GPX6000... Just A YES Or NO?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave79 said:
Still no after spending 50 hours detecting side by side with a mate and his 6000. It's light and idiot proof but I haven't seen it hit anything amazing yet. It's an all round good machine but not worth the price in my opinion.
Interesting!
Seems it may not be idiot proof after all ;) :lol: O:)

mbasko said:
Dave79 said:
Still no after spending 50 hours detecting side by side with a mate and his 6000. It's light and idiot proof but I haven't seen it hit anything amazing yet. It's an all round good machine but not worth the price in my opinion.
Interesting!
Seen any evidence of the 6000 picking up anything amazing outside of the 0.1g to 1g range? All I've seen in person and on YouTube is idiots and experienced prospectors getting a few little bits or bigger ones that any $3000 detector would ping.

Dave79 said:
Seen any evidence of the 6000 picking up anything amazing outside of the 0.1g to 1g range? All I've seen in person and on YouTube is idiots and experienced prospectors getting a few little bits or bigger ones that any $3000 detector would ping.

Mmmmm ...... at the moment, apart from a few exceptions, it looks as though the 6000 is at least as good as the SDC.

Wonder how many 6000 users had seriously detected the ground with an SDC previously, I few claim they have.

A few seem to be experiencing high levels of "chatter", could just be user inexperience, with the unit at the moment but running much quieter with the DD coil.

My only experience is with a very experienced 5000 user now using the 6000 ...... he's finding heaps of smaller stuff where he has detected previously ..... but then again he had his 5000 set for larger/deeper targets (and the SDC "may" have found them ???). We're talking Vic. GT here not the "richer" WA or Qld areas where operators on good ground will find gold with just about any unit.

It's better than the SDC.
Finds the same gold & more + finds it deeper. No doubt about it at all! I didn't need 50hrs with it to see that!

Yes most finds to date are small 0.01 to 1 gram bits but then most people are going over old spots to test it out. Once realising what it can do they are continuing to visit old spots & collect the scraps. It's been out what 3 weeks?

I don't rely on YouTube to gauge results. I go off my own experiences & those experiences to date on well visited public areas tells me that it's better than both the SDC & previous GPX's on the small <1 gram gold & will give the GPZ a good run. Couldn't care less what anyone else believes from YouTube etc. - actually I would prefer less people get them.

They won't suit everyone.
Too much chatter? Don't overdrive it. Users will soon work out manual "sensitivity" isn't really about sensitivity ;)
A GPX with large coil will go deeper.
A GPZ will go deeper.
Yes a $3000 detector (show me where to buy this $3k machine) might find some of the bits shown on YouTube (or all) but then again it might not either?
It is what it is. Get one, don't get one (please don't).
This is new technology at ground zero. No big coil yet so we'll see what happens then?
Yes it's expensive!
P.s. Ergonomically it blows the SDC, previous GPX's & the GPZ out of the water. Not even in the same league!
Ease of operation - almost on par with the SDC, better than previous GPX's & maybe slightly better than the GPZ. Still some seem to be struggling with simplicity?
Bottom line is they are all very good detectors!

It's found us a new area to hit after finding gold during a "training" session on a spot we'd visited previously twice with SDC & GPX4500 for no results.
To date the best bit I've seen the GPX6000 pick up (& pick it up easily) came from here & was a deep conglomerate specimen. This has now been partially cleaned & there is at least 2 grams of visible gold showing. Don't know what would be in it all up & being a conglomerate SG testing won't help. It's a unique piece & won't be crushed.

Next week we'll be on some better ground so will see more what it's capable of. And yes we'll be visiting some old spots to get those leftover scraps :Y:

Teemore said:
Dave79 said:

Mmmmm ...... at the moment, apart from a few exceptions, it looks as though the 6000 is at least as good as the SDC.

Wonder how many 6000 users had seriously detected the ground with an SDC previously, I few claim they have.

A few seem to be experiencing high levels of "chatter", could just be user inexperience, with the unit at the moment but running much quieter with the DD coil.

My only experience is with a very experienced 5000 user now using the 6000 ...... he's finding heaps of smaller stuff where he has detected previously ..... but then again he had his 5000 set for larger/deeper targets (and the SDC "may" have found them ???). We're talking Vic. GT here not the "richer" WA or Qld areas where operators on good ground will find gold with just about any unit.

