Picks - Should You Sharpen Them Or Not?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never sharpened mine, but I just put a new handle on it.
1606721966_dscf9048_2.jpg

And here I am using it in about 1952/53 OH&S please note safety boots!! Talking about good steel this one was made in West Germany.
1606722101_img_20201119_0022_5.jpg

I have taken it fossicking but as I only pan it was just in case I needed to shift something. Never carried around i.e. detecting.

Patrick1 said:
Use a poly-fan and NOT a grinding disc.
It'll be fine so long as you don't heat the pick. That's a BAD thing.

Most picks are cheap Chinese crap, I highly doubt they have been heat treated and hardened.

Although to OP; you may want to figure that out. See how a file runs across it. If it bites in - well, sharpen it with the file, then case harden the edges of it and sharpen it up like you would an axe. If it skips over it, then it's either made of a higher grade steel than I've ever seen or would expect and still probably not heat treated because I literally just do not think Chinese factories give two hoots about making things properly enough to do that. So then sharpen it like you would and axe and add liberal amounts of water (JUST in case you've got the only pick on earth that's properly hardened).

If you want to know how to case harden it look up Clickspring on YouTube he has some good videos on making tools at home.

thedigger said:
On my pick I use a section of plow disc,and truck spring on the pointed end,and fiberglass handle,no jarring.

When I am working ground that might have a deep target,I always carry this in the ute,it is made again from plow disc,which the steel is second to none.

I always encourage people to make their own tools. The cheap garbage you get these days from Bunnings etc - even a noobs first attempt at blacksmithing will be vastly superior to that Chinese stamped metal welded together by a blind man. You should be producing a short run of those. I'm sure lots of people on here would prefer to pay a decent bloke a decent rate to make a decent tool.

thedigger said:
On my pick I use a section of plow disc,and truck spring on the pointed end,and fiberglass handle,no jarring.

Where did you get your fiberglass handle, my wooden one snapped yesterday - I figure it might be stronger? is it heavier?

Also, back to the topic, yes cool grind your pick with all the above tips. It makes a hell of a difference.....

Dr Lex Winter said:
Patrick1 said:
Use a poly-fan and NOT a grinding disc.
It'll be fine so long as you don't heat the pick. That's a BAD thing.

Most picks are cheap Chinese crap, I highly doubt they have been heat treated and hardened.

Although to OP; you may want to figure that out. See how a file runs across it. If it bites in - well, sharpen it with the file, then case harden the edges of it and sharpen it up like you would an axe. If it skips over it, then it's either made of a higher grade steel than I've ever seen or would expect and still probably not heat treated because I literally just do not think Chinese factories give two hoots about making things properly enough to do that. So then sharpen it like you would and axe and add liberal amounts of water (JUST in case you've got the only pick on earth that's properly hardened).

If you want to know how to case harden it look up Clickspring on YouTube he has some good videos on making tools at home.
Most picks used for prospecting here are purpose made in Australia i.e. CC Picks, Walco, Gold Digger etc. from hardened steels.
They aren't Chinese made :rolleyes: Anyone going that route usually find out pretty quickly they need a better made pick.

A-team said:
thedigger said:

Where did you get your fiberglass handle, my wooden one snapped yesterday - I figure it might be stronger? is it heavier?

Bunnings have the handles, you usually need to shave the end to fit your individual pick.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone...-YGMTqw6hXKObaaKyUwaAs6LEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Plow disc, has had very little use so face & point have not been re-sharpened, YET!

1610582919_pick.jpg

1610582919_pick2.jpg

Nice Nightjar! :Y:
I have the same handle on a normal garden pick & was wondering about putting one on my prospecting pick if/when I need to change the handle.
How's it go on the hands/arms in hard ground?

Latest posts