Caravan moisture

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StoneTheCrows said:
Goody

You can also buy moisture absorbers in a little container
I know that wont fix the problem but short term it does work

I had a leak in my house - put the absorber near the issue while I was waiting to get the leak fixed and after two days there was no sign of the water - similar to the photo you posted..

Yup, I was gonna suggest this too Goody.
Sure the leak still needs to be addressed, but try and get rid of the moisture in the air.
Keep that fan on too even?

The screws don't look rusty

Still waiting on the rain to stop :|

Have fan heater going on and off on it

Will turn it back on again tomorrow

All so will drop down town and pick up a moisture container tomorrow :)

Replace the sealing around the windows . That is the problem IMO . Have a look around the sealing on the windows and look for hair line cracks in the sealant .

Think my caravan is a lot worse than I first thought

Water all in the bottom cupboard as well :(

I am trying to put a tarp on it ..but I am struggling with the hole ordeal of it mentally

I will be ok I am just having a moment

Uploade I managed to get the tarp on the side that is leaking

Is it a poptop Goody, if so there should be two semi hard rubber strips on the hard roof that the top drops onto (known as J Moulds) 1 either side. This may be the cause of the leak along with a window seal, either or both. At a minimum all seals need to be redone which is a time consuming job. Definitely get the moisture absorbing containers and leave them in there, empty before you travel with it but make sure you always have 1 or two :Y:

First thing is to locate the source of the leak/s and then work out the best way to tackle the repair.

I think the problem starts when the paint on aluminium sheeting that attaches to the window is not scraped off to allow the sealant to make a good seal.

When I was putting on the tarp I notice at the end where you hitch the caravan to the car that the front cloth is not fitting very well

The bloke that did some work on it last year told me that he put that cloth tape on it and that should fix it but I notice in the rain that the cloth tape is gaping open :(

So maybe it is not the window

The caravan has been nothing but trouble since I bought it...

Got ripped off when I bought it and got ripped off when I had work done on it

I have had a lot of work done on it plus I have done a lot of work to it

It has cost me way to much money

My friend says that I should get rid of it and so does her family...

But I keep trying to get it fixed :| :(

I bought a new Franklin 14 foot caravan in the 1970's . In those days they sealed around the windows with "caulking sealant " It was supposed to be more flexible . I had it in Coober Pedy and Andamooka , no rain but very hot . When I took it to Sydney I had problems with water getting in , it rains a bit more in Sydney ... I had to reseal all the windows , that is my experience ....

Yeah could be Mike

But I am thinking along the lines of it getting in from the front of the caravan as there was more water pooled up in the corner than the window

Then again it could be both :(

Goody water will pool on the floor whether it's a corner or not from wherever the leak is. Keep the tarp on and revisit when the weather improves, nothing beats good daylight to inspect the areas where potential leaks can occur.

Will see if I can get some more photos tomorrow of where I think it might be getting in

I am just so over it for today

Will amit it takes a lot for me to have cry but today I could not stop

Thinking the cry might of done me some good as it's been awhile since the last cry I had :)

If one is leaking the rest will not be far from leaking either.

Some caravans used a roll of putty tape that went on the aluminium, then the window over the top and it got squeezed together when it was screwed down tight.
After a while that dries out and cracks.

Others used a sealant, which can degrade too.

The way I fixed mine was to take the windows all out, get a wire brush on the end of a drill, clean it back to metal and re fit with polyurethane.

All fixed now, 4yrs plus and no issues since.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-600ml-white-flexiseal-polyurethane-construction-sealant_p1210365

It sounds like a horrendous job, but just do one at a time and you'll be fine.

Goody, look for a Butyl Mastic sealant, these are waterproof but don't set like Sikaflex or Silicone, so if you need to get the window out in the future, the seal will come apart with a knife or paint scraper.

We used to use Butyl mastic extensively in Abattoirs as they are evolving environments, constantly being modified, so we needed waterproof seals that could be taken apart for modifications, so using this type of sealant will ensure you can remove things without destroying your van.

If you find the window mounting holes are damaged and won't hold a screw, buy a 'Rivnut' kit from Bunnings, https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-85-piece-single-handle-blind-nut-riveter-kit_p5910345 drill the hole out and fit rivnuts, you'll only need the 3 or 4mm size, then get some 3 or 4mm metal thread screws (stainless) plus some antiseize and put everything back together. Make sure you have the right size drill for the Rivnut, they must be a snug fit in the hole.

This is how they work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrvlOveePsE they are designed for fixing into thin metal.

Latest posts