You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Moneybox
20 September 2020 10:59 pm

Yes I'm going to be hearing that for a while.

I know, several of you voiced your concerns of my trailer A-frame modifications. Perhaps under normal circumstances it would have done the job but swinging off the back of the long overhang on the Isuzu over the rough tracks of the Pilbara proved too much for the thin walled tubular frame.

We might have even got lucky when our temporary repair failed if I hadn't attached a snatch strap from the rear top corners of the trailer to the trailer coupling. When the A-frame failed the snatch strap remained the only connection between the vehicle and top-rear of the trailer. The result was inevitable.....

However, in the end we arrived home in Cue happy and healthy. The damage was thankfully minimal and when I'm in the mood it'll be easily fixed. The whipper snipper shaft had a gentle bend that took a couple of bumps across the sawhorse to straighten and both quad bikes survived without damage. We punctured one 20L plastic water container but otherwise most things made it home in one piece.

Thanks to Merv, he cut his trip short so that we could get both quads home on the back of the ute. Unfortunately, our Aussie bush kettle blew out of the quad basket and went missing. Otherwise, all good.

Last edited by Moneybox (20 September 2020 11:04 pm)

Phil, Sandra & Taz - GPX4500's, SDC2300's, White's Goldmaster GMT, Equinox 800, pans, sieves and more in a 4WD motorhome.

10 users like this post: Northeast, 7.62marksman, Smoky bandit, Jaros, aussiefarmer, goody2shoes, Mackka, Goldfreak, BigWave, MegsyB007

Ded Driver
20 September 2020 11:36 pm

A-frames are too often the weak link .... dont skimp on steel
Good to hear at least you guys came out ok

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

3 users like this post: Moneybox, Mackka, Goldfreak

CreviceSucker
Banned
Banned
21 September 2020 12:14 am

oooopsie

did the A-frame last more than 2 km before it snapped off ?

did you detect the area around where the trailer broke the first and second time ?

When you repair the A Frame you could put a new 75 x 50 x 4 RHS right up the center of the trailer chassis from the rear to the front and weld it to every cross member along the way , plus weld it to the plate that the hitch bolts on to.

Rockhunter62
21 September 2020 08:42 am

We live and learn Phil, at least you can laugh about it. Bigger and better next time. thumbsup

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

1 user likes this post: BigWave

Manpa
21 September 2020 09:11 am

Many rant and rave when things go wrong, you just remain completely unflappable. Nothing but admiration for your ability to work thru things without any signs of panic.

One of these days Ma!

3 users like this post: Mackka, BigWave, MegsyB007

Moneybox
21 September 2020 11:39 am

CreviceSucker wrote:

oooopsie

did you detect the area around where the trailer broke the first and second time ?

When you repair the A Frame you could put a new 75 x 50 x 4 RHS right up the center of the trailer chassis from the rear to the front and weld it to every cross member along the way , plus weld it to the plate that the hitch bolts on to.

CrevisSucker, you must have been watching. After the first temporary repair we managed about 10km but I got a bit over confident and hit one of those woops in the road too quickly. No detection was all done by eye smile

Phil, Sandra & Taz - GPX4500's, SDC2300's, White's Goldmaster GMT, Equinox 800, pans, sieves and more in a 4WD motorhome.

2 users like this post: Mackka, BigWave

Moneybox
21 September 2020 11:41 am

Rockhunter62 wrote:

We live and learn Phil, at least you can laugh about it. Bigger and better next time. thumbsup

Cheers

Doug

Doug, It happened while we were driving along discussing the design of a replacement trailer, yes bigger and better.

2 users like this post: Rockhunter62, Mackka

Moneybox
21 September 2020 11:43 am

Manpa wrote:

Many rant and rave when things go wrong, you just remain completely unflappable. Nothing but admiration for your ability to work thru things without any signs of panic.

