Detecting with a back issue

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering how members with a painful back problem manage it while detecting? Do you use a harness, a swing arm, both? Any other solutions you find helpful?
Unfortunately as we mature our bodies dont seem to handle things as easily, our mind says Go & our bodies say Hang on a minute.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

G'day Astro.

I have a spondylolithesis at L5 on S1. This is basically, I have a cracked support on one of my vertebrae and my spine is slipping forward at the point of Lumbar 5 at Sacrum 1 verterbrae.
I have had it for more than 30 years and fortunately it doesn't cause me a great deal of pain while prospecting until the end of the day, especially swinging the 7000. What it does cause me is fatigue in my back at the end of the day.

The 7000 will be the one detector that will cause you discomfort because of it's weight. The GPX series and before are so much lighter.

Regular use of any detector will help decrease the tiredness at the end of the day, and make sure you don't over extend your back and do all the recommended things in regard to digging and lifting.

Don't overdo the detecting and rest when you need to. Another thing I have found is the scraping of the ground with your foot when a signal is found. It will put strain on your back as well as your hips and groin area.

The only thing I have ever used is the bungy cord supplied hooked up to a Camelbak hydration pack with 3 litres of water in it to balance the load. I have never used the hip stick but wondered if it would help.

I'm sure others will help you with the hip stick and even the front support that comes with some of the Minelab harnesses. A harness of some sort is essential unless your are Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Regards Axtyr.

It depends! I have numerous back and neck issues - I find the "heavier" 7000 less aggravating than the "lighter" 5000. The thing is to take it easy, know your limitations - do not over do it. Choose flat ground locations as many are not and remember, you still have to swing a pick to recover your finds no matter what you use.

atxyr gives some very good advice above, but I would recommend the try before you buy to see what suits "you". Also, for me - a hipstick is a MUST.

If I lift wrong, stretch out and lift and/or stand wrong my back will go with the blink of an eye. With the 7000 I use the camel-back, bungy cord and hip stick, and never had a problem.

It's digging the holes that gets me :(

I'm not an expert on ergonomics etc, and I can imagine the swinging action of a detector could be a problem for some, but with regards to what happens when you get a target, I see a lot in the online vids that is about efficiency and speed and potentially harmful...which if you have a back issue is not a good way to go. I suspect that slowing down, properly kneeling beside a target, minimising swinging of picks - perhaps even prefer the levering of a cold chisel and a mallet to break up the ground then lifting pieces at a time... the pulling back action people sometimes use to scrape ground is basically like lifting a heavy object with poor form from what I've seen. Like all physical activities it's no problem at all until its a problem...

Astro, I used the Minelab harness that was supplied with the 7000. After first trip I operated with scalpel and removed all the "gorilla struts" and sewed up wounds with my trusty old sewing machine. Retained the spreader bar to distribute weight to both shoulders when attaching the bungee.
Stepping back a couple of moves.
Have seen many using the 7K with the bungee anchored to the stem just above the coil.
My method dating back to the 2000 hasn't changed.

Attach bungee to the stem of which ever model you own, then when you pick it up with bungee only, it hangs at the angle you normally swing.
(Back to 7K) Now attach bungee clip to the spreader bar and tension it until the coil hovers just above the ground (with out actually holding detector handle) when you are standing upright in detecting stance.
Using the swing arm on most days.

This method is tried and proven and the weight of the 7000 that many harp on about is not a problem.

Good luck in 2021.

Cheers

Astro, I find that treasure hunting makes the old body work as the mind forgets the pain.

Alternatively my Dr told me that as soon as i'm suffering, to take a couple of Panadol... then have a shower, heating my back up in the process.... then go for a good walk on even ground. This resets your pain perception.... Ie- the body realises that it is walking pain free and marks that as the new normal.

When I do the above I'm cured instead of wincing pain for two weeks. :perfect:

Works for me. :p

axtyr said:
G'day Astro.

I have a spondylolithesis at L5 on S1. This is basically, I have a cracked support on one of my vertebrae and my spine is slipping forward at the point of Lumbar 5 at Sacrum 1 verterbrae.
I have had it for more than 30 years and fortunately it doesn't cause me a great deal of pain while prospecting until the end of the day, especially swinging the 7000. What it does cause me is fatigue in my back at the end of the day.

The 7000 will be the one detector that will cause you discomfort because of it's weight. The GPX series and before are so much lighter.

Regular use of any detector will help decrease the tiredness at the end of the day, and make sure you don't over extend your back and do all the recommended things in regard to digging and lifting.

Don't overdo the detecting and rest when you need to. Another thing I have found is the scraping of the ground with your foot when a signal is found. It will put strain on your back as well as your hips and groin area.

The only thing I have ever used is the bungy cord supplied hooked up to a Camelbak hydration pack with 3 litres of water in it to balance the load. I have never used the hip stick but wondered if it would help.

I'm sure others will help you with the hip stick and even the front support that comes with some of the Minelab harnesses. A harness of some sort is essential unless your are Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Regards Axtyr.

Great advice Axtyr, thanks. I have a displaced lumbar vertebrae that will require surgery in the future but Im going down the management path first. I already have a Minelab Pro Swing for my X-Terra 705 & Im leaning towards the SDC2300 as my next detector. I fully your understand back fatigue at the end of the day!

A-team said:
It depends! I have numerous back and neck issues - I find the "heavier" 7000 less aggravating than the "lighter" 5000. The thing is to take it easy, know your limitations - do not over do it. Choose flat ground locations as many are not and remember, you still have to swing a pick to recover your finds no matter what you use.

atxyr gives some very good advice above, but I would recommend the try before you buy to see what suits "you". Also, for me - a hipstick is a MUST.

