Gold In Tree Trunks?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I got a signal at the base of a big old tree in the golden triangle the other day. It was about 15 metres from some diggings and where I found a 1.5 gram nugget! I dug under said tree and into the root area,then discovered the signal was coming from above the roots, not in the ground.I waved my pinpointed across the tree bark but got no signal, yet the detector gives a strong signal. So is it a bullet embedded in the tree, or can gold be found inside a tree?

It could be a lead shot that has been grown around like this one I found after cutting it open. It was a dead branch on the ground though that set my detector off, with no outside signs of a bullet hole... :eek:
1617857342_7d130f2c-2af2-4fc2-95dc-67757361efbc.jpg

G'day Dubbles.

If you're using a GPZ 7000 then it will likely be the tree root itself. They are notorious for it.
If not, it is possible that gold could be interspersed between the roots if the tree has grown over the piece of gold. I always check fallen trees with roots exposed. You just never know.

Regards Axtyr.

Shotgun pellet would be my bet. Is it possible though? Nothing's impossible.

I am thinking shotty too,but must be deep inside tree as I can't get a signal on my pinpointer!..my plan of attack is to roll my equinox over i in gold mode and compare the signal with lead and gold!

I found the same thing after getting a strong signal around tree roots and after digging deeper down below ground level (without finding any target). It finally dawned on me it may be coming from the tree itself so I also checked the truck low and high. It maybe shotgun pellets and I will check the other side when I go back next week. It is a mining area from the late 1800's.

I've had strong signals on the GPX4500 from the old river gums and I don't think it has anything to do with gold. There's something about the conductivity of the green wood that sets the detector off.

Crocket said:
I found the same thing after getting a strong signal around tree roots and after digging deeper down below ground level (without finding any target). It finally dawned on me it may be coming from the tree itself so I also checked the truck low and high. It maybe shotgun pellets and I will check the other side when I go back next week. It is a mining area from the late 1800's.

I have a video of my detector going off when moving around the truck of this tree, though can't edit and reduce the size of the video to below the 2.2MB upload file size limit. That seems a bit small for videos?
1620346992_181018256_501104024565680_6111307677582256231_n.jpg

Crocket said:
Crocket said:

I have a video of my detector going off when moving around the truck of this tree, though can't edit and reduce the size of the video to below the 2.2MB upload file size limit. That seems a bit small for videos?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...256_501104024565680_6111307677582256231_n.jpg

Crocket, I don't think you can upload a video here. I upload to youtube and then post the link.

JD3 said:
Probably a stray shot. Had numerous of those.
I was getting a strong signal from right down at the roots (under ground) to up as high as I could reach. Will check the other side of the tree when I am next out that area.

Crocket said:
JD3 said:
Probably a stray shot. Had numerous of those.
I was getting a strong signal from right down at the roots (under ground) to up as high as I could reach. Will check the other side of the tree when I am next out that area.
Was out there yesterday. The response was coming from all sides of the tree from root level to as high as I could reach.

The tree was right near a heap of diggings,and was an isolated signal,tried the pinpointed but was too deep to get a signal,weird!