How Many Detectors And Why? Confess!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderEmployedGeo

Gold Gold Gold
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how many metal detectors you gold prospectors own. Given that the more crazy/gold-fevered you are, the more you are likely to own, I am still interested in your whys and wherefores
also, I have not found any gold with my Nox 600 and am eying a gold monster already...

Im more of a relic/coin shooting "treasure hunter" that likes prospecting for gold if I have an opportunity.

1. Garrett Sovereign GT - first detector i learn on for coin and treasure and relic hunting. Still take it out every so often
2. CTX 3030 x 2 - go-to machine for beach use and shallow water detecting
3. Equinox 800 x 2 - is much lighter than the CTX and use for park and beach detecting , shallow water (all rounder)
4. Excalibur II - for detecting below 3 meters (deep water)
5. GPX 5000 - is my dedicated gold prospecting machine - once you learn this detector , i don't think you can go wrong with it. (Gold)
6. Extera 705 - dont know why I got his one (?)
7. Garrett A2B groundhog gold detector for the pool room :Y:

probably should sell a couple but am a hoarder.

UnderEmployedGeo said:
I'm curious as to how many metal detectors you gold prospectors own. Given that the more crazy/gold-fevered you are, the more you are likely to own,

Not always so UEG. I own one detector and one detector only (GPX 5000), and a couple of big MOFO coils. I'm looking for big deep stuff and nothing else. With what little detecting time I get, digging holes for crumbs is time wasted for me. I long for the day of reliable discrimination that not only ignores junk, but also anything under an ounce. Anyway, my wife would leave me if I named a sub-grammer after her. :lol:

We have 3 detectors UEG, listed in order of purchase:

1) Minelab GP3500

2) Minelab GM1000

3) Minelab GPX5000 (only just added to the stable).

The wife uses the Gold Monster as after watching me use the 3500 she was bitten by the bug. Going to give all 3 a comparison run when staying up in the GT in mid Feb for a week.

Our current detectors are SDC-2300 & GPZ-7000 enough for two swingers. (To date still getting the hang of these two, last trip was in May 2019, (knee replacement & Covid slowed us down) we brought home about 150 bits/54grams.) ***Thanks go out to Dave & Veronica Dench, if not for them I think the GPZ would be memorabilia hanging in a mulga tree in the WA goldfields. ***

Previously owned all sold;
Garrett Deepseeker (found first ever gold)
Garret Groundhog
Whites - vSat (vacuum cleaner)
SD - 2000
SD - 2100 (one of the most worthy detectors ever owned)
GP - 3500 (only lasted a couple of trips)
GP - 4000
GPX - 4500 (came in as my favourite, just ahead of the SD - 2100)

Have another Garret Deepseeker & a Coiltek coil hanging on my memorabilia fence now all covered with a Jasmine creeper.

Bought a cheap detector off fleabay 5 years back , great for the park or beach ..paid for its self in the first few months.
Then bought a GPX 4500 about 3 years ago , found a 5gm nugget first day out and it has found enough since then to keep us both keen..
The digger has probably found more using it than I have, so now she is saving to buy a detector for her self :Y:

Re (The digger has probably found more using it than I have, so now she is saving to buy a detector for her self

Good move, in WA, the Digger with a detector could well find patches for you to share.

Currently the one which is a new version model SDC2300 i brought it brand spanking new around June last year 2020. Ive only used it 2 or 3 times when i was allowed to detect before the vics second covid wave lockdown.

But in 2008 or 2009 i brought a second hand (hardly used at the time) a 2008 made model GPX4500.

I sold it was part of the trade in for the new SDC 2300.

With the GPX4500 i used a s tack of coils on it i even got confused on which one to use too had a heap of coils namely minelab coiltek and nuggetfinder coils all different sizes too.

To me the best coil when i had the gpx4500 was the 8 or 11 inch minelab coil and the 12 inch round nugget finder evo coil.

Im happy now ive got the SDC 2300 so much easy to use and its far less setting orientated too and quite capable gold finding machine too.

Plus less coils to buy too.

Ill have my SDC2300 for a few years yet probably a good 3-4 years out of it at least.

In 2021 ill love to use it heaps too.

All of my business has been with the folk at Coiltek in Maryborough.

missus loves me 2x grondhogs ,2500 gti,1500gti garret, 3030 minelab,2300,7000, have had 2200 when they first come out and 5000gpx, coin machines are for coins , gold machines r for gold, but i love the challenge to master them,and to see what they can realy do yes im addicted

Ya poor thing now i understand your thread it always start somewhere :lol: :lol: :lol: and doesn't get any better 8.(

Gem in I said:
Ya poor thing now i understand your thread it always start somewhere :lol: :lol: :lol: and doesn't get any better 8.(

Maybe if I just get a a gold monster I'll be satisfied, then if that's works, an sdc, of course if things are going well, maybe an GPX or gpz... But noooo, just stick to what I have....

Latest posts