Camper Trailer Feedback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been giving some serious thought to the purchase of an off road capable Camper Trailer.

There seem to be plenty of options available, what are some of the pro's and cons?

Flexible in the forward fold/rear fold/ hard floor thinking at this stage.

I have a plan to do the lap with a Caravan in future but I want to get something to use as a base camp for trips out prospecting in the short term.

Regards
Daniel :pickshovel: :goldpan:

In the "same boat" so to speak.
And everyone is different in expectations.
Me, I'm in in the process of design.
Full box chassis, high clearance, fully enclosed trailer. Awnings, decent alloy tool box up front, load bearing roof, caged + tinny topper capacity.
Similar to a " go kart"railer in shape.
Insulated to sleep in, etc.
Capacity to store all/most of my gear.
Most camper trailers don't have the option of added gear to stow extra stuff.
Being able to leave your gear in it is a major plus!
And having such ready to go..... makes you more inclined to get out there without hesitation of fuss.
Heaps of tips and tricks in this forum under " camping" etc.
Worth the time to read and save yourself mistakes and regret.
Myself, fortunately I can fab such my own , yet I have still not rushed in just yet.
Even after endless trips out camping, expectations change.
But simplicity is always number one on the list.
I will post a thread of the specs, build and costs of it, etc.
But I will say, trailers that just have an angle line (30x30x3mm) sub frame are meant just for taking rubbish to the tip and back.
A Kings roof top tent/ pod if that's your style.
Me, a split down queen bed frame up the internal walls. Folding down to make the bed frame 400mm off the base.
Mattress suspended up to ceiling in stow.
Pull your gear out, drop the twin split bed frame down.
Drop the Mattress down onto it.
Pizz down, high and dry without ladders for a whizz in the middle of the night.
Many a company will promote the chandelier over head than practical use.

We just bought a Stoney Creek FF LE and its pretty awesome!

1603531222_off-road-camper-trailer-stoney-creek-campers-sc-ff6-gen2-support-3.jpg

Thats actually not our model, thats the 6 berth, our is the 4 berth, electric opening one..

The problem is that this is a bit like the "How long is a piece of string" question. We all have our likes, dislikes, other constraints such as the $$ stuff is also important, weather, etc. Now in the last 12 months, I have used -
1 - Swag carried in the truck that I was driving from place to place. Of course, you have to cart around other gear as well, but I had the truck for that.
2 - 1 person tent - a similar situation to above, but also ok, for bicycle touring, as swag is too big for a bike.
3 - Rooftop camper on the Prado. Nice and roomy, but a pain in the butt to pack up as I am vertically challenged.
o 3a - So I mounted the Rooftop camper on my 50 year old trailer and towed with the Prado, so that solved several issues and would be great for detecting outings.
4 - Mercedes Sprinter - 4x4 Campervan, with all the mods cons (Pricey). Great for situations where I don't have to drive another vehicle. A bit big for some places, and while it won't go anywhere, it has been on lots of bad Oz roads, farms, cattle stations, so good for long-distance stuff. I have also towed the 2a trailer option behind the sprinter to provide extra sleeping and carrying capacity for the sprinter, so far only shorter runs.

So basically horses for courses.

Rob P.

I couldnt find anything that suited what I wanted so ended up building a teardrop camper. About the size of a box trailer to store and loaded with 120L water, generator, aircon etc is under 800kg.
Strong enough to get dragged anywhere and completely water and dust proof.
If you go a hard floor canvas camper then try and avoid Chinese ones and keep an eye on weights as a lot have very high tow ball weights

1603576157_933076c3-d299-4d7f-b8ad-c2f06e77349b.jpg

PabloP said:
The problem is that this is a bit like the "How long is a piece of string" question. We all have our likes, dislikes, other constraints such as the $$ stuff is also important, weather, etc. Now in the last 12 months, I have used -
1 - Swag carried in the truck that I was driving from place to place. Of course, you have to cart around other gear as well, but I had the truck for that.
2 - 1 person tent - a similar situation to above, but also ok, for bicycle touring, as swag is too big for a bike.
3 - Rooftop camper on the Prado. Nice and roomy, but a pain in the butt to pack up as I am vertically challenged.
o 3a - So I mounted the Rooftop camper on my 50 year old trailer and towed with the Prado, so that solved several issues and would be great for detecting outings.
4 - Mercedes Sprinter - 4x4 Campervan, with all the mods cons (Pricey). Great for situations where I don't have to drive another vehicle. A bit big for some places, and while it won't go anywhere, it has been on lots of bad Oz roads, farms, cattle stations, so good for long-distance stuff. I have also towed the 2a trailer option behind the sprinter to provide extra sleeping and carrying capacity for the sprinter, so far only shorter runs.

So basically horses for courses.

Rob P.

This is probably the reason I'll still be trying to make my mind up in the next 10 years.
And another thing is that once you start looking closely at a model they all seem to have some sort of problem or another.

I nearly got a jayco nut when I researched closer they have a lot of problems.
Not keen on any of the Chinese stuff either.

