Anvil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1613374503_images.jpeg-153.jpg

Beware of the cheap cast iron anvils - they are almost useless for serious use.

Second hand anvils are very well sought after and get some ridiculous prices. Someone offered me one with a very bad face and very damaged hardy and pritchel holes for well over $1,000.

Your best bet is to find one in a farm shed of an acquaintance or relative, as when the come up in clearing sales they usually go for a good price.

If you want one, it might be best to dig deep and get a new one from here:

https://watersidemetalart.org/anvils/

I've got a small one that I made for my father when I was an apprentice Fitter & Turner about 40 years ago. When he passed away last year It came my way again. They're handy to have around. I do recall as an apprentice there was a great big old fair dinkum one in the Welders section of the workshop, that was guarded jealously by our old resident welder. He retired around 1984 so I guess he must have seen a bit in his time.

I remember him telling me once that when he started working, most factories still had a Blacksmith along with all the other metal trades. He said that a good Blacksmith had his own anvil, and he was judged by how he could form work on it and not leave any hammer marks. He told me that after I had beaten the crap out of something, thinking I had done a good job because it was covered in hammer marks and looked handmade :8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts