1943 Sydney Aerial Imagery

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillek

Ian
Reaction score
Not sure if you're aware but http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ has a nice feature where you can switch between 1943 aerial photography and modern day imagery.
In doing so I found some interesting cutouts in what is now a bush area near me... But what the heck are these cutouts - looks almost like peat / sod cutting

1602540752_peat.jpg

I've also located a couple of sites that once were houses and now open park areas - time to look for some threepenny bits under where the clotheslines were :)

Given the date of the photos and fears at the time, could they be gun emplacements?

If you can spot them, any temporary military encampments could be well worth checking out, especially if you can locate nearby scrubby areas where off-duty servicemen might have headed for a quiet game of poker, out of sight of their officers. I had some good success with this years ago in NZ, near a major WWII US troops campsite in Auckland.

Now I look at these images again it is possible they were small structures (based on shadows of other nearby items).
They are about 10m across at the widest

Latest posts