Cool sand scoop for beach hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No metal in the scoop - quick and elegant method of sifting the sand and quickly finding the target(s). Originally seen on the Michael Oliver, Australian beach detector YouTube channel. The work took about two hours: jigsaw, edge grinder, drill, and final sanding. Questions? Let me know. :pickshovel:

1606870339_20201201_163057.jpg

1606870339_20201201_163111.jpg

I've seen Michael Oliver use that scoop on YouTube. Given he is often using it to recover recently lost jewellery, he is not having to dig down too far. I'd say the pro's are that it's lighter than a metal scoop, won't damage valuables and will work quite well in wet sand. I like the way you've tapered the leading edge. Where it will struggle is in a rock infested area - these areas are better suited to a strong metal scoop I reckon.

Anywhere but the really wet sand I use a fiskars scoop from bunnings and my pinpointer, I can recover targets about 5 times faster that using a big scoop, whether it's the green plastic shovel or a dedicated beach scoop. Less time recovering a target means more beach coverage and more treasure.

In wet sand and water a long handled dedicated beach scoop is the best way.