Hi all Im Spizz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a newbie to this forum and not really sure how to proceed. But here goes... Firstly thanks to Pirate Pete for his answer to my question yesterday. Its just as I thought. Its better to go local than overseas.. Iam thinking of heading around the Maldon, Castlemaine, areas for some beginners gold prospecting ince the lock down is lifted and we can all get out, But first things first. I need a detector. Can any one suggest a reasonable unit at under the $2k mark? Ive looked at Minelab and Whites and Garret units and I'm confused Please help. Also are there any members that are selling their detectors so that there may be a saving of sorts.

Many thanks and the thank you for accepting me into the forum

Welcome Spizz. The choice depends on whether you are looking for coins, relics or Gold. If looking for gold you would be better off looking for a PI detector which has the ability to search deeper than the VLF detectors. Buying 2nd hand is a good way to go but I would go Pi as they find things other models overlook.
Jaros.
Look at the bottom of the forum home page there. There is a Detector and wanting to buy or sell section.
Jaros (again). :)

G'day Spizz welcome to PA :Y: regional Victoria has been able to travel and prospect/fossick for quite a while now so I'm curious when you say your able to travel, where do you live if metro you are still limited to 25km radius for travel. Regarding detectors for 2k that are suitable for the Victorian goldfields have a look at the QED Australian designed and manufactured for 2k or a bit more you could end up with a new unit with full warranty and decent resale value if you choose to move it on. Use the search icon top left and check out the thread's related to QED, I don't own one and haven't used one todate but there's plenty of people who do as you'll see in the associated threads. Best of luck when you do get the chance to get amongst it :beer:

Welcome to PA Spizza .....
Choosing a detector is always an issue, especially if financial resources are stretched.
The Gold Monster is the best available (new) in your price range BUT suggest you try before you buy, the SDC is a no brainer in my mind followed by any GPX (with a steep learning curve).
Most good detector shops have rental units .......... try before you buy.
Cheers T.

Oh ... whatever you do steer clear of cheap eBay/Gumtree offers .... most likely fake. Reputable sellers will always be able to provide serial numbers that you can check with Minelab to confirm legit/not stolen units.

Latest posts