Tigers Eye

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Col, I did find traces in Crookwell- too big to fit in my backpack.
29042012012.jpg

Hi B , it used to have asbestos , extract from Wiki

Tiger's eye (also called Tigers eye or Tiger eye) is a chatoyant gemstone that is usually a metamorphic rock that is a golden to red-brown color, with a silky luster. A member of the quartz group, it is a classic example of pseudomorphous replacement by silica of fibrous crocidolite (blue asbestos). An incompletely silicified blue variant is called Hawk's eye.

Sure Col, Crookwell River about half a kilometer from the iron mine downstream when you hit slate mine youre in the right place. Had a wheelbarrow full of this stuff couple of years ago when the missus was fixing fencing and knew she didn't have enough quickset she decided to use the stones in a wheelbarrow thinking that was me cleaning around the shed. lol or maybe next time I go and trout fishing Ill get you some.

Many thanks headbut :)

It's my birth stone but when told about the asbestos content in it (complete or not). I said to myself not hanging that on my neck :D

Latest posts