Metal detector find. What is it.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello there im new here and i figured since i did not know what it was i could ask went out detecting an old railway site today about 30 ks out of bendigo dug for about 10 minutes through very hard quartz about 3 to 4 inches down and found this have absolutely no clue what it is was hoping somone could help me out.
Cheers.

1611714206_screenshot_20210127-132256_gallery.jpg

Maybe it was some sort of joiner for test drilling in the old days. No idea really though.

Cheers mate yeah i thought somthing like that as it was right under where the train track would have been.

Jack 223 said:
Cheers mate yeah i thought somthing like that as it was right under where the train track would have been.

Mate, any time you want something ID'd, please make sure you include something else of known size in the pic with the mystery object. eg. a coin (which must be face up), a matchstick, your fingers, etc. This thingo you've found could be anywhere from 1/4" to 3" in diameter (or 5mm to 75mm, if you prefer metric.)

Perfect, thanks. :perfect: It's a lot bigger than I'd thought - I was imagining about the size of a bicycle valve cap!

From the green tarnishing, it appears to be brass. Perhaps a hose or pipe fitting of some sort?

Cheers mate yeah i thought it somthing like that was just abit suprised at the shape when we pulled it out but thats the fun of it i suppose.

It very well could be mate when we first pulled it up i thought it was definitely part of a pipe or somthing but then i look at the shape and got abit confused. but i remembered where we were detecting on an old railway site they had brought in a lot of dirt that im assuming was from a mine as it was full of quartz and iron definitely interesting though.

In The first pic It looks a bit squashed
So assuming the hole in the centre is square and if it goes all the way through (cant see that from pics)
I think its the middle of a door lock

Hey Jack, if that little thingamajig has got you so obviously excited, then keep on going mate..... theres plenty of better, more interesting stuff waiting for ya buddy..... good luck and happy hunting :Y:

Haha definitely mate i have found some really good stuff over the last few weeks old buttons and bullets but this just interested me as i had no clue what it was.
Cheers

Yeah, definitely a crimp or swage of some type, would originally have been a square hole which has turned into a diamond shape after crimping.

Hi all, the below is the size of a cigarette butt and I have no clue what it is. I detected it in the surf at Denhams Beach on NSW:
1625126906_20210701_115742.jpg

1625127385_20210701_115729.jpg

Sandta said:
In The first pic It looks a bit squashed
So assuming the hole in the centre is square and if it goes all the way through (cant see that from pics)
I think its the middle of a door lock

Sandta, gets my vote, a part of the old type door lock (squashed)
Jacks image appears to have a cam for key to activate locking mechanism?

1625129121_door_lock.jpg

Latest posts