Petrol into a deisel! Oops!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldierocks said:
"Can't make that mistake (diesel in ULP). The nozzle won't fit" - in Australia!

ULP definitely fits in the truck tank once I unscrew the 5 inch cap ;) and I've never driven it outside of Australia :lol:

Well one night late out in the paddock in the sierra I went to the farm bowser to fill up with petrol. What no petrol. There was no way I would have made it back to town so I put 5 litres of diesel in.
Well she ran....crackled//// and popped with very low power but I made it into town. :)

What about putting diesel into seawater? True story. While working on Koolan Island a new tug was built in Brisbane and 4 of us were flown there to bring it home. The tug was powered with a V12 Caterpillar. We refuelled in Darwin for the long leg to Koolan. Just off Kuri Bay the engine shut down. Me being engineer I went below and discovered that both fuel tanks were dry. This could have resulted in serious maritime consequences/penalties. We were able to contact Broome by radio and they alerted Kuri Bay and they sent out a pearl lugger with 5 x 200l drums of diesel. It was too rough to come along side so they dumped them overboard and towed them to the tug with dingy. We syphoned the fuel after hauling drums on board.
Later extensive investigation revealed a design problem. We took enough fuel onboard in Darwin to do a return trip to Koolan and back to Darwin.
Why did we run out of fuel?
As many are aware a diesel engine fuel pump delivers more fuel than required, the excess returns to the tank. In this case, the tanks were full and the levelling pipework between the two tanks was undersize AND the design only had fuel returning to the port tank. Unbeknown hundreds of litres of diesel was overflowed into the ocean. We were cleared of any negligence

WA taking a nose dive regards fuel.
The Kwinana BP Refinery winding down, 600 jobs lost and all our fuel to be imported? No Australian car manufacturing now no Australian fuel? When can Australia wake up and insist Australian owned,grown and manufactured.
To add to the gloom AMP insurance to be bought out by a Yank company. Our wonderful country is going down the gurgler.

Nightjar said:
WA taking a nose dive regards fuel.
The Kwinana BP Refinery winding down, 600 jobs lost and all our fuel to be imported? No Australian car manufacturing now no Australian fuel? When can Australia wake up and insist Australian owned,grown and manufactured.
To add to the gloom AMP insurance to be bought out by a Yank company. Our wonderful country is going down the gurgler.

I did not know that about BP yet another sad day for of country