Whinge of the day thread...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka said:
Told today that one of North Brisbane's largest Coles Supermarkets is now SELF SERVE ONLY, no checkout operators. This is a huge mistake by Coles as older customers will leave and seek alternatives. With lockdowns in other states, it won't be long before an interstater spreads their germs in Qld and another lockdown will happen. Some elderly people, enjoy communicating with the operator they have been talking to for years as this is a form of mental therapy for them, someone to talk to, someone that says, "Hello, how are you how has your day been?"
As i mentioned in a previous post, Coles Butchers are finished and now it appears the Checkout Operators are on the slippery slide as well. Online orders i believe are part of the reason and the young wanting to get in and out as quickly as possibly so they use the self serve. Well, one day they are also going to get olld and there won't be anyone to help them at the register.
End of whine.
Mackka :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Im only 48 and occasionally I don't go through the self serve coz i just feel like a quick chat. It's allways a polite and happy responce so thats probably why i do it.

I'd rather self serve than the checkout at Aldi. It's like they can't go fast enough to get me out the store.

Upside said:
Wishfull said:
Upside said:
Wishfull said:
Our Local council really make thing hard fir everyone.
Bought a carport from a NSW company and because of covid it has taken months to get to me. Now council want a structural engineers report before even looking at my plans. Geez !
No wonder this town is dying out. You cant get anything done anymore.
Thats my 5 cents worth.

Don't get me started on councils. Ours spent over 30 grand on blossom trees down the main street. They all died. Now we've got about 40 dead blossom trees 10 foot high sitting a metre out into the road.

Or how about when they bought this bees knees lawn slasher. Beautiful machine, worth a mint but it's too big to fit into spots the old slasher could reach between signs etc. It's sitting in the council shed used once in a year.

W@nkers.

Watch this space. I have a couple of mates who are builders looking at this soon who have been in the game for 50 years.

Cheers
surely a builders report would get it over the line? It's a shed, not a bridge..
Not even a shed mate. Its a car port.

20xwater said:
Mackka said:
Told today that one of North Brisbane's largest Coles Supermarkets is now SELF SERVE ONLY, no checkout operators. This is a huge mistake by Coles as older customers will leave and seek alternatives. With lockdowns in other states, it won't be long before an interstater spreads their germs in Qld and another lockdown will happen. Some elderly people, enjoy communicating with the operator they have been talking to for years as this is a form of mental therapy for them, someone to talk to, someone that says, "Hello, how are you how has your day been?"
As i mentioned in a previous post, Coles Butchers are finished and now it appears the Checkout Operators are on the slippery slide as well. Online orders i believe are part of the reason and the young wanting to get in and out as quickly as possibly so they use the self serve. Well, one day they are also going to get olld and there won't be anyone to help them at the register.
End of whine.
Mackka :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Im only 48 and occasionally I don't go through the self serve coz i just feel like a quick chat. It's allways a polite and happy responce so thats probably why i do it.

Unfortunately I reckon all the stores pretty much end up doing this. I like being served by someone for at least 3 reasons:

1) It's creating jobs for people. Even if the pay is poor, a couple of extra people are not going to kill all shareholders dividends.
2) It sucks for a large shop. Unless you are buying one or two items, forget scanning them, especially if one is awkward and cant sit in the bagging area properly.
3) Regardless of whether I am served or or self scan my own crap, I still pay the same amount! What a scam! If a billion-dollar company gives me a discount on the goods, I'd think about it. Otherwise, I'm lining up and they can serve me!

Phil8303 said:
20xwater said:
Mackka said:
End of whine.

Unfortunately I reckon all the stores pretty much end up doing this. I like being served by someone for at least 3 reasons:

1) It's creating jobs for people. Even if the pay is poor, a couple of extra people are not going to kill all shareholders dividends.
2) It sucks for a large shop. Unless you are buying one or two items, forget scanning them, especially if one is awkward and cant sit in the bagging area properly.
3) Regardless of whether I am served or or self scan my own crap, I still pay the same amount! What a scam! If a billion-dollar company gives me a discount on the goods, I'd think about it. Otherwise, I'm lining up and they can serve me!
Self serve is anti social like texting I spose.
I know someone that can't spell so he sits there talking to his phone for hours using speech to text conversion.

100% correct 20Xwater, it is the social contact of the checkout operator that could be the difference between depression and a good day for some people. Depression is another subject covered in Lets Talk but only yesterday my wife and i had to go to the funeral directors to pick up her Mums Death Certificate and she was told they an increase in suicides this year particularly the young snd frail . Sad really.
Mackka

Mackka said:
100% correct 20Xwater, it is the social contact of the checkout operator that could be the difference between depression and a good day for some people. Depression is another subject covered in Lets Talk but only yesterday my wife and i had to go to the funeral directors to pick up her Mums Death Certificate and she was told they an increase in suicides this year particularly the young snd frail . Sad really.
Mackka
Sorry to hear that mate.
I watch this YouTuber that tells story's about his experiences in jail. One story was about his first bus when he got out, he couldn't believe how quiet it was, he remembers it being loud from all the conversations going on, now everyone's face is buried in these smart phones.