I think my lack of visible emotion is a tactic I've learned over the years to keep the other half cool. I don't perform too well when others have lost the plot lol

6 users like this post: Jaros, nucopia, Rockhunter62, CreviceSucker, Mackka, BigWave

nucopia
21 September 2020 12:54 pm

Frustrating annoying but thankfully only minimal damage ..
Bigger thicker A frame and a Polly block Treg hitch should solve the problem ...look forward to watching the repair video in the near future . Thanks for sharing your adventures mr an mrs Moneybox and Tass perfect

every day is an adventure

3 users like this post: CreviceSucker, Moneybox, Mackka

Jaros
21 September 2020 01:04 pm

Can't wait either. sad

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

just starting
21 September 2020 01:27 pm

I assume you didn`t have a welder to fix it when it first snapped ? What Crevice Sucker said about a centre beam and cross members is a good idea. I did that with one of my trailers for extra strength. How far from civilisation were you ?

goody2shoes
21 September 2020 03:45 pm

Just glad that you are both safe big_smile

2 users like this post: CreviceSucker, nucopia

CreviceSucker
Banned
Banned
21 September 2020 04:01 pm

Moneybox wrote:
CreviceSucker wrote:

oooopsie

CrevisSucker, you must have been watching. After the first temporary repair we managed about 10km but I got a bit over confident and hit one of those woops in the road too quickly. No detection was all done by eye smile

lol . i was watching the first video thinking it wont last 2 km but you proved me wrong and got to 10 km.....

That A-frame was about 60 % strong enough for two quad bikes in city driving . but dirt roads i would say 30 %

You are perfectly capable of designing a better one.

I have lost count of how many i have repaired over the years , sometimes when the A-Frame snaps off on highways / asphalt the trailer comes sliding to a gradual stop but on dirt roads they usually dig their nose in and cartwheel so there is nothing left to repair.

glad to see your contents survived so well. angel

ps , usually if i get a cluster-interuptus like that i take it as an omen that Great Spirit Kimosabe is telling me to stop for a while , in your case i would have set up camp and detected the area for 300 metres all around it gold-nugget

Last edited by CreviceSucker (21 September 2020 04:04 pm)

2 users like this post: Moneybox, BigWave

Moneybox
22 September 2020 12:39 am

just starting wrote:

I assume you didn`t have a welder to fix it when it first snapped ? What Crevice Sucker said about a centre beam and cross members is a good idea. I did that with one of my trailers for extra strength. How far from civilisation were you ?

Where it rolled was about 40km from town. I had no problems borrowing a welder once we made it there and the guy wouldn't take any money for his help.

5 users like this post: just starting, CreviceSucker, Mackka, goody2shoes, BigWave

Mackka
22 September 2020 10:29 am

Glad everyone is safe and sound.
Mackka

1 user likes this post: Moneybox

Moneybox
22 September 2020 12:36 pm

nucopia wrote:

Bigger thicker A frame and a Polly block Treg hitch should solve the problem ...look forward to watching the repair video in the near future . Thanks for sharing your adventures mr an mrs Moneybox and Tass perfect

I know a lot of people like the Treg hitch but Merv has that on the back of the Benz ute and it's always difficult to reverse up to in rough terrain. There are obviously a lot of new designs but the old 50mm ball has followed me around Australia many times. I must admit, it has come off a couple of times and a trailer swinging on the safety chains at 130km/h can get a bit scary. On that occasion the nut came off and the ball came out of the towbar. On another occasion I had failed to latch the coupling onto the ball and the race car trailer followed along nicely until I entered a roundabout and I looked up to see who had nudged me from behind smile

3 users like this post: goody2shoes, nucopia, BigWave

nucopia
22 September 2020 01:00 pm

I never found it to be too difficult to reverse the Prado back onto the hitch as long as the Digger was at the back giving me directions , now I have a reversing camera, it makes reversing onto the trailer a lot simpler.. although occasionally it is difficult to get the trailer at the exact level and angle to correspond with the height/angle of the coupling on the Prado ..when that happens, I use the jockey wheel to adjust the height and the Digger and I can give the trailer a nudge or a push from behind and fit it in ..what I really like about the treg hitch is the extreme angles it will handle during off road 4 wheel driving while eliminating the stress it puts on the trailer A frame or the towing point..its allowed me to take the trailer across obstacles a regular tow ball would never handled.