Its a.....

GPZ7000 with standard coil (Give or take)
GPX5000/4500 with large mono coil
GPX5000/4500 with small mono coil
SDC2300 with standard coil

All in one unit...

With a similar weight (0.6 kg heavier) and ease of use as a..

Gold Monster 1000.

You tell me......just how many times do you want to cover some ground with different machines and different coils??

Personally, because I'm lazy, once or twice is my limit.

Now if only there was such a machine available..

Build quality of coils could be a lot better and the price could be more competitive..... but then the competition is nowhere to be seen.

As of yet.

Either way it's an impressive unit but not worth buying imho if you already have a couple of the above mentioned machines unless you find the weight and balance of some of the above units a bit hard on the body after a few hours.

:beer: :beer: :goldnugget: :D

Just to set the record straight ...... I was NOT bagging the 6000, just responding with my view on Dave79's post based on a VERY experienced 5000 operator but who has never put an SDC over his spots ..... obviously he'll find small stuff with the 6000 that he may have found with the SDC (if he used one or let people detect his areas). I don't place much credence on youtube stuff .... most are posting to get some financial gain ....... so need to maybe enjoy it but don't believe all of it.

Personally, can't wait to get one and believe there are too few out there at the moment to get a real appreciation of what they're capable of.

Minelab have delivered ..... responded years ago to a marketing thingo where, to my mind, they needed a GPX powered unit with SDC simplicity, to me it seemed a no brainer with 4500/5000 users day after day looking for those "perfect" settings ..... the 6000 seems to have hit the spot.

1621042517_a214023f-8a74-4c52-b0ee-9f81bdc8f1f9.jpg
Dave79 said:
mbasko said:
Dave79 said:
Interesting!

Dave79 said:
mbasko said:
Dave79 said:
Interesting!
First day I got a 3 grammer. Admittedly it was a sunbaker....BUT...If I had not detected the 3 smaller bits about 20 metres further up, I would not have slowed down and carefully checked the area. The sunbaker was just under a shrub branch.
Small bits may often lead to bigger bits.
Have now got 17 bits out of the same area.
But yeah dont buy one. They are crap ;)

Similar results here kingswod,out crumbing for a cuppla days last week due to that weather.
An old spot i'd got a cuppla specis with the 45 yrs ago i went back to and small bits started popping up,then a screamer,only 1 gram but it was missed,could of been anything,i picked up 2 tiny bits in one spot on top more or less,i noticed a boot scrape close to one from an hour or so b4,it was that close i thought i'd better investigate that again,yep a half gr bit deep,walked the fringes of these patches that morning for 2 hours for nothing.
Bumped into the boss on my way back to the productive area and she had 3 small bits with the 7 to my 0,then 2-3hrs later i had 14 bits and we hit 1/2oz which was ok for crumbing.
The 6 actually is finding so many small bits in this area we may peg it and dryblow it one day,there's a bit of depth to the soil.
Terrible detector,i wouldn't recommend it to anyone,expensive,heavy and awkward,what were they thinking.....

A mate found large specimen bits straight off a GT reef with his 6K, that other detectors couldn't hear.
They were all "prickly crystalline" gold.
His SDC had missed them (presumably because of depth), and his 7K also missed - not sure why?
I bought a gold specimen from Money Box about a year back that he claimed was undetectable gold with his GPX (just found with an SDC).
Lots of gold in it, but was amazingly undetectable with my 4500 (so many very small specs of gold insulated by quartz - no significant Eddy current conductive loops).
I've a 6K on order, so will be sure to see how it goes on that specimen.
So have changed my vote from No to Yes.

Just on the chatter, the manual kinda indicates (to me anyway) that the DD is a kinda last resort or should be used in areas with known high EMI or very conductive soils. I prefer to drop the sensitivity down a bit if the noise cancels dont tame the EMI, but i have found that generally they do. Sometimes when especially bad EMI, I have done a couple of them straight after each other and the noise settles....
After using the 7000 in normal, the chatter from the 6000 is nothing :)

Latest posts