Dry Shaker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dry Shaker? ... Up until yesterday I never seen or heard of the dry stacker. But to my way of thinking it would be a very good tool to have in your kit. My question is this, has anyone seen one in use and or worked one? They were used in S.A and W.A?

1616456922_7911.jpg

1616456950_8011.jpg

1616456973_8111.jpg

Handbook on prospecting in South Australia.
Corporate Author: South Australia
Published: Adelaide, K. M. Stevenson, Govt. printer, 1952.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015068535635&view=1up&seq=88

Basically a mini portable dry blower, with out the blowing - just the shaking. Really like the classifier system. Maybe a good weekend DIY project, though probably best for summer - not sure how damp material, especially in Vic would go?

I think the direction of the shaking is important so the gold stays behind the riffles as the flat steel would allow it to shake side to side but not front to back. Interesting contraption.

I think your quite right in what you say, I also think it is quite interesting. :Y:

That would be good if you could mate. Thanks, I been looking on the net for any reference about them but there is nothing. But they must have worked or they would not have mentioned then in the S.A government Handbook on prospecting. Cheers Jemba

I never realised that so many of these machines existed. I've seen the evidence of their work all over the place and wondered how they processed the the dirt. One of our leases here close to town has a surface with just small piles all close together unlike left by the modern dryblower. I thought perhaps worked with a rocker box of some kind but after reading this it was most likely worked by multiple very small dryblowers. They did a great job because there's not much surface gold left only may hundreds of cans and bottles. I'm counting on the cans having protected the gold that's left. Nobody can successfully work a metal detector because some of the rusty metal has been turned over with the dirt.

Jemba, I've had a bit of a look for an old photo of the machine we saw two guys using at Mt Surprize but so far I've not found it.

Latest posts