400581517_mudlobster.jpg

And their decendents are still around today - I used to catch them as they came to the mouth of their hole pushing up mud when I was a kid, following dad through the mangroves when you were still allowed to hook mud crabs from their holes in Queensland. Virtually no meat on them except the claws, which are delicious and not at all poisonous as some people claim.

Nice birthday pressie from the cheese & kisses - you must have been extra good or else she hasn't found out what you have been up to!

:)

Latest posts