Suggestions for beginner wanting to get a taste of prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huzee

Simon
Reaction score
Hi there,
Just saw a show on Television that has inspired me to head out and give prospecting a bit of a go. I hear Powelltown and Ballarat have some great creeks to try out. Can anyone PM some places that I should check out.
Cheers
Simon

Hi Simon, first of all welcome to the forum.

Are you interested in chasing gold, gems or both?

You'll probably find people will be a little reluctant to give up their spots to randoms (no disrespect), but I'm sure as you emerge yourself in the topics you'll start to build relationships with fellow members and pick yourself up a few pointers here and there.

Best of luck out there.

Nugget.

Welcome to the forum Simon. There's a lot of valuable info within the threads and I'm sure with a bit of research you will soon gain many productive prospecting grounds in your region. Best of luck with the adventure,

Cheers Wal.

Huzee said:
Hi there,
Just saw a show on Television that has inspired me to head out and give prospecting a bit of a go. I hear Powelltown and Ballarat have some great creeks to try out. Can anyone PM some places that I should check out.
Cheers
Simon

Welcome Huzee, If you live in Melbourne a visit to Warrandyte is a good introduction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrandyte_State_Park

casper

Your clearly in Vic huzee where abouts are you? There are a few spots around metro Melbourne I can point to but of gold is your choice as Zuke said get up to eldardo.

Hey Thanks Everyone for making me feel so welcome already !!!

I am happy to travel anywhere in Melbs, I love the outdoors. I am keen on Gems and Gold, I can remember going gold panning as a child and gathering small specs of gold. I am more interested in Gems and not really interested in the monetary benefits, more so the spiritually rewarding side of getting out and about in nature with the possibility of finding some nice gemstones.

Can someone please inform me as to how I can send/receive private messages ?

G'day Huzzee, to enable the PM function you have to have made 10 posts on the forum. The function will automatically engage once these posts have been made. Only 8 more to go mate.

Cheers Wal.

Hey huzee, welcome! If you're down melbourne Geelong way, would love to try some fossicking places with you sometime! Had much luck so far?

Hey Kitangel, I was thinking of heading out this weekend, do you know some places we can search ? Email me and we can catch up if you like :D
A friend of mine just found an amazing smoky quartz near Cairns and I'm aching to get out and about.
Hope to hear from you soon...
:D

Huzee,

Welcome to the forum mate, What show did you watch to get inspired? (Maybe I can get my wife to watch it) :p

What sort of equipment do you have? (If any)

I can show you a few spots around Warrandyte next week if interested. ;)

Get back to me......

GT

Thanks GT, I am just awaiting a response in another forum in relation to the name of that show on Pay TV. It was in the rockies and looked like so much fun.
My Equipment:
A keen eye
High levels of enthusiasm/motivation
A Car
Picks/Shovels
A burning desire to learn

On second thought a lot of those are characteristics and not equipment ;)

welcome m8 if your after the gems poweltown is the place to go just take some salt for the leechers lol you could allways go to sovereign hill ballarat for gold at least youll find some :)

Hi Huzee and Kitangel

I travel to Ballarat most weekends, I'm also relatively new to prospecting. If you are looking for someone to tag along l would be interested.

Haul so far - a few pretty rocks and gold specks :lol:

Hi Huzee,

I am also new to this site, so hello everyone, and am keen to also do some gem stone fossicking..

The show you have been watching is called "Prospectors" and they are hunting for gems on Mount Antero in Colorado along with some other areas. (Can you guess I've been watching it too)

I would love to tag along with any type of gem hunting expedition you guys might organise.

Cheers,
Mark

Latest posts