Coffs Harbour NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm near Coffs harbour area,

What are you after, as in relics ? Coins?

Gold nuggets? Panning?

Goody :)

Hope this helps anyone around Coffs Harbour

Tallawudjab creek..

Glenreagh, orara river,

Bucca creek ,

Red white and blue creek they flow into Tsllawudjab creek..

Little Bobo river...

Dalmorton west of Coffs ..

Gulgong ,

Cudgegong river...

Google maps are the best way of working out access to the Creeks and rivers...

Goody

Hi Goody

Posted this in another topic

This from Minview
Coffs is the bigger red blob bottom right

1612311886_coffs.jpg

https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov.au/# ,mg0:y:100

goody2shoes said:
Hope this helps anyone around Coffs Harbour

Tallawudjab creek..

Glenreagh, orara river,

Bucca creek ,

Red white and blue creek they flow into Tsllawudjab creek..

Little Bobo river...

Dalmorton west of Coffs ..

Gulgong ,

Cudgegong river...

Google maps are the best way of working out access to the Creeks and rivers...

Goody

this is awesome! thank you! the laptop is getting a workout today, now to figure out where to plant myself tomorrow!

Woolgoolga, Coffs, Nana Glen and north of Woolgoolga has a Big History of Gold... Over 160 old mines in the area..

Virtually any creek west of Coffs has Gold... But lots of National Parks in the area so you really need to know where you are... There are still lots of places you still can't get into due to the Bushfires....

There is 2 very good books, Georges Gold mine 1 and Georges Gold mine 2... Well worth a read.... You can download them from Google...

There is also another book about the History of Woolgoolga, in that book, they mention of an old timer who went to his 'Bank' west of Woolgoolga (walking Distance of the town) every month to make a 'Withdrawal'... Gold was also found when they built the By-pass several years ago...

There is also not many records of early Gold finds in the area... Back in the days, The Mining Wardens Office burnt down and most of the early records were destroyed..

Some even say that the Coffs area produced more Gold than any other place in NSW... Football size Nuggets were found in the Bucca area.. Its all in the above books...

In the mid 90's, there was a Mining Co called Tarra City Mining, who claimed that they had found a whole mountain containing a Massive Gold Lode. Now a National Park.... But its very Deep and required the whole mountains removal.... The Greenies had a fit over that and forced the Mining company out and to withdraw their wild idea...

Search for the Member "Bluecurrant", and look at his finds from the Coffs area...

Lots of areas are in State Forests, So you will also need a Fossicking Permit....

LW...

Bloody Hard Yards though.
i was out that way Tall Timbers a few weeks ago.
The fires have knocked the scrub down some but the re-growth doesn`t take long to come back.
Now the Loggers have gone through there with their machines and have left clumps of bark over the surface.
Makes life very interesting in areas where there is not much room to swing a cat.
Going back there though and taking the pan for some gutter gully sample testing.
Waiting for another Big Flood in hope of some fresh wash. :Y:

Come on LW show us some nuggets you`ve been pinging.
Flowing like honey you said.lol.

Nope... :)

Most was won by a method that you are not allowed to use now... Look at Bluecurrant's posts and Read the Books I mentioned... ;)

Im more into the Fossicking side of things... Gems, Minerals and Crystals are my Fetish now...

LW...

I did see one little nugget on youtube apparently around that area.
i have heard rumors & verification from some old bloke near Nana Glenn but personally i have not detected or have seen any ``But``
Have heard of some blokes taking the day off of work to go specking in the rain also.
Would be nice to get some idea as to what size nuggets have been pinged out there as there is fine flake laying around.
Just for encouragement as so far All i get is rubbish and crap.
Colour is in the rivers that i know for fact.

Coffs area is not really for Detectors... Mostly Alluvial... But I have seen some nice Specimens with visible Gold that a modern detector would have found around some old hard rock mines...

A lot of the larger Nuggets were found by people Not Prospecting... Accidental Finds you could say...

LW...

Won`t stop me hunting there i think it will be just Time for the erosion to expose more nuggety colour.
Hopefully i`m right if it`s like Fishing the Bigger ones are amongst the little one`s.
Maybe Goldie Rocks or alike could come to our Party and shed some Geo Light on the subject.
I`m only guessing that The Orara Hills are only 3 Million years old in erosion . . ?

I remember Bluecurrant's using SDC 2300 and he found a nice nugget

But he use to do a lot of panning :goldpan:

Funny that ! i have rarely ever have found crap panning no fence wire or pull tabs or boot tacks.
Again i could never work out why Sofarla Hills had so much crap left in the ground there.
`i` would have bought home 2 kg of iron & alloy crap.
Unbelievable when SDC2300 users have flogged over that ground time & time again.
Just cannot work that out.

LoneWolf said:
Woolgoolga, Coffs, Nana Glen and north of Woolgoolga has a Big History of Gold... Over 160 old mines in the area..

Virtually any creek west of Coffs has Gold... But lots of National Parks in the area so you really need to know where you are... There are still lots of places you still can't get into due to the Bushfires....

There is 2 very good books, Georges Gold mine 1 and Georges Gold mine 2... Well worth a read.... You can download them from Google...

There is also another book about the History of Woolgoolga, in that book, they mention of an old timer who went to his 'Bank' west of Woolgoolga (walking Distance of the town) every month to make a 'Withdrawal'... Gold was also found when they built the By-pass several years ago...

There is also not many records of early Gold finds in the area... Back in the days, The Mining Wardens Office burnt down and most of the early records were destroyed..

Some even say that the Coffs area produced more Gold than any other place in NSW... Football size Nuggets were found in the Bucca area.. Its all in the above books...

In the mid 90's, there was a Mining Co called Tarra City Mining, who claimed that they had found a whole mountain containing a Massive Gold Lode. Now a National Park.... But its very Deep and required the whole mountains removal.... The Greenies had a fit over that and forced the Mining company out and to withdraw their wild idea...

Search for the Member "Bluecurrant", and look at his finds from the Coffs area...

Lots of areas are in State Forests, So you will also need a Fossicking Permit....

LW...

ive been given so much information today that i have been looking for for so long. thank you so much to you and the others in this thread who have helped me out! legends!

Latest posts