Go straw - saved my life today!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came across this thread. Glad you are ok Dave. Would have been quite worrying. Good that you were carrying the straw alright.

I could have drank unfiltered water, but probably would have got sick later.
Anyway, it stays in my detector pack at all times now, with lighter, head torch, leather mans, pocket knife, fire lighter and Vaseline soaked cotton wool. Very small survival kit, just in case.

Nightjar said:
PeterInSa said:
Re (Mirror. (Like to keep my hair tidy. playful ) You never know who you may meet out there.)

Yes the wife carries one to attract search Planes if she gets lost.

Yes, do believe that is the "real" reason a mirror is in our safety pack. ?

Wasn't sure nightjar i have to admit you always look quite dapper any photo's youv'e posted :playful:
Lucky you even survived by the sounds of it anyway Davnt being ex army and NT local i don't think most if not any of us stood a chance. The unlucky but very real joys of hunting.

Did an experiment moons ago.
Dug a bucket size hole and placed some plastic over it poking the center in the middle down to a tip & a bowl under neath.
It did not take that long for the condensation to arrive certainly enough for a cup of water.
A thought to for gritty water is to sieve it through a charcoal strainer as it would certainly remove a lot of solids if not finer impurities.

Nightjar said:
If it can maybe save your life it's worth carrying.
Like many others no doubt we have various safety/survival gear in our back packs/pockets etc.
Haven't checked since last prospect trip nearly two years ago, from memory these have been carried for years and fortunately haven't had to go into survival mode.
Apart from the Garmin GPS/Radio in separate belt pouch the following is in a small bum bag always carried.

Flint striker.
Box of waterproof matches.
Magnifying glass.
Snake bandage.
Dunny paper.
Compass.
Swiss Army Knife.
Mirror. (Like to keep my hair tidy. :playful: ) You never know who you may meet out there.

Maybe a few more, but the "straw" will definitely be included in 2021.

Note to self

If Covid gets worse Nightjar has dunny role in survival kit :D

SBS Movie on tonight @ 8.30 about a blokes attempt to be self sufficient alone and isolated in W.A.
Called The Beach.
I`m there.

Bush said:
Did an experiment moons ago.
Dug a bucket size hole and placed some plastic over it poking the center in the middle down to a tip & a bowl under neath.
It did not take that long for the condensation to arrive certainly enough for a cup of water.
A thought to for gritty water is to sieve it through a charcoal strainer as it would certainly remove a lot of solids if not finer impurities.

Add some leaves to the hole beneath the plastic to increase evaporative yield.

Thanks, Davent, very helpful.

I have and carry in different packs the Sawyer filter products.
The advantage of those is that they can filter thousands of litres of water but the downsides are that they don't filter most chemicals, pesticides, viruses, heavy metals, and the like, as they do not have the charcoal filter, only the hollow membrane. The Sawyer S3 does have the capability using a special bottle with proprietary foam in it but is a larger unit and like carbon-based filters, it has a reduced throughput capacity.

So I have ordered a couple of Go Straws, for use at the occasional very bad or unknown water sources, just to be safe.

Rob P.

Bush said:
SBS Movie on tonight @ 8.30 about a blokes attempt to be self sufficient alone and isolated in W.A.
Called The Beach.
I`m there.
Ive seen the whole series, its bloody good. He is a director, but obviously spent some time in the bush, its a good show.

Yeh !
What i mean`t about carbon filter was using some out of a camp fire if need be ; also if stomach poisoning from one form or another i`d swallow some to absorb the the toxin.
They use it on dogs even with tick poisoning but dogs naturally eat grass when their not well but i would just smoke it. :)

Agree with Davent re Humidity, I had to do a 3 hour route march in Malaysia (really bloody humid) full pack and rifle. We carried 2 x 1 pint water bottles and told to drink them over 20 minutes. Then stop only long enough to fill them at a truck carrying water for us, then off again for another 20 minutes.

So we drank at least 18 pints around 8 litres. Clothing could not have got wetter standing under a shower, which adds to the weight. From memory, I think I drank about 4 more pints in the period after the march before I had enough fluids to "water a tree".

I also carry a straw, you never know.... :)

PS I will add we also took salt tabs.

Bugga !
Fell off the perch watching The Beach Show not surprising though it was a long hot one here yesterday and an early start as always & forgot to take my cell salts.
He had some cooking utensils i noticed that.
There was a movie `i` heard about called Man Alone but i never could locate where to see it.
One i did like was ``Hell in the Pacific``with Lee Marvin. It had some great survival techniques.
There was one particular scene that absolutely cracked me up & a bit peed off one bloke was. {) lol.
Anyhow have a Great Day Fellas it`s gunna be another stinker here today keep ya fluids up. :Y:

davent said:
Bush said:
Called The Beach.
I`m there.
Ive seen the whole series, its bloody good. He is a director, but obviously spent some time in the bush, its a good show.

The guy is Warwick Thornton, a brilliant cinematographer and director. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861610/ It's a beautiful story of him coming to terms and dealing with his personal 'Black Dog', being separated from his roots and dealing with the stresses of the Film industry.

Dihusky said:
davent said:
Bush said:
Called The Beach.
I`m there.

The guy is Warwick Thornton, a brilliant cinematographer and director. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861610/ It's a beautiful story of him coming to terms and dealing with his personal 'Black Dog', being separated from his roots and dealing with the stresses of the Film industry.

Hes talented at bloody everything! One of those blokes,can cook to!

Latest posts