Maybe I'll commission Mudgee to build me one :p

mudgee hunter said:
In the "same boat" so to speak.
And everyone is different in expectations.
Me, I'm in in the process of design.
Full box chassis, high clearance, fully enclosed trailer. Awnings, decent alloy tool box up front, load bearing roof, caged + tinny topper capacity.
Similar to a " go kart"railer in shape.
Insulated to sleep in, etc.
Capacity to store all/most of my gear.
Most camper trailers don't have the option of added gear to stow extra stuff.
Being able to leave your gear in it is a major plus!
And having such ready to go..... makes you more inclined to get out there without hesitation of fuss.
Heaps of tips and tricks in this forum under " camping" etc.
Worth the time to read and save yourself mistakes and regret.
Myself, fortunately I can fab such my own , yet I have still not rushed in just yet.
Even after endless trips out camping, expectations change.
But simplicity is always number one on the list.
I will post a thread of the specs, build and costs of it, etc.
But I will say, trailers that just have an angle line (30x30x3mm) sub frame are meant just for taking rubbish to the tip and back.
A Kings roof top tent/ pod if that's your style.
Me, a split down queen bed frame up the internal walls. Folding down to make the bed frame 400mm off the base.
Mattress suspended up to ceiling in stow.
Pull your gear out, drop the twin split bed frame down.
Drop the Mattress down onto it.
Pizz down, high and dry without ladders for a whizz in the middle of the night.
Many a company will promote the chandelier over head than practical use.

My thinking exactly MudgeeHunter, I want to be able to hook up and go with all the gear packed and waiting. /somewhat limited in a Camper trailer I agree but a hell of a lot more convenient that what I have at the moment.

I ruled out the rooftop tent for the same reason the Swag has become a 1 night option only. I cannot escape the insects and it is just not as user friendly as I want.

I look forward to your build specs.

Regards
Daniel :pickshovel: :goldpan:

Have to agree with Shep's comments concerning tow ball weights, we owned a Aus/chinese camper for a while and there were two significant problems, the first was the tow ball load as they are designed with most of the stowage in front of the axle. Fully loaded ours exceeded 300kg and our Patrol was only fitted with a 250kg hitch system, too light on the front axle for effective steering on dirt or wet roads and instant out for an insurer in the event of a prang.

The second and far more subtle problem was the axles: We had done a shakedown trip of around 400km with a few nights camping and were planning on a much longer trip so undertook all the usual checks, everything tight and to tolerance etc, then came the wheels, bit loose so pulled the hubs off, bearings were okay but the seals were shredded :mad:

Checked the axles and the seal surface was like sandpaper, not the smooth surface needed. Manufacturer didn't want to know and we didn't have time for engineering examination and DoFT, so had some sleeves made and loctited then onto the shaft then fitted oversize seals, relatively simple job but a right PitA!

When we were on the camper hunt and doing the rounds of the shows, the sales people often wondered why I wanted to get under the trailers, they didn't know I was checking the quality of the welding. As so many of the campers are built in Aus on Chinese chassis, it's a worthwhile exercise as you may be horrified with what you find, one hell of a lot of work with a grinder cleaning up bad welding :(

Caveat emptor

Not trying to steal your thunder, but might start a thread for a build.
"Tips and tricks"....
Pros and cons...
I'm open to hearing such!
Still unsure of what hub/ studd pattern to use.
Leaf of independent...

I'll throw the Jayco Swift Outback into the mix.....although it might be a bit of overkill for your needs.

Bought one Feb this year....thanks to our Covid mate, only got to use it once before it became a capital offence to go camping.

1603690988_dsc00441_medium_small.jpg

1603690885_dsc00430_small.jpg

It is "offroad capable" with 15" wheels and Jaycos' independent JTech suspension. Jayco stress that it is not intended as a full-on "offroad" camper.

Comfortable, and fitted with all (well, most) mod cons. Two burner stove, 95l fridge, 80 litre water tank, plenty of storage space, and very comfortable beds.

Another plus is, judging by our pre-purchase research, that they hold their resale value well.

Set us back around $24k, complete with bed flys, awning and full annexe.

Regards comments above about Jayco problems.....yep, they sure had them, and we saw and heard of quite a few in our ten years wandering around Australia with a 22' van (not Jayco).

Based on the stories we heard, and the problems we saw during that period, I never thought I'd see the day that I owned a Jayco.

I now own two of them....a Toyota Hiace, converted by Jayco into their "Freedom" campervan, and the Swift.

To be honest, I cannot fault either unit....we've done a lot of travelling throughout the Vic Alps in the Hiace, and had no problems.

We've done bugger-all in the Swift, but I've been "customising" it whilst in waiting mode, and can't really fault the workmanship or the materials used.....time, and use, will tell I guess.

Seems that the odd brush with the authorities and product recalls might have steered Jayco onto the straight and narrow.

Happy to provide further info if your interest lies this way.

Whilst we were in Hall's Creek about 13 yrs ago we saw a Ute/Camper someone being towed in from 400k's away from the Canning Stock Route and I should have got his name but I wasn't hooked as i am now. Then another bloke near us was waiting for some serviceperson to come and fix his winder on a Jayco camper. Not saying they're bad but it does seem to be common problem.

Latest posts