what is this?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
Fiona found this rock with what looks like some sort of dark crystal or glassy thing atached to it. I have no idea what is it and I was hoping that someone can give me some idea on what she found.
It was found at tuena if that helps.
Regards Greg
1384765454_img_2013111851686.jpg

1384765599_img_2013111842937.jpg

1384765687_img_2013111845688.jpg

1384765655_img_2013111822864.jpg

G'day Greg,

Could be Smoky Quartz at a guess but it's certainly interesting! I have no real clue on the host rock. Wonderful contrasting colour though.
Being that it's from the Tuena area, the guys here could probably guide you in the right directions, or could well have found a similar type of specimen out that way before.

Great looking piece! :)
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Tuena does produce some strange rocks ,& i have a few, but not seen anything like that before & is a beauty Greg

Looks very much like "Slag" from the Mt Costigan mine. Was it found downstream of the smelters. Very similar samples on the Mt Costigan causeway.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Looks very much like "Slag" from the Mt Costigan mine. Was it found downstream of the smelters. Very similar samples on the Mt Costigan causeway.

Cheers Wal.
Agree - similar to this steel slag
1384783745_image.jpg

Always hard to tell from photos, but the underlying rock looks to be a large piece of pink feldspar with some glassy silica float/slag from a smelting crucible that has run over the rock and solidified, doesn't look to be iron rich to me? :)

Thanks guys. What you are saying looks about right. The host rock looked to me more like part of a brick rather than anything else, just wasnt sure.
We still think it looks pretty though :)
When you get it under the sun the inside of blackish slag it gives a goldish metallic look. I wantrd to smash it open but I was told I wasnt aloud :/
Regards Greg.

Greglz86 said:
Thanks guys. What you are saying looks about right. The host rock looked to me more like part of a brick rather than anything else, just wasnt sure.
We still think it looks pretty though :)
When you get it under the sun the inside of blackish slag it gives a goldish metallic look. I wantrd to smash it open but I was told I wasnt aloud :/
Regards Greg.

If you want some more Greg, look at the base of the Mt Costigan causeway on Tuena Creek. They used the slag as foundation on the crossing, ...that way you can have a piece for yourself to "smash", :D

Cheers Wal.

You can also find slag at the Tuena common (lower campground) as the whole flat is built up with slag from the Mt Costigan smelter.

That is why you can't hammer a bloody tent peg in anywhere :(

Latest posts