Last edited by nucopia (22 September 2020 01:03 pm)

every day is an adventure

Rockhunter62
22 September 2020 01:30 pm

Moneybox wrote:
nucopia wrote:

I know a lot of people like the Treg hitch but Merv has that on the back of the Benz ute and it's always difficult to reverse up to in rough terrain. There are obviously a lot of new designs but the old 50mm ball has followed me around Australia many times. I must admit, it has come off a couple of times and a trailer swinging on the safety chains at 130km/h can get a bit scary. On that occasion the nut came off and the ball came out of the towbar. On another occasion I had failed to latch the coupling onto the ball and the race car trailer followed along nicely until I entered a roundabout and I looked up to see who had nudged me from behind smile

You could always put a McHitch coupling on Phil or a Ringfeeder.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

3 users like this post: CreviceSucker, nucopia, Moneybox

Shep
22 September 2020 04:12 pm

Was the A frame welded on the top of the RHS?

reynard
22 September 2020 04:21 pm

Hi phil, you are a lucky man to get off so lightly, thankfully. I have a
mchitch on our pheonix caravan and have had it in some very remote places,
And it certainly makes life easy.
Jim yikes sad perfect

2x 4500,s sdc 2300 , pheonix to stay in ,landcruiser to get us there and BACK ,and a wife as keen as me

CreviceSucker
Banned
Banned
22 September 2020 04:43 pm

Shep wrote:

Youre going to mention Stress Node ?

Transverse welds are never done on truck chassis especially across a flange , longitudinal welds on the web are favoured assuming its not a high tensile chassis , if high tensile then usually brackets are bolted / rivetted / huck bolted to the chassis and the bracket is welded on to the attached body work.

I do sometimes weld where you mentioned but i eliminate the top stress node by putting a tapered doubler plate on the sides of that joint area that extend at least 3 x RHS height each side of that zone.

smile

Those lucky *** in the west might get the best gold cry but they have to put up with the worst roads in the country tongue

BigWave
22 September 2020 07:01 pm

I like the 50mm ball, as if my van ever needs to be towed by another vehicle, it is the most available.
I have however substituted the original hitch with a fully articulated one to handle the roughest terrain.
With a reversing camera on my Jeep, I can hitch it easily first time.

GPX-4500 & Direction Finding Daughter

2 users like this post: CreviceSucker, 7.62marksman

CreviceSucker
Banned
Banned
22 September 2020 07:52 pm

BigWave wrote:

I like the 50mm ball, as if my van ever needs to be towed by another vehicle, it is the most available.
I have however substituted the original hitch with a fully articulated one to handle the roughest terrain.
With a reversing camera on my Jeep, I can hitch it easily first time.

you have something like these ?

i never used one but there are so many products coming on the market now we have a luxury of choice.

1600764721_flex_ball_type.jpg

3 users like this post: nucopia, Moneybox, reefer

Shep
24 September 2020 08:02 am

CreviceSucker wrote:
Shep wrote:

Youre going to mention Stress Node ?

Transverse welds are never done on truck chassis especially across a flange , longitudinal welds on the web are favoured assuming its not a high tensile chassis , if high tensile then usually brackets are bolted / rivetted / huck bolted to the chassis and the bracket is welded on to the attached body work.

I do sometimes weld where you mentioned but i eliminate the top stress node by putting a tapered doubler plate on the sides of that joint area that extend at least 3 x RHS height each side of that zone.

smile

Those lucky *** in the west might get the best gold cry but they have to put up with the worst roads in the country tongue

If it’s welded across the top then the trailer is unroadworthy in the NT and every A
frame failure I have seen like the one pictured was welded across the top.

Moneybox
24 September 2020 11:00 am

I know enough about where and how to weld. I even knew I was doing the wrong thing at the time but sometimes you just need the "quick & easy" and this time I got caught out. I'd never have done that sort of thing for somebody else smile

The hitch will remain a standard 50mm ball. I have too many vehicles and trailers to stuff it all up with a variety of couplings.

We're heading down to Perth this weekend (on our way to Kalgoorlie) to extract our Isuzu NPS300 4WD truck from the police impound yard. I've been looking for this truck for three years and eventually the driver got nabbed driving without a license and the truck was impounded. It's funny how things work out, we have action going through the court to retrieve the truck and that all comes to fruit on Tuesday but the impounded vehicle is available on Thursday. However without the court action the police would have never picked up on the illegal use of the vehicle.

I originally leant the vehicle to this guy (my tenant) after he was released from Bunbury prison, the offence, driving without a license...... I wonder where he's going to now smile

1 user likes this post: CreviceSucker