Thanks A-team, I do tend to overdo things & forget my limitations. Im looking at buying a Little Ripper pick from bluejeansronald to keep the weight down around my waist.

Prooz said:
If I lift wrong, stretch out and lift and/or stand wrong my back will go with the blink of an eye. With the 7000 I use the camel-back, bungy cord and hip stick, and never had a problem.

It's digging the holes that gets me :(

Thanks Prooz. Yep, been there done that! The camelback & bungy cord seem to be a must, Axtyr made the same suggestion.

Jaros said:
There's a lot of us here with that problem.
Do you have a wife or girlfriend to assist.

I dont have husband or boyfriend either!

BTW Jaros, did I mention my real name is Kim :lol: :lol: :lol:

UnderEmployedGeo said:
I'm not an expert on ergonomics etc, and I can imagine the swinging action of a detector could be a problem for some, but with regards to what happens when you get a target, I see a lot in the online vids that is about efficiency and speed and potentially harmful...which if you have a back issue is not a good way to go. I suspect that slowing down, properly kneeling beside a target, minimising swinging of picks - perhaps even prefer the levering of a cold chisel and a mallet to break up the ground then lifting pieces at a time... the pulling back action people sometimes use to scrape ground is basically like lifting a heavy object with poor form from what I've seen. Like all physical activities it's no problem at all until its a problem...

Thanks for the reminder UnderEmployedGeo, I do tend to rush into tasks. Next time I get a signal Ill take a deep breath & slow down.

Nightjar said:
Astro, I used the Minelab harness that was supplied with the 7000. After first trip I operated with scalpel and removed all the "gorilla struts" and sewed up wounds with my trusty old sewing machine. Retained the spreader bar to distribute weight to both shoulders when attaching the bungee.
Stepping back a couple of moves.
Have seen many using the 7K with the bungee anchored to the stem just above the coil.
My method dating back to the 2000 hasn't changed.

Attach bungee to the stem of which ever model you own, then when you pick it up with bungee only, it hangs at the angle you normally swing.
(Back to 7K) Now attach bungee clip to the spreader bar and tension it until the coil hovers just above the ground (with out actually holding detector handle) when you are standing upright in detecting stance.
Using the swing arm on most days.

This method is tried and proven and the weight of the 7000 that many harp on about is not a problem.

Good luck in 2021.

Cheers

That sounds like a great method Nightjar, I have the Minelab harness so Ill give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

silver said:
Astro, I find that treasure hunting makes the old body work as the mind forgets the pain.

Alternatively my Dr told me that as soon as i'm suffering, to take a couple of Panadol... then have a shower, heating my back up in the process.... then go for a good walk on even ground. This resets your pain perception.... Ie- the body realises that it is walking pain free and marks that as the new normal.

When I do the above I'm cured instead of wincing pain for two weeks. :perfect:

Works for me. :p

Thats what I do now, Silver. I take a couple of Ibuprofen first thing in the morning when I know Im going to have a long day. They seem to relax my back enough so I can do things that would normally cause a problem.

Astro said:
Hi all,

I was wondering how members with a painful back problem manage it while detecting? Do you use a harness, a swing arm, both? Any other solutions you find helpful?
Unfortunately as we mature our bodies dont seem to handle things as easily, our mind says Go & our bodies say Hang on a minute.

G'day

Easiest fix it attaching a "hip stick" to your harness, they come in about three sizes to suit your height/body length?, it transfers the weight from your arm and lower back to your hips, providing you don't have hip issues it works a treat, anyway not to worry its amazing how the aches and pains seem to disappear when you are digging a nugget :p , then a few :beer: after also helps. :perfect:

cheers

stayyerAU

UnderEmployedGeo said:

I agree with Geo, i have had a lower back problem for over 30 years and have been in traction in hospital a few times now. I use a harness and bungee on my 5000 which i can use for eight hours in a day with the normal fatigue you would expect after that amount of time.

My problems always comes from digging holes or the scraping of the surface with my foot which i never do anymore. I always use kneepads and kneel on every hole. Go slow and enjoy the dig. If i do not do this, the first hole i dig could be my last for the day and probable for a week which i will spend on my back in bed.

This may not be the same for all but it is definately the digging that causes me issues, seems to be that bending over with the weight of the pick out in front of me then dragging back that does the damage.

Building up your core muscles by walking regularly will also help with the use of the detector and is something that i do every day and this has helped me out heaps with my lower back just in general.

grubstake said:
Astro said:
Jaros said:
There's a lot of us here with that problem.
Do you have a wife or girlfriend to assist.

I dont have husband or boyfriend either!

BTW Jaros, did I mention my real name is Kim :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess you were named after the famous WA cricketer:
https://www.cricketcountry.com/arti...s-about-australian-crickets-golden-boy-499260
:playful:

I forgot about him grubstake :Y:

My father always wanted a boy after two girls. He poured some concrete at a holiday shack before I was born & wrote in it Jann Sue & Ian. Thats how I became a tomboy! :lol:

StayyerAU said:
Astro said:
Hi all,

G'day

Easiest fix it attaching a "hip stick" to your harness, they come in about three sizes to suit your height/body length?, it transfers the weight from your arm and lower back to your hips, providing you don't have hip issues it works a treat, anyway not to worry its amazing how the aches and pains seem to disappear when you are digging a nugget :p , then a few :beer: after also helps. :perfect:

cheers

stayyerAU

That sounds like a great idea StayyerAU .... especially the :beer: afterwards :Y:

Latest posts