Lithium ion battery to portable fridge freezer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wife wants a portable fridge freezer for when we go away. Am looking at buying a 100 ah lithium ion battery to supply power to it . Use solar panels on roof of car to charge battery. This seems like a simpler way to power a portable fridge freezer than a dual battery system. Anyone done this ? A deep cycle systems 100 ah battery looks to be a good quality battery. Not cheap at about $1300 but longer life expectancy and lighter. Faster charge up etc.

All depends on how big the fridge freezer is; how long you want to be off grid for; how many watts your panels will put out and if you get sun while you are off grid. Other than that it seems a good option. Lot to consider.

I bought 2 Dometic PLB-40's which can be charged via plugging up to a 150w Directly in to the back of the PLB-40 because it has a built in charge controller or I can plug it directly in to the vehicles Cigar socket and it is easy to carry from A to B,

They are not cheap but being fully self contained is a big bonus, and they have 2x USB ports and The 12v 2 Pin screw in socket for the Fridge and a normal 12v Cigar socket,

I bought 2x 120w foldup panels for easy storage and the PLB's charge in a couple of hours, When Travelling I plug the fridge into the PLB and plug the PLB in to the Cigar socket so it is always full when I get to my destination, And it also comes with a House Charger and they have an Anderson Charge Socket for charging Via the Car or Solar and a normal Charge Round socket for the AC Charger and the weight saving is Awesome, :Y:

Hope that helps.

Check out the Arkpak portable smart battery units :Y: carge at home in car and solar :Y: coupled with a lithium battery there light to lift and reposition from the shed car and campsite :beer:

https://www.arkcorp.com.au/product/arkpak-730/

Coupled with a portable or fixed solar system there a really simple and versatile system. With the Anderson charging port you can make a patch lead to plug into your car for charging while positioned around your campsite to give you an alternative if solar isn't an option.

Forgot to mention, Australian designed and made :perfect:

Snapperhappy said:
Wife wants a portable fridge freezer for when we go away. Am looking at buying a 100 ah lithium ion battery to supply power to it . Use solar panels on roof of car to charge battery. This seems like a simpler way to power a portable fridge freezer than a dual battery system. Anyone done this ? A deep cycle systems 100 ah battery looks to be a good quality battery. Not cheap at about $1300 but longer life expectancy and lighter. Faster charge up etc.

Exact setup ill be putting in our ute,go lithium and you wont look back,ive been meaning to get ours done but our campers been taken on all our trips the last 18 months,fitted 200ah of cells from ev works in it,we dont cart a genny anymore,the car doesnt charge the camper,they are awsome,i like the idea of not having the second car battery tied up to the cars alternator,especially with the modern electronics,KISS.......
That pack RM posted looks impressive,100ah of lithiums in that would work well....
We run these cells,strap 4 together and you have 100ah,they have there advantages and disadvantages,one cell can be replaced if its not performing but you have no built in bms and ya need to make a cradle for them really,which isnt hard.....
PS: Ah 4 strapped together gives you a 12 volt 100ah battery i meant,these days you can pick up a 100ah complete battery for $7-800 i think though.....

https://www.evworks.com.au/calb-ca100

Would definitely go the LiFeP04 over the Lion... Do some searches on YouTube, some Aussie guys/channels show how to fit these up to their 4X4/camping set-ups. Would NEVER go back to lead acid or gel cell technology. A well set-up solar charge system would provide plenty of juice. $1300 seems way high for that? Look around some more - I buy good batteries on AliExpress regularly at much less that retail, just got to check out their feedback like eBay before buying.

Goldchaser1 said:
Snapperhappy said:

Exact setup ill be putting in our ute,go lithium and you wont look back,ive been meaning to get ours done but our campers been taken on all our trips the last 18 months,fitted 200ah of cells from ev works in it,we dont cart a genny anymore,the car doesnt charge the camper,they are awsome,i like the idea of not having the second car battery tied up to the cars alternator,especially with the modern electronics,KISS.......
That pack RM posted looks impressive,100ah of lithiums in that would work well....
We run these cells,strap 4 together and you have 100ah,they have there advantages and disadvantages,one cell can be replaced if its not performing but you have no built in bms and ya need to make a cradle for them really,which isnt hard.....
PS: Ah 4 strapped together gives you a 12 volt 100ah battery i meant,these days you can pick up a 100ah complete battery for $7-800 i think though.....

https://www.evworks.com.au/calb-ca100

I've seen your set-up and camper van Dave but I don't think it will be going far until you fix up that back gate. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Doug

1606021658_ab3faad0-0e6a-4bc8-aa99-2a4561f0b138.jpg

:lol:
Its 7.4 mtrs,easy peasy on the welding,still straight atm,1 beer between a few welds to let it cool,its hard goin.....
Also spoke to one of your bosses and ya gotta take my old gate back up north next trip,they said they could use it on the station somewhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for off topic snapper.......

A-team said:
Would definitely go the LiFeP04 over the Lion... Do some searches on YouTube, some Aussie guys/channels show how to fit these up to their 4X4/camping set-ups. Would NEVER go back to lead acid or gel cell technology. A well set-up solar charge system would provide plenty of juice. $1300 seems way high for that? Look around some more - I buy good batteries on AliExpress regularly at much less that retail, just got to check out their feedback like eBay before buying.

A-Team, Can you explain a little more; " I buy good batteries on AliExpress regularly at much less that retail"
Why do you have to buy batteries regularly???

Nightjar said:
A-team said:

A-Team, Can you explain a little more; " I buy good batteries on AliExpress regularly at much less that retail"
Why do you have to buy batteries regularly???

I basically run EVERYTHING I can on solar and rechargable. I have 2 battery walls up and running 6kwh, 10kwh, another 2 planned 30kwh (600x33aH 2.3v - am half way there) and 12kwh. Solar powered electric taps, slab heating, oil heaters, tricycle, indoor pool ventilation, sensor lighting etc...etc.. and over 100 solar panels on my roof. I use a whole bunch of different sizes/formats and chemistries to suit each occasion, Lithium Ion, LiFeP04, LTO, LyPo - too many to remember. LTO is my favorite - 20,000 plus cycles! I have a 6kwh LTO battery wall on a UPS circuit that cycles up to 3 times a day. Also scratch building a all electric AWD tandem quad bike for the wife and I with 10kwh LiFeP04 battery and 4 x 300w/182nM hub motors. All my detector gear is lithium and usually upgraded to higher capacity, boosters, 5000 pack, pin-pointer, UHF, GPS etc, etc. I don't drink or smoke for health reasons so got to spend my money on something fun!