Piesse and Lubin perfume bottle - 1880 - 1900's.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this Piesse and Lubin perfume bottle in my front yard. The company traded from 1855 until the 1950's.

1610063410_piesse_and_lubin.jpg

My house was built in 1880, and interestingly the bottle looks identical to a couple that were recovered from a shipwreck in Bermuda dating back to 1864,

It's an interesting story:

"In February 2011, a strong winter storm exposed and removed a stable sediment layer deep within the intact bow section of the shipwreck Mary Celestia, a Civil War Blockade Runner sunk in 1864 off the south shore of Bermuda in 55 feet of water. Four months later, over a seven-day excavation, a local and international team of marine archaeologists, co-led by Philippe Max Rouja, (Bermudas Custodian of historic shipwrecks), James Delgado (NOAA) and Dominique Rissollo (Waitt Institute) uncovered and rescued a small cache of hidden artifacts from the Mary Celestia, including perfume bottles embossed Piesse & Lubin London."

https://www.cafleurebon.com/150-yea...bin-perfume-rescued-off-the-coast-of-bermuda/

Goldpick said:
If I lived in an 1800's house, I'd be out there everyday having a detect. Have you managed to find any coins at all?
An interesting collection. European coins from the 80s, American cents, brown buggers, decimal silver, modern goldies etc.

Interesting stuff includes a 1928 halfpenny and a 1906 threepence, as well as a rising sun hat badge.

It is clear that much of the yard has been raised by a foot or so at various times, and there is a layer of pebbles about 6 inches down over most of the back yard.

So I suspect most of the pre decs are below detecting range, which is around 10 inches with the Multi Kruser.

But one thing is clear- you never get everything and it is worth going over ground multiple times.

Nice find Dr Duck, and extra nice to be able to make that connection with the bottles found in the wreck.

I've got a nice collection of old bottles found at my place, which was built in about 1907. I found most of my bottles years ago when I was doing a big landscaping project before I got into detecting - if only I had a detector back then...

Latest posts