X Coils for GPX/QED/GPZ detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araratgold

Rick
Reaction score
Gidday All,

Managed to get two hours in today before rain chased me home with the 17 inch Russian X coil.

Blew me away just how good this coil is ! I purposely picked a small area of State forest that I have flogged for the last 10 years, with all 3 different GPX detectors, with coils from 11-25 inches, the SDC, and even a QED. This spot has yielded many ounces of gold to me from 0.05g up to 33g. I had declared it " dead ", as my last 10 or so efforts with the standard GPZ14 and GPZ19 have yielded nothing more.

2 hours in today, nearly back to the car, and I get an obvious signal. This was slightly downhill from a small patch of small reef gold, in an area that I have literally smashed.
Coil was about 2 inches above the ground because of sticks and clumpy grass. Removed said obstacles and signal firmer. 4 inches in and I am in nice gravel, target now screaming, out pops what turns out to be buck shot. Bugger, but this is from a spot that I have NEVER managed to get a target in ! :eek:

Moved about 10m along and same thing, another obvious target, once again coil 2 inches over the ground. Dug in and same again, 4 inches down in nice gravel, target screaming louder than the buckshot, out pops what turns out to be an 0.65 gram bit of reef gold ! I'll be buggered, I thought ! :D

Rain then chased me home.

Coil was very sensitive, being able to pick up my 0.11g test piece at 2 inches. I tried knocking the coil against a tree a few times and no bump sensitivity. 17 round weighs the same as the GPZ14. All in all, a fantastic coil. Don't know what the Russians have done differently, but Minelab need to have a good hard look ! :Y:

Further testing to come when our sh*tty weather finally breaks.

Cheers, Rick

1559020052_x_coil_first_gold_resize.jpg

Jaros said:
Thanks for the review. I'm sure it will help many of us looking for an alternative. :D
What brand-Detech?

No, not Detech, they are made in Bulgaria. These are made in Russia and are simply called X Coils.

Cheers, Rick

Reg Wilson said:
Well done with the Rusky coil Rick. Seems like they are the real deal. Have you sold the 'dog', or are you keeping it for sentimental reasons?

Gidday Reg, thanks, yes have sold the GPZ19. No point in keeping it, as it appears these new coils are better than the Minelab offering. And besides, as I have told you and Dougs crew before, I have NO brand loyalty, but will use whatever is currently the best available for gold prospecting.

Next Russian off the rank will be a 22x21 for those deeper areas.

Cheers, Rick

Gidday Reg, thanks, yes have sold the GPZ19. No point in keeping it, as it appears these new coils are better than the Minelab offering. And besides, as I have told you and Dougs crew before, I have NO brand loyalty, but will use whatever is currently the best available for gold prospecting.

Next Russian off the rank will be a 22x21 for those deeper areas.

Cheers, Rick

Way to go Rick. I had considered going for a Z before finally settling on a GPX 5000 last year. It wasn't just about price for me, but as a newbie I still wasn't sure about exactly which size coil/s I would end up swinging, and the GPZ seemed rather limited on coil options. When I read that Minelab had inserted a chip to prevent aftermarket coils from being used, but at the same time didn't offer any of their own options, it just seemed to me that it was a rather cynical attempt at making big bucks and snuffing out the after market coil opposition at the same time. I think it's great that someone is bringing out other size options that work, and sad that Minelab with all of it's technical expertise, facilities, and financial backing, couldn't come up with something for the people who supported them.

Thumbs up to the ruskies :Y:

i guess the price is ok for the performance but compared to standadrd coils is a bit i=on the high side. what is your opinion on the price/performance equation Rick and Goldwright?

Eski said:
i guess the price is ok for the performance but compared to standadrd coils is a bit i=on the high side. what is your opinion on the price/performance equation Rick and Goldwright?

From what I've seen so far in 2 short hours, this coil is an absolute winner, and will find me many ounces of the good stuff, so cost doesn't worry me. :Y:

What I am really happy about is the extra ground coverage with no extra weight, and the fact that it can still get a 0.11 gram test crumb at a couple of inches !

Tomorrow in between showers I am going to hit another old small patch in State forest where I found an ounce a couple of years ago. I have not been able to get another signal there in the last few efforts, even with the GPZ19, so if this new coil can get a signal there I will be rapt, because it WILL be gold ! :D

I particularly like the skid plate setup on it, reminds me of the 11 inch Commander. No dirt can get in, as it's sealed with coil tape. :Y:

Cheers, Rick

Eski said:

I am never swayed by price if its gold detector related. Got the 15 and it proved it self in the first few days and a smaller coil is going to get me more gold as smaller gold is bread and butter gold dont get me wrong love bigger chuncks but there are only a few on every patch but lots of little pieces and that is where these x coils kick arse as they seem to be more sensitive kinda like the Evo and Elite do compared to Minelab Commander coils on the GPX's to give you a bit of an idea. I am really looking forward to trying the 12 out at the end of next week.

G'day Rick. I'm interested in the 21"x 22" coil. Do you know what it will cost, and, how much it weighs? wiley.

wiley coyote said:
G'day Rick. I'm interested in the 21"x 22" coil. Do you know what it will cost, and, how much it weighs? wiley.

Not sure yet mate although I do know that it will cost more than $1500, Dave seems to think around $1800.

Weight wise, I think they are getting it close to the standard GPZ14, as it is open spoke design, although still to be confirmed.

Cheers, Rick

Araratgold said:
Not sure yet mate although I do know that it will cost more than $1500, Dave seems to think around $1800.

Weight wise, I think they are getting it close to the standard GPZ14, as it is open spoke design, although still to be confirmed.

Cheers, Rick

Hi Rick, am playing with a 22 coil as we speak. It is heavier than the GPZ14 but is a Spiral wound coil. Major issue is with Touch and Rub sensitivity in areas with lots of twiggy sticks so makes General/Difficult a problem unless the ground is bare. Saturation is also pretty bad as well, and as is to be expected so is Salt signal.

JP

Latest posts