Gem gurus

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Visiting my dad, found a storage box with many old coins from his Scottish homeland, some great Aussie $200 gold coins and these two gems. Dads memory not very clear these days and he cant remember where he bought these or how much for! I know very little about gems.
Question - do these valuations seam legitimate and since 1980 has their value or value of gems in general increased. No plans to sell, it has piqued dads interest again though!
Tks all
Stru

1610426750_81cef3c3-e937-423b-a3b6-8290634a59eb.jpg

1610426750_330adb6d-6a7a-47b9-8540-7510d5db056f.jpg

1610426750_67810dcb-96d3-4c56-862a-ae7e6d642fa8.jpg

1610426750_78286f66-61fc-4fb9-a938-7423e068bc47.jpg

They look like nice stones Stu, possibly both American in origin, observation on inclusions are encouraging and May indicate that they are authentic.

Sorry to say their valuations are probably more than double, even in todays terms.

Only way to tell real value is to ask a manufacturing jeweller what price range they would be prepared to pay for similar stones, a retail replacement value would be at least double that.

Well it is very interesting that the gemstone valuer names the stones as Aquamarine, Topaz and I am assuming the yellow/orange is sapphire and the total price of the valued stones in 1980 was $4012.50. Very handy money seeing as today's valuation is going to be much higher than 1980's valuation.

Thanks guys. Pat, the pic shows two stones with the two separate paperworks they came with. Valued at over 4K each. As wally says a bit rich Id say. I dont come across many manufacturing jewellers in my travels but seems a shame not to have them set into a jewellery piece seeings Dad has held them for over 40years now!!!

Yep, I see that the valuation is for two stones, one an aqua and the other a topaz. A 9ct Aqua is going to be interesting, but the Topaz does not command such a high price even for a 6.5 ct gold-yellow. Saying that the Topaz is valued at $625ct USD is a bit too far for Australian buyers but the Aqua is right up there at $425 ct in AUD Good score for your father though.

I am anchoring myself with imperial topaz as well, American in origin...... both purely speculative statements

I would get them set as well Stu, they should be family heirlooms that come out to play in the sunlight.

It is definitely Imperial Topaz but the price is way too high for Australian buyers and the Imperial Topaz has attracted some negative feedback by the inference of some of it being heated, synthetic or otherwise. Dicey, that is all I am saying and yes, have it set to improve sale-ability.
Am very keen on the Beryl though.

Latest posts