Opal Fossicking in Outback QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm currently making my way through outback QLD (staying at Charleville to begin with) and am looking to do some Opal hunting with my wife and kids near Yowah, Quilpie etc. And make our way up North as we go on.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where we can or should go?

Any tips for beginners?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :p

Pretty easy to find colour noodling at Opalton. Checkout by the creek at Opalton International Spaceport (aka the dirt airstrip) :)

Only remains of town is a small caravan park. Basic but friendly with nice display of cut boulder opal.

1 1/2hrs to Lark Quarry Dinosaur Tracks from Winton (mix of dirt & sealed) then about an hour to Opalton (good dirt). Well worth going to Lark Quarry even if dont go to Opalton

Found a little bit of colour, I'll try again in Opalton maybe with a black light.
1615107741_20210307_185541.jpg

I'm a mine owner, it makes me see red when I read some of the drivel in these type of posts.
Stick to the gazetted fossicking areas.
Don't go anywhere near current leases or claims.
You definitely need a fossicking licence signed by the property owner to fossick elsewhere, this does not give you permission to venture onto current leases or claims.
Don't go cutting up the roads after rain.
If you "happen" to pass a lease or claim and think you see an opal, leave it alone, it belongs to the lease/claim owner, they just haven't picked it up yet. it might just be that piece might pay his next food bill.

Don't get stuck in a bog, it could be days until someone comes your way.
Property owners take a very dim view of people who "just stop to have a look".
With Bio-security regulations you are required to wash down your vehicle before entering a property to prevent the spread of noxious weeds and diseases.

It's us miners who cop it when gates are not left as they are found or reported to the graziers. You can't just do as you please in the bush.

By the way, don't believe all the hype of these opal hunter shows. They are mostly staged, Boulder boys are pretty close to reality with Greg and Ash, all the others are dreaming with the outrageous prices they come up with. Weigh up all the costs before you race out west, It took me 17 years to turn a profit, it's not that easy.

I've been watching outback opal on 7mate every Tuesday and they must think we are all dummies. There are 2 south african rookie guys fumbling their way around the opal fields and at times finding payable opal in 2 days. What a load of shit. I do agree with Ken Ken that first time opalers need to be aware of property boundaries and the conditions before venturing out.

My father was an Opal miner at the ridge until he passed a few years back. He'd be laughing his head off at the rubbish Outback Opal hunter throws up weekly.

And if you do... well don't look at the ground while you talk to him :Y: ..... ever ! :eek:

(sorry Ken)

I did really well at yowah last last year. Or at least I was very happy with what I found.
There are more then enough fossicking areas that there is no need to poach.

Definitely a spot I will go back to

Conan said:
I've been watching outback opal on 7mate every Tuesday and they must think we are all dummies. There are 2 south african rookie guys fumbling their way around the opal fields and at times finding payable opal in 2 days. What a load of shite. I do agree with Ken Ken that first time opalers need to be aware of property boundaries and the conditions before venturing out.
Next you'll be saying Santa isn't real :) to be fair though the one SA bloke who stayed on (the one who brought the excavator) didn't spot opal for over 5 months according to his own words on the show.

20k for excavator
Heaps in fuel
Accommodation

His Mrs aint gonna be happy.

Surely he gets something from the producers.

Bobsugar said:
Conan said:
I've been watching outback opal on 7mate every Tuesday and they must think we are all dummies. There are 2 south african rookie guys fumbling their way around the opal fields and at times finding payable opal in 2 days. What a load of shite. I do agree with Ken Ken that first time opalers need to be aware of property boundaries and the conditions before venturing out.
Next you'll be saying Santa isn't real :) to be fair though the one SA bloke who stayed on (the one who brought the excavator) didn't spot opal for over 5 months according to his own words on the show.

20k for excavator
Heaps in fuel
Accommodation

His Mrs aint gonna be happy.

Surely he gets something from the producers.

Plus he trekked across to Mintabie to buy a dud parcel of opal that he imagined he could profitably resell!

By the way, don't believe all the hype of these opal hunter shows. They are mostly staged, Boulder boys are pretty close to reality with Greg and Ash, all the others are dreaming with the outrageous prices they come up with. Weigh up all the costs before you race out west, It took me 17 years to turn a profit, it's not that easy.
Thanks Ken, we’re (wife and myself) ( late 60’s) planning on staying 3+ nights in the he next few days. Your insight is appreciated as we don’t want to ruffle any feathers

By all means have a good holiday, have fun, find some opal, there is plenty left in the fossicking areas. Just but do it legally.
Thanks Ken
intend too
My family has a deep history in mining hopefully that helps me out in finding some specimens 🤞