G'day

For us older folk service was something that was the norm when we were young, so it effects us more than younger folk as they only know what they get now, most businesses were very focused on customer service and quality rather than just getting your cash and then giving you the bums rush out the door, most businesses put customers first and profits second, as its fostered loyalty and repeat business for them, how things have changed, now its all about the money and screw the customer.

Remember the days when you went into the petrol station and an attendant came out put the fuel in for you, checked your oil and cleaned your windscreen, now you get to do it yourself and pay more than you ever did for the fuel, it all started when they conned us into believing that self serve stations would make it quicker to get your fuel and they touted that it would make it so much cheaper for the fuel as well, yeah right.

Going to the bank was the same, you got service and help with doing your transactions and other business, now its all about online banking and teller machines, and using a smart phone to pay your way through life, got to admit that it makes me shitty to stand inline behind some snot at the servo who piss farts around on his phone for ten minutes to pay for fuel and coffee when there is myself and ten people behind me just wanting to pay and get out of the place, also many bank branches have now closed and teller machines are being closed rapidly as well.

So its no surprise that super markets are heading this way as well, they must save a massive amount of money making it all self serve and getting rid of the front end staff, at some places I have seen the check out person is firmly seated on their ass and you get to fill your bags yourself, at one well known place that I used to shop at that sells auto accessories (Super Cheap) had me stunned when the checkout person telling me to scan my member card myself after it rolled its eyes at me when I tried to pass it to it, and then took a step back and tossed my receipt on to the counter at me, only go there now when there is no other choice.

In short I am glad that I am near to the end of my life and I believe that we lived through the best times between the sixties and late nineties, makes me sad to see how things are going now and what our children and grandies will have to face in their lives even though I suppose that they wont know any better, or that it could have been much better for them in their lives as it was in ours had the world not turned into the greedy hateful place that it is today.

cheers

stayyerAU

I agree Stayer, but as I said to my kids when we visited colonial museums like Swan Hill, Echuca, Sovereiegn Hill, the people who lived in those times knew nothing different, that was just life in Aus at the time, from the late 1800s on we saw advancements in building, transport, cropping, communications etc.
Each generation has seen advancement and change, some for the better and some seen by us as worse but in 30 years my grandkids will be showing their kids how we lived in the 70s to the 90s and they will think we did it tough, but we knew no different. I understand your concerns around service but the younger generation seem to be more about being time rich for entertainment, travel, relaxation etc.

As Dylan sang, the times they are a changing.

Stayyer and Pa you are both spot on. As a young brickies labourer , i made extra money as a bowser boy, 7 days a week . After work Monday -Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday. I enjoyed it because i got to meet lots of different people from lots of different working vocations, good times. Today, people have their heads down texting or whatever on their phones and do not understand the fine art of communication. Those early days taught me to converse with all types, from the down trodden to Prime Ministers and all inbetween, but that cannot be said of the younger folk today in most cases.
Mackka

That's true and lack of communication is a unhealthy society, small towns were everyone knows everyone are safe community's because everyone helps everyone and if someone does steal or do something wrong it is alot harder to get away with it.
Alot of city folk don't even know their neighbours, gone are the days of knowing everyone in your street or suburb, how can people respect and look out for each other if they don't know them.
Covid has shown small towns follow the rules and locally people were wearing masks in shops before it was mandatory, because they care about their community.
Mobile phones and text and emails are great business tools but for social purposes they are a step in the wrong direction. We are lucky schools and tv shows are promoting singing and public performances otherwise young people would totally loose any public confidence.
I teach my young fella manners and make him talk to shop assistants and ask people questions to try give him the best social skills possible.

aussiefarmer said:
That's true and lack of communication is a unhealthy society, small towns were everyone knows everyone are safe community's because everyone helps everyone and if someone does steal or do something wrong it is alot harder to get away with it.
Alot of city folk don't even know their neighbours, gone are the days of knowing everyone in your street or suburb, how can people respect and look out for each other if they don't know them.
Covid has shown small towns follow the rules and locally people were wearing masks in shops before it was mandatory, because they care about their community.
Mobile phones and text and emails are great business tools but for social purposes they are a step in the wrong direction. We are lucky schools and tv shows are promoting singing and public performances otherwise young people would totally loose any public confidence.
I teach my young fella manners and make him talk to shop assistants and ask people questions to try give him the best social skills possible.

Spot on mate. Since moving to the country I know everyone of my neighbours and we also have all except 1 of them their phone numbers. We also pass fruit and veges we all grow between each other. In the city I said hi once to 2 neighbours in 15 years. Pretty sad in hindsight.

Nightjar said:
Was elated finding this link advising pensioners we were getting a well overdue increase.
Elation turned to disgust.
WOW! We can go out and have a splurge spending the extra $/day the government will be giving pensioners come 20/09.
An absolute insult. ]:D

https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/...ampaign monitor&utm_term=Age Pension increase

My initial thought was its spag bog money. I'd say it's not fair but I've spent time in se Asia. Watching a guy with no legs drag himself back under his corrugated iron hut while living next door in a 4 star hotel was a bit tough to see.