OzzieAu's Recent local finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe its a door bell, bell missing from the hook, similar to these.
1617528383_1a35627f-4020-4a14-afd1-a2f9dfdd10e5.jpg

1617528398_b420a212-3cfd-4ad1-83a4-df99bcd9ed0e.jpg

I think its too small for a hook Manpa and theres no hook, only an almost closed loop. I was leaning towards maybe a drawer pull or knob of some sort. It fits the thumb and first two fingers for the purpose.

How did you manage to get that dirty grey crust off, I've tried all sorts of acids and abrasives and never found anything that gets rid of it.

I sort of experimented by soaking them in a bicarb solution in a saucepan lined with aluminium foil and bringing it up to very hot, but not boiling. After cooling off I cut a lemon in half an squeezed the juice out of one half. I filled the lemon skin with bicarb and some water and put the coins in and gently rubbed them between my fingers with the fizzy paste.... This didnt seem to do much, but then I decided to gently rub them on some alfoil with plenty of the paste. I noticed the paste start to darken as the oxides were releasing from the coins.
Bingo... they looked silver again.
I think too much rubbing them this way will cause some abrasion to the surface, so gently does it.

I'll give that a go when I get a day off after the weekend, I've tried heating on foil in a bicarbonate solution too and it got a little bit off but would take hours to get as clean as those ones.