Possible GPZ Ground Noise?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Im new to fairly new to detecting. I have come across a little patch today and have pulled out a few pieces and thought I had found a faint target and gave dug down a good half a metre and now cant decide if its a target or ground noise. I tried to upload a clip for reference but havent worked out how to attach or if its to big to attach?

You can backlink a Youtube video using the icon on right side of chat box if that helps. Image sizes here are pretty small, a video would certainly be over the limit. :Y:

Heatho said:
If you're getting deeper and the target isn't getting louder then probably ground noise.
It has gotten louder since going deeper but not a distinct high low noise.

OldGT said:
You can backlink a Youtube video using the icon on right side of chat box if that helps. Image sizes here are pretty small, a video would certainly be over the limit. :Y:
cant share links until I have made atleast 10 posts apparently. I have loaded a video to youtube though.

Teemore said:
GB next to the area first and see if the target response is still there .... if it is then,

GB on the actual target response area ...... if it disappears then obviously ground noise.
Ok thanks for that Ill try it out when I get the chance to get back out there. :Y:

Bronc said:
OldGT said:
cant share links until I have made atleast 10 posts apparently. I have loaded a video to youtube though.

Is this it?
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/943TNQylamg[/video]

Bronc said:
Teemore said:
GB next to the area first and see if the target response is still there .... if it is then,

GB on the actual target response area ...... if it disappears then obviously ground noise.
Ok thanks for that Ill try it out when I get the chance to get back out there. :Y:

Just noticed the video has been posted for you ..... disregard my comments, didn't realise you were using a GPZ, I don't use one and am not aware of how to best utilise them, so my advice may be inappropriate.

Someone with GPZ knowledge should be able to help.

Teemore said:
Bronc said:
Teemore said:

Just noticed the video has been posted for you ..... disregard my comments, didn't realise you were using a GPZ, I don't use one and am not aware of how to best utilise them, so my advice may be inappropriate.

Someone with GPZ knowledge should be able to help.
Yeah probably should have mentioned that I was using a gpz

You've dug a deep but narrow hole, bronc and I reckon the best thing to do now would be to use a detector with a smaller coil in the hole to see whether that gives a clear signal. Some people have successfully used an SDC to do this sort of pinpointing. If you don't have access to anything with a smaller coil that will fit, I think your only alternative is to widen the hole so that the GPZ coil fits into it.

G'day Bronc.

Looking at the video it does sound like mineralisation, but because you are pushing down over the signal it is difficult to tell. The only way to pick up a signal is when you swing the coil from side to side which you cannot do with the way the hole has been dug.

It is possible that the target is to one side of the hole you have dug, so the signal is getting a little louder but not like you are over the top of the signal.
First up, widen the hole.
Tree roots are notorious for giving a signal on the GPZ.

Since the signal is getting louder it is a good chance to be a metal target. I suggest you dig about another 300mm all the way around the hole and about half the depth of the existing hole. If the signal doesn't increase in volume then it is most likely ground noise, and if it disappears then you have dug it out.

Sometimes the signal will disappear when the mineralised ground is broken up. Once I dug down about 300mm and the signal never changed, then I knew it was mineralisation.

If you even suspect that the signal is a target, don't give up until you are satisfied you have dug down deep enough and the sound hasn't increased, or you hit a tree root or the target.

Especially since you haven't been detecting very long, dig everything. You need to know the difference between mineralisation and metal and the only way to do that is to dig every signal and be mindful that a target's volume increases as you get closer to it, but mineralised ground doesn't.

You are probably running in Difficult so most mineralisation will be filtered out, but there are still occasions where the mineralisation will still get through. If you are running it in Normal then switch to Difficult and check the hole again, that is what I do.

Good luck and may it be a good nugget.

Regards Axtyr.

Couldn't agree more;

Sometimes the signal will disappear when the mineralised ground is broken up. Once I dug down about 300mm and the signal never changed, then I knew it was mineralisation.

If you even suspect that the signal is a target, don't give up until you are satisfied you have dug down deep enough and the sound hasn't increased, or you hit a tree root or the target.

and

Tree roots are notorious for giving a signal on the GPZ.

....also, I try DEEP setting and see if the target localizes more. Many good tips here, I myself have dug quite a few ground noises - lately it has been damp iron rich red clay soil, sometimes with charcoal from bush fires. I dug through 200mm of this stuff then it completely disappeared. Went over everything....nothing was there. Breaking up the clay dissipated the signal.

Re: Some people ( me with a Z) have successfully used an SDC (Wifes) to do this sort of pinpointing. But SWMBO gets annoyed having to stop detecting and walk over from 100+m away in rough country to do the pin pointing especially if I only find rubbish.

grubstake said:
Bronc said:
OldGT said:

Is this it?
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/943TNQylamg[/video]

100% that is a target, I'm picking junk (looks like the edge of a mullock heap) but if it's not then ... :D :Y:

axtyr said:
You are probably running in Difficult so most mineralisation will be filtered out, but there are still occasions where the mineralisation will still get through. If you are running it in Normal then switch to Difficult and check the hole again, that is what I do.
100%, thats why i asked too :)

Latest posts