An unexpected find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After doing a fair bit of research, and going back to a spot I thought may have been an old farm (is now dense bush). I finally pulled out some goods.
I Only spent a few hours where I think was the old dump may have been due to the amount of trash and iron I found. I'm still yet to determine where the house site may have been.
But anyway, here are the notable finds.

An 1899 Brit penny, what I think are cufflinks, a small porcelain item, and an old brooch.

After some research, it turns out the brooch is an 1836 silver half crown, that has been hand engraved and enameled! Very unexpected.
Does anyone know the history of why this would have been done?

Secondly, any guesses what the small hollow piece of porcelain maybe?

1601471155_20200930_204552.jpg
1601471352_20200930_2046.jpg

Awesome find. Look at the colour on that piece.

I have no info to add, just wanted to say well done on the find.

Cheers.

That's an excellent find. I had to do a bit of research on enamelled coins, as I'd never heard of them before - good to learn something new! Looks like a site worth persisting with.

Try and get a copy of an old parish map , from the lands department . There is a lot of info. on them . Blocks of land , gold claims ,water races etc.

ChrisD said:
The enameled coin is just sensational, never seen one detected before. Something else to add to the bucket list now. Online resources show that it was very popular in the Victorian era, late 1800s. This link has a good explanation

Its definitely going in the display case, I'm super chuffed with it!
That's an excellent explanation, Thanks!

Very nice find, have seen plenty of enamelled coins on UK sites though rare to see them here, especially with the enamel still intact. :Y:

Oooohhhhh.............aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Latest posts