Another newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for letting me join the forum.

Absolute newbie based in suburban Melbourne - interested in gold prospecting, love being outside in the bush, have a 4WD, not doing this to make my fortune, but have had a life long interest in gold prospecting. Having an excuse to get outside is the primary driver - once we see the back of this damned pandemic. I have been very lucky to have seen a lot of Australia (& the world) in my working life.

Have not bought any books or equipment yet. Thinking of a Minelab Equinox 800 and will see what happens if I can master how to use it - still researching.

Tips/advice appreciated.

Doug Stone book "Metal detecting for gold in Australia" - thoughts?

Cheers

Ozvino (Dave)

G'day ozvino welcome to PA if it's gold you want to detect the best start up machine for anyone new or old is the SDC2300 as for easy learning curve. Pretty much everyone is in the hobby for the same reasons as you mate, enjoying the outdoors and the next adventure the bonus of this forum is the meet ups with like minded people. If the Equinox is your choice for multi purpose beach,parks and gold stick with your plans. As for books Doug Stone's are a good source but not the only one the best reading/research is anything factual on your chosen location. All the best when you get the opportunity to head for the goldfields :beer:

Cheers guys

I will continue to research books and other information. Being from Melbourne I will probably focus on the goldfields around Ballarat/Bendigo etc. however I am keen for a road-trip once the Covid lockdown is over and might head Nth to NSW then the NT in November (if we Mexicans are allowed).

Specific to detectors, the more I research I do, its looking like the SDC2300 is the benchmark to go for - I wasnt keen on spending $4k+ but maybe thats a better direction. They seem very easy to sell used if the need arises.

Thx
OzV

Yes the SDC2300 has proven it's worth in a variety of conditions. It's a bit pricey but with the effort you put in you should be a happy lad--ps. Luck also plays a big part. :) :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel:

I pulled the trigger and bought a new SDC2300 - contemplated other equipment but at the end of the day I knew I would have had buyers remorse.

As soon as Chairman Dan allows us to travel further than Bunnings I will head into the bush

Awesome :perfect: well done :power: you won't regret it. When you do get the opportunity which is likely to be allowed next week :) (the emi in the GT is going to be off the scale with everyone in metropolitan Melbourne being freed :lol: ) put up a post in the members meet ups and ask for someone to buddy up with :Y: I can't guarantee my availability but someone else might be able to catch up and help you get started :beer: All the best when you do get amongst it.

RM Outback said:
Awesome :perfect: well done :power: you won't regret it. When you do get the opportunity which is likely to be allowed next week :) (the emi in the GT is going to be off the scale with everyone in metropolitan Melbourne being freed :lol: ) put up a post in the members meet ups and ask for someone to buddy up with :Y: I can't guarantee my availability but someone else might be able to catch up and help you get started :beer: All the best when you do get amongst it.

Appreciate it mate, will do

OK, so I finally managed to get out with the SDC, the outskirts of Bendigo on a 3 hour Miners Den training session - my booty is listed below after a couple of hours poking around, as you can see I wont be retiring anytime soon. Was happy to start figuring out the controls and start to find targets, albeit "junk" as such.

I was really impressed with the Minders Den training, the people involved were knowledgable, friendly and very approachable.

1605506069_img_6538.jpg

1605506069_img_6539.jpg

That's imitation gold-wait for the colour to change to a glistening yellow.

Don't worry keep persisting trying "known"spots and you will get the idea soon enough.
Jaros

Wishfull said:
Youve found an old percussion cap used back in the muzzle loader days.
If your finding lead shot then probably no many been looking where you are.

That was my thinking - I can curse myself now for every shotgun I have fired, its absolutely karma :D

Latest posts