Bone Conduction Headphones - Experiences?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, I had to buy new headphones for my GPX 5000, So I bought Sportz Titanium headphones with a mic. from After Shokz. They give a very strong signal on a target, on a big target they don't blast the sound into you ears because the phones sit infront of your ears against the top of the cheek bones, that is fantastic. First I tried it with a 15" Evo but the EMI was very strong, nearly unusable, then I tried it with a 12" Evo that was much better but still the EMI was very annoying and I was scared of not hearing the very faint signals. Has anybody had experience with Bone COnduction headphones from a different manufacturer?

Hi all,
Another topic raised the ear health concerns of wearing earphones or headphones all day esp in humid climates. For some this can be a major problem, potentially harming your ear (and hearing).

An alternative to external speaker might be open-ear bone conduction headphones. These work by transmitting vibrations through your skull basically. Divers and military use them I believe.

Allows you to hear what's coming through the headphones AND hear all the ambient noises around you because your earways are clear.

Do any of you have experience using these for detecting? Seem perfect theoretically, and seems you can get a pair of Bluetooth ones for less than 100 bucks on Amazon.

1612729748_images_32.jpg

My Nokta/Makro detectors come with factory wireless headphones.... if I could find some of these that would pair up with the frequency of the detectors, I would certainly give them a try.
Apparently they are especially helpful if you have any sort of hearing loss or tinnitus. :Y:

I think for anyone that doesn't mind the ambient noise these would be good. Personally I prefer to reduce a lot of that ambient noise as much as possible so I don't think they'd suit me. I know others that are the same & use studio or noise cancelling headphones for that reason. Ambient noise can become a distraction in heavy leaf litter, windy conditions etc.
Might be worth a try for summer in still conditions or where it's reasonably clear underfoot.

Touch wood I've never suffered from any ear issues from using headphones or earbuds as yet.

Yeah that makes sense - I really don't like not being able to hear the ambient noise/things going on around me, kinda feels "unsafe"...

1612899493_20210210_061028.jpg

1612899759_20210210_061056.jpg

Old Garrett Bone Conducting Headphone Model No 16082, it was used diving with my old Garrett PI sea Hunter.
It sat under my wetsuit and placed on my collar bone; the quality of sound produced in ones middle ear was quite extraordinary.

My wife has some afterShokz and I tried them with the Equinox. They paired perfectly fine and the noise through them was actually quite good but they were not Low APTX so there was a really noticable lag. I assume they were really only built for listening to music.

If you could find some with very low latency they would be probably be great.

However, you then have to get some sort of a transmitter from the detector that will pair with the AfterShokz.

Big Johno - I stand corrected.

I went back to the aptx.com site and when you filter for headphones and low latency, they don't come up for some reason.

But, when you search Panasonic, View All Products - BANG, there they are :Y:

A few reviews of them don't look great - and seem like old tech https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP...sistant-Headphones/product-reviews/B00KWKKHDS

Looks like a newer version have been made but can't see that they are Low Latency - https://www.panasonic.com/middleeas...e/home-entertainment/headphones/rp-hgs10.html

Latest posts