Can anyone help ID this...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, My name is Ron Long - I'm a long retired Fire Officer and ardent collector & researcher into all aspects of early UK Fire Fighting - particularly the history & equippage of the earliest Fire Brigades as operated & maintained by Insurance Companies. I am in the process of putting together works on various aspects with a view (eventually) to publication. One of my collecting themes is the Buttons of those Insurance Company Firemen that operated in london and the provinces from as early as 1682 - right through to 1924 when the last Insurance Company Fire Brigade (Norwich Union) shut up shop in Worcester. As far as London was concerned, by far the majority of such men plied their trade as Watermen - the Taxi service of the day. There were, at various times, more than 20 Insurance Companies employing as many as 500 men for the protection of the Capitol. One such was the PROTECTOR FIRE OFFICE and your button is one manufactured for either the sleve or waistcoat of a Protector Fireman. I came across your posting here by following up the name (S.S.EDKINS) which appeared on a button very similar to yours that was on Sale on Ebay (ending just a few days ago, and now in my possession) I have taken the liberty - I hope you don't mind, to pirate your pics - at least it has now emerged from obscurity to take its rightful place in the records. I assume that it is 2cm. in diameter ? and of course is different to my recent acquisition in that the backmark address, including "FLEET ST." makes it another variant. Whilst I would love to know just where it was found my assumption is that EDKINS, the possessor of the button die, continued production and whilst unable to hawk his wares in the UK saw Australia as a ready market for "generic" Fireman buttons to equip the emergent Aussi Fire Brigades which were, to a large extent purchasing most of their kit from UK suppliers.
If you have a mind to part with the button I should dearly like you to consider me as a likely contender for its aquisition.
I have attached a page from my embryonic book covering the PROTECTOR. It will be published A4 Landscape format and all buttons are shown double size against a cm/mm grid. My recent purchase is Button 3; and yours Button 4.
Hope this has been of help, Regards, Ron.
1627842871_1825_protector_copy.jpg

Gday Ron,.... well, that is a wealth of information you have posted there, fascinating history.
Indeed I have no objections to your use of my pics, in fact, I am quite chuffed to see them in such a quality format, well done.
Actually the button measures 1 or 25 mm. across
As far as keeping possession of it, well I guess that depends on any persuasion on your part.... ;)
Send me a email with your contact details and I will be only too happy to give you a full rundown on how I came across it.
Or if you are in Adelaide, face to face even better.
Regards Adrian.

Adrian, Good to hear that you are happy with my banditry. Don't know how to contact you - but my email address is - xxxx Look forward to your contact. Ron.

Ron, no private emails or phone numbers can be displayed, hence your email has been deleted by the mods.
To contact me click on the email link below my avatar to send me a email message,
Cheers Adrian.

I can't help but think that it looks like some kind of crude basket strainer that drops into hole.

Its certainly got me stumped. We need an old military vet who may have seen or used one.
Thats if it does have a military connection. The surrounding countryside is now farmland... so may have been introduced to the army barracks area.

Trench art dinner bell ?

That's alot of rivets to hold the strap in the open end, pull a truck with 6 rivets , the strap also overlaps the holes plus the holes appear uneven suggesting they are both after thoughts , it could be a one off recycled invention, maybe hot coals to warm a room with a dull ambience.

Manpa said:
Could it be part of a tent heater? Hold hot coals?
Yeah, I had the same thoughts Manpa.... the camp did have tents, would have been bloody cold in winter.
The U shaped bits on the bottom?... not sure what purpose they serve if its a small coal bucket.
But till proven otherwise.... its a tent heater. :fire:

AF.... Ive hit it with a hammer while its hanging..... just a clanck sound, so wouldnt stir the troops for dinner. :lol:

Is it part of a petrol water heater... the part the petrol drips down into. Camps need a lot of hot water, may of had copper tubing around it too at the time.

OzzieAu said:
Manpa said:
Could it be part of a tent heater? Hold hot coals?
Yeah, I had the same thoughts Manpa.... the camp did have tents, would have been bloody cold in winter.
The U shaped bits on the bottom?... not sure what purpose they serve if its a small coal bucket.
But till proven otherwise.... its a tent heater. :fire:

AF.... Ive hit it with a hammer while its hanging..... just a clanck sound, so wouldnt stir the troops for dinner. :lol:

Yes, those two straps on the bottom confounded me a bit too, I wonder if that allowed them to sit the bucket inside another as a safety to prevent tipping over and to create a double walled heater.

Latest posts