Go straw - saved my life today!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Go and buy one, it saved my life today! Literally! I will expand later. $34 at Mitchells .

1611383446_4b809348-d324-4522-a55a-40fdd991e912.jpg

You need bout 6 lt here a day here in the wet, I got lost in a swamp. Had. To walk about 2 km accross a flood plane to make back to the hwy. ranging from shin deep to thigh deep, with grass although it. Hardest walk I done since army days. 33 deg and 96% humidity. I had 3 lt to start with, but didnt account for a flood plain walk with 2 very dodgy creek crossings. It took 4 hours to walk 2 km. I ran out of watt afte about 2 hours, and drank swamp water and creek water with the go straw. It literally saved me.
Plus I had a small umbrella in my pack, so when I laid down in 3 inches of water to rest, I shaded myself with it, and filled an empty bottle with flood plain water and drank it with the go straw.my GPS is playing up, and I need a new one. Monday!
I was exhausted every 50m or so. Im cramping up now. Bye, Ive carried that go straw for about 2 years in my fishing backpack and never needed it till today.

Unless you have walked accross a flood plain the wet season you have no hope of understanding how difficult and arduous it is. Btw, I can still jog 5km in around 27-30 minutes.

Its light takes up no room and screws onto any coke type bottle or water bottle. I still use army canteens, 1 standard one and one double size one. Also carry 1 woolies bottled water, but you can use it like a straw without a bottle. Ill never leave home without it ever again.

Problem up here is that when its hot and humid, sweat doesnt cool you down like its supposed to.youre just hot and wet. Until you stop sweating. Because it is not cooling you down, your body produces more of it, which leads to rapid dehydration, really rapid. If I didnt have the go straw I would have had no option but to drink unfiltered water, which would have been ok until a few hours later.

davent said:
Problem up here is that when its hot and humid, sweat doesnt cool you down like its supposed to.youre just hot and wet. Until you stop sweating. Because it is not cooling you down, your body produces more of it, which leads to rapid dehydration, really rapid. If I didnt have the go straw I would have had no option but to drink unfiltered water, which would have been ok until a few hours later.
Yes, I carry one

Hi,

Appreciate this thread. Here is some google data on the job it can do and not do.

Can I use my Life Straw to drink my own urine? ... LifeStraw should remove cells and germs. But urine is removing some/many undesirable chemicals/compounds from your blood stream for a reason, and LifeStraw cannot remove most of those ions. If you must have the water to survive, go for it and good luck.

While the LifeStraw filters down to 0.2 microns, removing virtually all bacteria and protozoa, it should be noted that it will not filter out heavy metals, and will not desalinate water. It doesn't filter out viruses either, although water-borne viruses are rare.

LifeStraw now removes a minimum of 99.999% of waterborne protozoan parasites including Giardia and Cryptosporidium. The original LifeStraw does not filter viruses, chemicals, salt water, and heavy metals.

The LifeStraw Activated Carbon and Ion Exchange filter lasts approximately 150 litres.

Gday Davent you just gave me memories of bowhunting pigs on flood plains in the NT I know what you mean about dodgy creek crossings easy spot for the big lizzards to be unseen or any movement in grass or weeds theres nothing like sinking to your knees in mud every step glad you made it out its not a nice feeling being lost even worse at nite all the best cheers Muk.

stevewilko said:
Hi,

Appreciate this thread. Here is some google data on the job it can do and not do.

Can I use my Life Straw to drink my own urine? ... LifeStraw should remove cells and germs. But urine is removing some/many undesirable chemicals/compounds from your blood stream for a reason, and LifeStraw cannot remove most of those ions. If you must have the water to survive, go for it and good luck.

While the LifeStraw filters down to 0.2 microns, removing virtually all bacteria and protozoa, it should be noted that it will not filter out heavy metals, and will not desalinate water. It doesn't filter out viruses either, although water-borne viruses are rare.

LifeStraw now removes a minimum of 99.999% of waterborne protozoan parasites including Giardia and Cryptosporidium. The original LifeStraw does not filter viruses, chemicals, salt water, and heavy metals.

The LifeStraw Activated Carbon and Ion Exchange filter lasts approximately 150 litres.

Gday Steve, I have a lifestaw as well, although in yesterdays misadventure, I used a go straw, similar product, but it will filter out chemicals, heavy metals and some viruses, how ever, it wont filter as much water over time as a life straw.

https://huntshop.com.au/product/fresh-water-go-straw/

If it can maybe save your life it's worth carrying.
Like many others no doubt we have various safety/survival gear in our back packs/pockets etc.
Haven't checked since last prospect trip nearly two years ago, from memory these have been carried for years and fortunately haven't had to go into survival mode.
Apart from the Garmin GPS/Radio in separate belt pouch the following is in a small bum bag always carried.

Flint striker.
Box of waterproof matches.
Magnifying glass.
Snake bandage.
Dunny paper.
Compass.
Swiss Army Knife.
Mirror. (Like to keep my hair tidy. :playful: ) You never know who you may meet out there.

Maybe a few more, but the "straw" will definitely be included in 2021.

Re (Mirror. (Like to keep my hair tidy. playful ) You never know who you may meet out there.)

Yes the wife carries one to attract search Planes if she gets lost.

Nightjar said:
PeterInSa said:
Re (Mirror. (Like to keep my hair tidy. playful ) You never know who you may meet out there.)

Yes the wife carries one to attract search Planes if she gets lost.

Yes, do believe that is the "real" reason a mirror is in our safety pack. ?

A magnifier glass would have many applications as pre mentioned you never know and may need to cauteriz a wound.
9 volt battery and scrubber wool for fires at night. :fire: :)