Coffs Harbour NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusKeene

Formerly (StinkyPete1977)
Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if anybody has done any exploring and test panning on Nana creek near Coffs Harbour, seems there was a lot of gold found there in the old days.

Hi AngusKeene , a mate of mine has done a bit of panning around Coffs , but dont know if Nana creek was 1 of them.Based on the info you have sourced, I would be going there to see if I was you , if its not too far. Cheers Paul

Hi I have not panned in Nana Creek but have along Tallawudjah, Littel Bobo, Bobo and Glenreagh creek and a lot of other in-between with very little luck that's not to say you won't find anything because that takes in a large area I am slowly going around all the gold mines in the area thats on high ground then panning in the creeks below, not much luck just a lot of walking. So best of luck

AngusKeene said:
Hi

Just wondering if anybody has done any exploring and test panning on Nana creek near Coffs Harbour, seems there was a lot of gold found there in the old days.

Yep, found gold, not a lot though. Majority of Matilda Hill mines were very much hard rock. Two batterys were operating at Nana Creek Village. You'll get gold downstream of the old vilalge, I think it is lost through the battery process as I haven't found any upstream. Have gotten colour from the Lady Matilda mine ( the one in the side of Battery Rd).

More gold to be had in other creeks in the area, not as easily accessible though!

Ben

Is there anybody that looks around this area. I live local and am looking for any pointers that will help in my noob status Turing into a beginner status. I am reading maps and listening to the elderly that have the full story on the land. My biggest problem is costs, but I am a great diy person so I have looked at ur diy projects on here and will b copy/ modifying them to suit my needs. Thanks for any more help and good times digging. :)

Gooday from taree... there are a few places up your way that are known to be gold bearing on creeks... I saw them on utube... We may cross paths in the future... :)

This gold is detected by me in the region known as the Orara Goldfields, Coffs Coast to you and me.

1374906547_img_20130725_194534_medium.jpg

1374906565_img_20130721_164413_medium.jpg

Many more people than you imagine are looking for gold here. Some are doing quite well for themselves. Don't believe anything you hear on youtube re locations :D

Sorry Wal, I meant in relation to Coffs gold - a few videos out there with misleading locations given.

Ben78 said:
Sorry Wal, I meant in relation to Coffs gold - a few videos out there with misleading locations given.

Thanks for those pics of lovely shiny stuff.
From what I have read your area has no or very little gold.
Obviously not true.

Good luck, hope you continue to add to your collection :)

Rod

No o0ne is really going to tell you where they are finding reasonable gold.

All you get are the old stories about where and what was found and most of these are exaggerated.

There was gold found in your area and near Coramba there are diggings that you can drive to easily

regards

Its pretty commonly known that the Clay Gully alluvials produce gold on a regular basis. One of those pieces above came from there. The colour in the pan came from a mine near coramba just digging the mullock up and processing it. Some places I keep secret and in fact only visit on solo missions. Others I am happy to share with folks that live here or actively work for gold here.

Thank u all 4 welcoming me, Ben that is some great gold u have there. Hopefully ill b able to do half as good as that :) ill do more reading than posting on here as I'm new and low on exp. I'm hoping as it warms up and I'm out there more often ill have something to helpful to contribute :)

Hey everyone, recently on a trip to New Zealand i finally purchased my first sluice setup! Hooray.I know there is some really awsome information on here but im having a bit of trouble finding out some things. I live in Coffs Harbour and want to go up to my parents place near Nana Glen / Coramba and work some dirt, i have read the regulations for fossicking in NSW and know the permits for State forests etc but some things i cant find. Might sound a bit stupid but here goes...

1. Is there any rules/regulations or permits for venturing to an old gold mine and working some dirt around there? Beacuse if they are privatly owned i would have to get permission etc. Am i aloud to just walk around there and start panning?

Which brings me to ask this

2. Ive done a fair amount of research and found alottttt of old gold mines around coffs harbour but no relative information, just a brief location on bonzle.com. So where can i gather information about some of these mines...i was thinking the library? Is there old records stored away anywhere? I know alot of information is with the old miners that have lived around coffs for years and years but its not that easy to get in contact with them..not too sure where to start?

I do have some topo maps for around here and a metallogenic map of dorrigo/coffs. I guess thats a start haha

Any info is welcome, thanks a bunch
Taz

Taz92 said:
1. Is there any rules/regulations or permits for venturing to an old gold mine and working some dirt around there? Beacuse if they are privatly owned i would have to get permission etc. Am i aloud to just walk around there and start panning?

Mines in state forest are free for all providing you have permission from the EL holder where one exists. (When I lived at Coffs I had permission from the EL holder)

Private Property, same rules except you need property holder AND EL holder permission.

Taz92 said:
2. Ive done a fair amount of research and found alottttt of old gold mines around coffs harbour but no relative information, just a brief location on bonzle.com. So where can i gather information about some of these mines...i was thinking the library? Is there old records stored away anywhere? I know alot of information is with the old miners that have lived around coffs for years and years but its not that easy to get in contact with them..not too sure where to start?

There is a book put out by the mines dept that had a lot of the detail you are after. Other details such as oz/t etc can be gotten from reading old newspapers on trove.nla.gov.au

Once you have 10 posts up send me a PM. I panned, explored and detected a lot behind Coffs. Did alright too - although others did/do better than I did.

Ben

Hey Ben78, thanks for the swift reply.

Sorry to be a noob but what does EL mean? Also i had a look on the map and some of the mines are not on state forests or national parks. Its just on parts of the map where the key doesnt indicate anything? Does that mean i can just cruise on in?

Thanks heaps

Latest posts