Old pushing areas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justoverthehill

Wandering around looking at rocks
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Hope you all had a great Christmas and new years!

So I'm doing some research for a few areas I want to search this season and I found some old pushing's in geoview. Had to zoom right in to see them but I could make out the rectangle shapes so it had me thinking would you only push and detect if you had found substantial nuggets in that area? or would they be pushing the area for drywashing? I would think dragging a bobcat or loader out to scrape wouldn't be cheap either.

justoverthehill said:
Hi everyone

Hope you all had a great Christmas and new years!

So I'm doing some research for a few areas I want to search this season and I found some old pushing's in geoview. Had to zoom right in to see them but I could make out the rectangle shapes so it had me thinking would you only push and detect if you had found substantial nuggets in that area? or would they be pushing the area for drywashing? I would think dragging a bobcat or loader out to scrape wouldn't be cheap either.
It depends really....some of our scrape and detecting with the loader has been in areas where a lot of gold has been found...turns out though that that doesnt mean there is any more gold :(!!
Old pushed areas are a good sign though generally.
As Goldi says though, they may well look like scraped/pushed areas on sat view, but when on teh ground, they turn out to be old gravel pits.

goldierocks said:
"Pushings???" Scrapes? Often with old gravels it is for roads. eg Dollys Creek

Yes, Longbush is another one. Between the entrance at the Wimmera Hwy and Nuller's old claim before the Granitic Dyke. Gravel taken for roads at different times over the years.

grubstake said:
From his prior postings, I think it's likely that the OP justoverthehill lives in WA, in which case all of the replies concerning Victorian gravel stripping are unfortunately not relevant to his query.
I had not noticed it a lot different in WA, but location would be more diagnostic there (it is a much bigger place and noone goes huge distances just for road gravel).

Pushing/scraping to prepare the ground for detecting has been a thing since the very early days of detecting for gold in WA, when a length of old railway line dragged behind a Landcruiser was a favoured 'quick and dirty' method on the flats. Some of those 'rectangle shapes' visible on aerial photos could be as much as 50 years old!

Thanks everyone

Yep I'm in WA

The spot looks quite old but as you said I wont really know what it is unless I can actually walk it. Ill see if I can get a screen shot and post it up for you guys to check out.

1610631485_pushing_1.jpg

1610631504_pushing_2.jpg

1610631519_pushing_3.jpg

Here are some screen shots. There in a area where there are active gold mines close by and with the 3rd pic it could be a gravel spot for the road when it was being built as it does look newer. The first 2 pictures are about 500m away from a main road.

I would also look at Tenegraph and see if there was an old lease over the areas. That may give a clue also as to if they were pushed. If its an old PL or SPL, it may be a pushed area.

Latest posts