A Portuguese family in HB

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :D

thank you for having me and my family in this forum.

I arrived Australia 2 years ago, having fishing as my main hobby. I love fishing. About 5 months ago, I moved to Hervey Bay, and fishing went up to a level that I really cant keep up with.
My last visit to BCF looking for tips on the best lure to chase Tunas on the Bay, ended up chatting with an old gentleman about prospecting for gold, and how similar it is to recreational fishing... with the advantage of not needing a boat, or being limited to the weather conditions (rain, wind, waves, etc).

I realized that I have been watching tv shows for the past 2 years about people hunting for gold.

I am going to give it a go.
So, I hope to have some good experiences to share at this forum soon.

Cheers and enjoy your hunting.
:goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

Welcome TheNewAussie,
Gold Fever is a great hobby that is never cured. Don't be disappointed if you don't find gold immediately. Read as much as you can to gain experience.
Good luck, hope to see a photo on here when you find your first.

Thanks to fishing I am used to react positively when I catch nothing. I am not counting on getting lucky on my first adventures. Maybe some nails, :D
But thank you for the incentive. I will keep the group noticed :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

Nightjar said:
Welcome TheNewAussie,
Gold Fever is a great hobby that is never cured. Don't be disappointed if you don't find gold immediately. Read as much as you can to gain experience.
Good luck, hope to see a photo on here when you find your first.

Welcome TheNewAussie
Always great to have New Aussies :Y:
I started gold detecting around 12 years back, and it took around 6 months to find my first nugget, but I did it solo.
Now with experience, I find gold most trips (but not all).
Find some fellow prospectors in your area to give you a hand: show you around and show you the ground and other signs to look for.
You'll learn much faster that way - like fishing.

Hey BigWave.

Just like in fishing, the secrets are not easy to get from others. I understand I'll have to start building my "manual" from scratch.
I'm sure, 12 years ago, when you started, getting information was even harder. Now, with internet, things are different.
Also here in Hervey Bay i don't know if there is a club or something similar.

TheNewAussie. There'll be PA members in your area mate.
Down here in Vic we often take new members and beginners out to new sites.
The only secrets are patches that we haven't finished detecting.
With new ground, it's great to have a few more to get better and wider ground coverage.

Latest posts