You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Dewalt
11 January 2021 03:24 pm

Hi All,

I dont normally post but have been doing some reading on coils and have read on a few sites that coils over 18" in diameter are actually reaching a point that they do not give a positive return. That is on a GPX, some of the earlier models like the SD seem to benifet from larger coils from what people that have used them say.

I have no electronics background or a wealth of knowledge on this subject, its just an inquiry to see what people with more knowledge and first hand experience think on the subject.

I have recently bought a 20" mono and will be heading over to WA once it turns up, so will be interesting to put it up against my 14" on targets to see if it makes a difference. It will take time to change between the two but im hoping to be over there for six months plus so time is not a issue.

Do people think the reason that two of the major manufactures only have 18" coils at the moment is because of this, once again only a question to see what people with more knowledge than me think.

Regards,
Maurice.

Last edited by Dewalt (11 January 2021 03:25 pm)

The detecting is not over till the batteries are flat smile

1 user likes this post: Jaros

mbasko
11 January 2021 05:21 pm

Coiltek still have 22" Goldstalker DD & Mono coils
Nugget Finder have a 25" DD coil
IMO big coils in the right area still have their place

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

Dewalt
11 January 2021 05:40 pm

mbasko wrote:

Coiltek still have 22" Goldstalker DD & Mono coils
Nugget Finder have a 25" DD coil
IMO big coils in the right area still have their place

I certainly hope so, cant wait to try out the 20" in WA.

Pfft just cant wait to get out of Adelaide and detect full stop smile

The detecting is not over till the batteries are flat smile

nuggetino
12 January 2021 09:28 pm

I still have a round 24" DD coil somewhere in my collection. It certainly punches deeper than an 18" coil and on a test pit in highly mineralized ground will easily outdo a 20" Mono. I think the mono could do just as well or better in more benign soils mind you. Oh and aside from a few exhaustive meter+ holes recovering horse shoes and other lovely fuggets I never managed to find any gold with it. The fact I found some of these fuggets in flogged ground does lead me to believe it offers an edge on larger targets at depth over the common configurations.

A-team
13 January 2021 12:32 pm

My NF 18 inch Advantage was one of my favorite coils for general use, aside from getting hung up on sticks and leaves of course. It found everything from 22 slugs in the first inch of soil to a brass boot tack at around 20 inches deep in clay (Heathcote) that was thoroughly thrashed. In saying that, it didn't find me gold - yet? This was on a Woody (Detector Mods) modified GPX 5000. I now use the Zed pretty much all the time... and take the 600 out for a spin too, its fun, light, and cleans up trash real quick!

"Gold is learning how to hide better"
Equinox 600 - 2 x GPZ 7000s Nothing else needed...

Chewy
13 January 2021 10:56 pm

I've just bought the nf 25" dd. It's a monster. I need to get some more experience with it though.

Here gold gold gold gold.

1 user likes this post: mbasko

mbasko
13 January 2021 11:07 pm

Chewy wrote:

I've just bought the nf 25" dd. It's a monster. I need to get some more experience with it though.

Hope you get a biggun' with it Chewy.
They're a monster alright. I had a look at one & started sweating. Left it in the shop lol

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

1 user likes this post: Chewy

Chewy
14 January 2021 12:29 am

mbasko wrote:
Chewy wrote:

Hope you get a biggun' with it Chewy.
They're a monster alright. I had a look at one & started sweating. Left it in the shop lol

Thanks mbasko, they do seem to be lighter than you would expect though I must admit. I think I need to use the harness and bungee, and invest in a swing handle to make it easier to swing for longer. Also the gold I had in my left pocket was making it a bit noisy. Lol

Here gold gold gold gold.

condor22
14 January 2021 01:13 am

I'm looking forward to using my 18" Detech concentric on my next trip. smile

1 user likes this post: Deepseeker

Deepseeker
14 January 2021 06:29 am

condor22 wrote:

I am tempted to buy that biggest concentric mother that they make. Trouble is, it's hard enough getting the 5000 into the car with the NF 25" on it. I may have to start taking the trailer with me if I bought the 32" concentric lol

Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended.

A-team
14 January 2021 12:48 pm

Deepseeker wrote:
condor22 wrote:

I am tempted to buy that biggest concentric mother that they make. Trouble is, it's hard enough getting the 5000 into the car with the NF 25" on it. I may have to start taking the trailer with me if I bought the 32" concentric lol

That will fit on the trailer nicely, right next to the mini excavator - you're going to be digging a big hole! I have dug holes more than knee high with an 18 inch coil...

"Gold is learning how to hide better"
Equinox 600 - 2 x GPZ 7000s Nothing else needed...

1 user likes this post: Deepseeker