battery recommendation for camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

looking at getting a few things together for some short camping trips. I am getting a battery box together not sure what size battery i need
the only thing i need to power is led lights for max 2 nights at a time i have these from kings

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ad...xd2aAgDBz7aGRF7KRclYNdI-zjehgvngaAgezEALw_wcB

I assume i can buy some solar panels to charge battery while I'm out bush so looking for recommendation for battery size to get.
not sure how long the lights would run before going flat also would a 12v 10w solar charger be sufficient or would i need more?
any help appreciated.

Thanks

Do you know what the total wattage or amps draw is from the lights? Without that info, "how long is a piece of string" :) i.e. from my experience each meter of light can draw from 0.5 amps to over 1.0 amps depending on how many LED segments there are. You have 2.5 meters total which could be anywhere from 2.5 to 6 amps, if you use all on at a time.

Also give an indication of how many of these lights would be used and for how long each night. i.e. all lights for 5 hours could be from 15-30 AH.

My thought is a minimum of an 80 AH AGM and more like an 80 W panel.

But as I mentioned, I'm flying blind as I don't know the answers to the Qs I pose, only guessing from experience.

condor22 said:
Do you know what the total wattage or amps draw is from the lights? Without that info, "how long is a piece of string" :) i.e. from my experience each meter of light can draw from 0.5 amps to over 1.0 amps depending on how many LED segments there are. You have 2.5 meters total which could be anywhere from 2.5 to 6 amps, if you use all on at a time.

Also give an indication of how many of these lights would be used and for how long each night. i.e. all lights for 5 hours could be from 15-30 AH.

My thought is a minimum of an 80 AH AGM and more like an 80 W panel.

But as I mentioned, I'm flying blind as I don't know the answers to the Qs I pose, only guessing from experience.

I have zero idea what they use did not come with any specs and the website has nothing either.

I would probably use 5 lights for about 4 hours a night.

stevenj48 said:
I have zero idea what they use did not come with any specs and the website has nothing either.

I would probably use 5 lights for about 4 hours a night.

Actually, the website does have something:
1609759803_led_specs1.jpg

And Google has this:
1609759843_led_specs.jpg

So if you can figure out how many of those SMD's there are in total (is it 30 all-up or 30 per bar?), a bit of arithmetic will give you the current draw.

I bought the same kit a couple of months ago, doubt you'll need to run all 5 bars flat out as they're pretty bright, the dimmers are great and I also bought the 2 x orange extensions, I only use the orange extensions as they don't attract the bugs like the white ones.
If you're only using them for say 2 nights and 3-4 hrs dimmed to 50% per night you won't even need the deep cycle battery IMO as I've found mine use very little power, if you were running a 12v fridge then deep cycle and solar panel would be needed but just the lights I'd be surprised if you'd use more than 2 bars of light dimmed for a small camp.
Might be worth buying a small plug in battery monitor and run them off your vehicle for the first trip before forking out for battery and solar panel, just a suggestion.

At full power 30 off 5050 LEDs @ 60mA = 1.8 amps each bar. If dimmed at 50% and assuming they use half the amps, then each bar will use roughly 3.6 AH for 4 hours - 18 AH for all 5. Over 2 days = 36 AH. So my thoughts remain the same an 80 AH AGM will do you for 2 days without solar. Then you charge it at home when you get back. :)
It's always better to have a more battery than just enough.

I'd agree with Pete, buy a power meter and find out what they use in your usage scenario.

However, the 10 W solar panel you suggest will put in bugger all, especially in the middle of the year. Those small panels are not much use for charging only keeping a full battery, full.

I think i will be rubbished by a few on here but i will say it anyway

First thing i will ask is what type of veh are you talking about
Different vehicles give you different setups and options
Lots of advice but depending on what you have depends on what you can do
Sent you a pm i will be or hope to be out of hospital tomorrow so give me a ring after lunch
I will tell you the setup i had for 4 years with NEVER a problem and was not expensive plus i have some spare stuff you can have

100ah deep cycle.
I have a 105 and it runs multiple led lights charges phones and runs a 80 ltr fridge for 2 days easily befor it even looks like needing a charge.
Then I use a 200w solar panel. :Y:

I've been using a Coleman Lithium rechargeable lantern for the past year. Lasts for many a night in a row and top it up every now and again when the cars running. I don't stay up late though when out in the bush unless I am fishing hard.

Thanks for the input
i don't need much light more for when the kids are with me but got a cheap battery box of Facebook marketplace today will get a battery for it and and solar panel kit.

You can get a good battery off a wreckers for say $50 . Lasts for one or two trips or even longer . Got one to start my 4 x 4 , cca 630 amps , one year old $70 . A good deal .

Mike678 said:
You can get a good battery off a wreckers for say $50 . Lasts for one or two trips or even longer . Got one to start my 4 x 4 , cca 630 amps , one year old $70 . A good deal .

A standard car battery? Are they around 50ah? I might grab one and try before investing in a deep cycle

I agree with Ridge Runner . In the past I have spent too much on solar panels , etc. etc .

Some car batteries are sealed .

Mike678 said:
I agree with Ridge Runner . In the past I have spent too much on solar panels , etc. etc .

Well I bought 4 boxes of these, there is 2 in each box which gives me 8 lights to dot around the Camp, ie One by the side door of the Van and one at the tailgate etc, Each one will run way more than 12 hours and they have 3 settings and they are great in a power out,

Also I stuck Two lengths of 1" / 25mm magnetic Tape on the back of them, remembering to remove the shinny surface off of the outside of the Tape so it grips the Van better.

1609901393_my_led_s.jpg

Ridge Runner said:
Mike678 said:

Well I bought 4 boxes of these, there is 2 in each box which gives me 8 lights to dot around the Camp, ie One by the side door of the Van and one at the tailgate etc, Each one will run way more than 12 hours and they have 3 settings and they are great in a power out,

Also I stuck Two lengths of 1" / 25mm magnetic Tape on the back of them, remembering to remove the shinny surface off of the outside of the Tape so it grips the Van better.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3775/1609901393_my_led_s.jpg

thanks will check them where did you purchase from?

There is a PDF manual for that kit on the web page linked by the OP.

https://marketing.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ manuals/All manuals/FSLL-4BAR_DEL170330V1.pdf

According to the manual, each bar draws 0.55A (presumably that's flat out):

1609913049_led_bar.jpg

A couple of bars run at half speed for two nights is going to use three fifths of five eighths.

The figure ties in pretty well with some cheaper, but similar, bars I bought on eBay....they have 36 LEDS per bar, and draw 0.9A flat out.

Used with a small step-dimmer, they draw around 0.5A at about half-speed, and provide more than enough light at that setting.

I doubt that your vehicle battery would even know they were there :)

Just don't forget to turn them off before you hit the sack.

Katabatic said:
There is a PDF manual for that kit on the web page linked by the OP.

https://marketing.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ manuals/All manuals/FSLL-4BAR_DEL170330V1.pdf

According to the manual, each bar draws 0.55A (presumably that's flat out):

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/19153/1609913049_led_bar.jpg

A couple of bars run at half speed for two nights is going to use three fifths of five eighths.

The figure ties in pretty well with some cheaper, but similar, bars I bought on eBay....they have 36 LEDS per bar, and draw 0.9A flat out.

Used with a small step-dimmer, they draw around 0.5A at about half-speed, and provide more than enough light at that setting.

I doubt that your vehicle battery would even know they were there :)

Just don't forget to turn them off before you hit the sack.

thanks for the info i have a battery box i might just grab used car battery and trial that rather use my car battery

Latest posts