Caravan moisture

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Goody. If it's still raining, wait until it stops then get a step ladder and see if any water is pooling on a low spot on the roof. If there's a pool there, jack the side of the van the pool's on up until the pool flows away from that area. that's where your leak could be. I know you said you had the roof done, but if they didn't completely scape all the old sealant out, and force the new stuff in, it could still seep through there. You can also use the jockey wheel to raise the front to move the pool back so it flows off the back of the van. mark where the pool is closest to any seam and that's where you scrape out the sealant, then reseal it. That's how I found the leak in my vans roof. wiley.

When I got the roof redone I bought a solid peace of sheet stuff from one of the caravan place's up at Coffs Harbour...

Had it delivered down to where my caravan was being fixed...

When he put it on I also had him reseal all the way round at the top

Was told that it should last for years to come

While I was trying to put the tarp on I noticed that the stone guard at the top has came unstuck :(

The bloke that did the work on the caravan put that cloth tape on it and told me it would be ok ...

I think with all the high temperature we have had has unstuck the tape, then with all this rain it maybe got in that way :(

So all I can think of is that the water came in through the stone guard or the window

I don't know how to fix it....so I will go to a different caravan repair place tomorrow to try and get a quote

Hi Goody I'm restoring a 1967 viscount ambassador and am a member of vintage caravans which covers vans made up to 1970. From 1/1/70 onwards the sister site is called Classic Caravan forum and I would suggest spending some time researching with them as to potential problems. It may well be the window but the J rail which goes over the join between the roof & wall are also notorious for letting water in. These, if they are the cause are easy to unscrew, clean up & reseal. Windows are doable as well, the hard part is cleaning them up for new sealer. Personally I like Sikaflex but others like Mastic. Each to their own I guess. there are sites on Facebook as well that cover different makes of caravans. I hope you can find a solution, these site have some people with amazing knowledge of caravans. the big problem is if the frame is timber & if rot has set in, my viscount has an aluminium frame so easier to restore. Good Luck.

I'd contact the people who repaired it, and describe the problem. they may have an idea about it, or, they may offer to check it out for you, as a goodwill gesture. wiley.

Thank you all for the great advice on fixing the problems with my caravan

As you can see i am still awake thinking about how am I going to fix this problems while listening to the rain doing more damage to the caravan :(

I am going upto Coffs Harbour today to see another caravan repair place as I don't trust the bloke that temped to fix it last time...

He just took way to long to fix anything on the van ...a couple of thing's I had to get him to do again...then he over charged me for what he quoted me ...

Plus he was always grumpy

I will take a lot of photos of the problem to take with me to show the other repair places...

Regards Goody

Goody, with an older van you either need to have deep pockets or be handy.

In that youtube video it shows how to do it. It may be daunting but being able to fix things yourself is a great skill to have.

Perhaps give it a try with someone to assist? is there a local mens shed etc around, the old blokes that hang around in them are often bored and looking for a project.

Cleaning up the frame and prepping it properly is honestly the bastard part of the job, pulling the window out and putting it back in is easy as hell.

Having a nice clean surface for the sealant to adhere to is the important part, and this is where a lazy repair person may not to a wonderful job. Perhaps it will last a year maybe more, maybe many more, but if you do it yourself you know it's been done right.

I don't have anyone to help me

I hardly had any sleep and it rain heavyly through the night.....

I am going to Coffs Harbour now to ask a lot of questions about