buying a 2nd hand gpz 7000 on gumtree

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been wanting for some time to buy a GPZ but the outlay of over 10k was out of reach So looked @ Gumtree for a pre-loved one. The Chinese are offering clones @ bargain prices. Ali express has banned these shady sellers but they can be found on Alibaba 500$ USD buy 2 get 2 free.

So buying on Gumtree is basically Caveat Emptor. So my experience in dealing with sellers has been very educational. There are a few genuine units up for sale but to identify them requires a little investigation avoid an expensive mistake. Aliexpress and Ebay offer some buyer protection but Gumtree and Alibaba are in the buyer beware category. Unfortunately many sellers are not next door to do a face to face purchase is a must.
So here is my procedure to ensure to achieve a good successful purchase.
.1 look for sellers with legit purchase receipts from a Minelab dealer check the serial numbers match
2 avoid poorly imaged receipt and the purchaser name being blanked out and the invoice number obscured
3 check with the dealer if the invoice and purchasers details are genuine
4 get hold of the secret code and do a Minelab Authenticity check on both the master and stem serial Numbers
5 the price will depend on on how long is the unexpired warranty is The replacement cost of the internal boards can be 3k$ each
6 Try to use a bank cheque for payment....paper trail
7 Ask to see drivers license name is the same as on the purchase docs
8 Check the photo to verify the it is the true owner / seller
9 do a visual check on the serial numbers are the same again
10 using the viewer check the hidden serial code and the back ground is in full colour with an example of coloured ballons
11 lastly get a receipt with the record of all the serial numbers date purchase and request the invoice too to do do a warranty transfer

Once you buy one out of warranty 7 & 11 are obsolete :eek:

Keep it simple and check the serial numbers with Minelab and the details of the original purchaser on the receipt :Y: if your 2nd 3rd 4th owner register yourself as the new owner with Minelab :Y: by registering with Minelab as the owner when it comes to moving it on anyone checking with Minelab will be advised as you being the owner :beer:

That's what I did :D checked the original paperwork with ML and the seller who wasn't the original purchaser had registered which confirmed the sale as legitimate :beer:

I had a very good experience buying a GPX 5000 on Gumtree sent by mail to me from WA, and a GPZ on Gumtree from Geelong. All were in excellent condition with original paperwork "that checked out" as well as serial numbers.

I would NEVER buy one new online, doesn't make sense? My advice is as others have said, check out the paperwork and serial numbers first. If it sounds to good to be true.....?? That being said, a little bargaining and I managed a good 5 year old 7000 for $7.5 on Gumtree.

G'day

When buying new or second hand detectors on either Gumtree or Ebay you have to follow the same rules, the usual warning signs are it being sold too cheaply or the seller being vague or getting agitated if you ask too many questions, many of these things are high value items so it will pay you to take your time with the purchase and verify its being a genuine article and also that it is not stolen.

Many later model detectors and high priced items are being cloned so the only means you have to protect yourself from being ripped off is firstly only buy it if you are very sure by getting as much information as you can and don't rush into it, or the safest method is to buy from a registered dealer or face to face with the seller this is more important with the later model machines as all models have been cloned, early model machines are relatively safe in that respect.

What I have found though which is also a bit disturbing is that on some sites when you see an item that you believe is dodgy like a very obviously chinese fake minelab its now impossible to report it to the site managers as they have changed the reporting system with its drop down menu choices so that there is no corresponding choice to report it as a fake item to them, they know very well that this sort of crap is sold on their site but they have no issue with it as they are still making their money and unfortunately people are being burnt in the process.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
G'day

When buying new or second hand detectors on either Gumtree or Ebay you have to follow the same rules, the usual warning signs are it being sold the seller being vague or getting agitated if you ask too many questions, many of these things are high value items so it will pay you to take your time with the purchase and verify its being a genuine article and also that it is not stolen.

stayyerAU
yes do agree my experience has been asking for the serial number to authenticate the item and proof of purchase Questionable sellers quickly withdraw the item from sale.
The cops do troll Gumtree & Ebay for stolen property so serial numbers are not displayed in the ad. A good idea is stay clear of them . However couldn't find a registry of stolen gpz on the net

BTW Chinese Clones of the GPZ are sold from 300- 600$ US + shipping buy 2 get one free
For a big purchase always a face to face transaction @ a lower price items where the loss is small a remote purchase can be away to go.

Latest posts