Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nofind

Richard
Reaction score
Hi,
My old GPS has broken and am on the look out for a new one.

I am looking at the Magellan Explorist range (510) or the Garmin Etrax (30).

Has anyone any comments on these?

The other big issues is with maps. What are the best maps to get for either of these GPS as what comes with them is not adequate I reckon.

Any help appreciated,

Rich

I have an Etrax which was very reliable but haven't used it since I got my iPad and iPhone. They both handle lots of different map types, which are free to download from the state government websites, and the gps doesn't need phone reception to work. You can get a secondhand iPhone for about $200, iPads are about $400 but worth every sent I reckon because it also replaced my laptop.

DD

DD
I have an IPHONE (3S) and IPAD 2 and do use them extensively for in car navigation (Co-pilot and Hema maps). The versions I have do not require the phone service to work.

I have carried my iPhone while bush walking (IPAD a bit much to carry :)) but have found it a bit wanting but in a pinch would use it.
When using the iphone I normally take a way point at me origin but find it does not take points often enough to show you the path you took (ie has big gaps). The battery life is not great either.

I bought a VMS 500s a few years back and found it a bit disappointing at times. It is the one that stopped working. It was not cheap either at the time. For turn by turn navigation I prefer the IPAD as have a mount installed for it and the big screen is so much better.

So reckon the IPHONE/IPAD is a great option but do not see them ideal if hoofing around in the bush.

Rich

Asked the same question after the first time I got lost in the bush in WA.
(It's OK, I didn't perish, but it took me half an hour to get back to a spot I recognised. Scared the bejeezes outa me)
The locals all said, "the most basic eTrex is the one to use. AND!! ..always carry a set of spare batteries.
I bought an eTrex 10. It'll bring you back home and record the waypoints of any finds.
It blows me away how many prospectors, including many very experienced bushmen, who get lost every year. Some are out there for days before they are found.

I use an android phone with andronix app with the festy 25k topos works well and don't have to be online for it.

Started using my iPad with the mud maps app a month or two ago, it was expensive compared to a lot of others but has really good features.

Now they have bought out mud map 2 and consider it a different product rather than an upgrade.

Not happy jan.

sh4ggs said:
Started using my iPad with the mud maps app a month or two ago, it was expensive compared to a lot of others but has really good features.

Now they have bought out mud map 2 and consider it a different product rather than an upgrade.

Not happy jan.

Bit late now, but MemoryMap is basically the same app but a lot cheaper, it was free but I think it's $10 now. Try using GISRoam, it's free (but you need the $10 data connect package to put your own maps on) and the maps are free on the government website.

DD

I have an explorist 310 and have found it to be a great little GPS. Even in the heavily wooded areas where the Ipads struggle the 310 maintains a good signal. Also has inbuilt geocaching for those that like exploring and finding new places.

Richard

Hi everyone,

Just throwing this into the circle to see who likes what and which one I should be looking at.

I'm referring to the Garmin e-Trex Range. Is there much difference between the e-Trex 10, 20 and 30? Will the difference matter drastically out in the field and what we do?

I'm on the verge of getting one but I don't want to spend heaps if it's not necessary, just in order to have the latest toys when the benefits are not that great.

Any ideas/help on this matter?

Thanks
Gav

All I can say is ensure that you purchase one from Australia, I was caught out thinking that I was being smart and saving some money and purchased a GPS from the US, whilst it is a great unit it was not released in Australia and the base map was for the US.

The money I saved ended up costing me to purchase a new microsd card with the Australian maps on it.

The garmin range are very good though and purchasing the Etrex 20 or 30 will do what you want it to do.

I have had a garmin GPS-76 for about 10 years and have never had any problems.

Thanks for that Richard. It does pay to research what you need, I've also heard similar stories and recently it was in regards to an IPIRB but the person who bought it actually bought it from the US, something about needing it to be re registered over here again etc. I"m waiting on my ACR Resqlink but I was careful and ordered it from an Aussie seller. I'll look more closely at the eTrax 20 then. Cheers :)

Hi mate, that's a great price. I'll have a sort through a few things over the weekend and I'm sure I'll be in touch with him soon after that.
Thanks for that info :)

AgMan, thanks for letting me know about Kemjak's Garmin 62, my sister has bought me an eTrax 20 with tropo maps included, now I'm just waiting for it to be delivered. Thanks again, it;s all yours now :)

No wuckkas Gav,
I'm just playing around with Topo's on my iPhone - if I can get my head around it.
Looking at some old posts from DiggerDude. Seems WA maps are free, but Vic ones you gotto pay for :/

I feel for you, it's hard but once you get the jist of it, it becomes second nature. I think I will refresh my topo knowledge which isn't the best, I guess good old google and you tube would suffice as my teachers for now :)

I just purchased a Garmin Etrex10 on a recommendation from a very successful prospector friend who uses his all the time. I just uploaded the boundaries of the three new designated fossicking areas in Qld and also uploaded all the old mine sites in that area. The unit only has 8mb of storage so I couldn't load the whole of qld just the area I was interested in.
It cost $99 from JB hi-fi. I will be testing it out in the field in the next week or so. My main reasons for the purchase was to:
1. find my way back to my car in the bush; and
2. to ensure I stay within the bounds of the designated fossicking areas; and
3. to plot any finds I may make so I can see if there is a pattern forming. i.e. A reef.
This unit looks like it should handle all of that.
The Garmin Basecamp software is very easy to use and to import data into I recommend this software highly. I also loaded the same data into the Memory Map application on my iPad as I use this to navigate in the car.

Sounds like you're onto a winner there gcause. I had the same reasons for wanting one, especially finding my way back to the car but with health issues not too good, I've also decided to get the ACR Resqlink, just in case, rather be safe than sorry, I'd hate to even contemplate any unfortunate instances regarding snakes etc when miles away from the car.

Let us know how it goes out in the field, using the new toy :)

Latest posts