0.8 grams versus 800 grams ......yeah whatever

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Grays Online have listed 0.800 grams of gold and bidding is up to $ 8200

Someone needs their ass kicked.

https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-2528905/fine-jewellery/australian-24k-pure-gold-drop-nugget#

1599133598_0.800_grams.jpg

CreviceSucker said:
The correct format is either 0.8 grams or 800.00 grams

What Grays have done is disgustingly stupid.

Its like dikwadz who cant read a tape measure , they dont know the difference between millimetres , centimetres or metres.

One could ask if this was deliberate. And, what auction house would put up a nugget for 0.8g anyway. A drop nugget is one melted and dropped into water isn't it? So not naturally forming usually??

800 grams of 99.99 % gold is worth around $ 68,370 AUD

The photos of the "gold" are rubbish.

The description is worse.

The bidding is currently at $12,000 for gold that is probably worth $ 85

If it was done properly they would produce an assay report and show real photos of it on scales.

what a pathetic joke

I suspect the high bidder might be the owner and he is trying to discourage anyone else bidding because Grays Online buggerred up the listing description and he probably wanted the listing ended or corrected but of course Grays dont answer their phone unless you have back office numbers and it takes them a few days to answer emails.

When Grays staff get around to talking to the seller , the gold will be relisted with a correct description is my guess.

Totally baffling ..... doesn't add up whether it's .8gm or 8000gms .... money laundering maybe.
That type of gold is always a bit suss as well ..... what are the chances it's stolen jewellery melted down, natural gold to the best of my knowledge is not sold as 24k (could be wrong).
Good for a chuckle anyway.
Cheers T.

CreviceSucker said:

Its like dikwadz who cant read a tape measure , they dont know the difference between millimetres , centimetres or metres.

So true CreviceSucker. Give some people 25.4 millimetres and they 1.60934 Kilometres! :p

It would have to be refined to get to 24 ct. Most natural gold is not 24 ct . nor is jewellery , it would wear away too quick and is too soft .

Deepseeker said:
CreviceSucker said:

So true CreviceSucker. Give some people 25.4 millimetres and they 1.60934 Kilometres! :p

Yep I know a bloke, gave him an inch and he took a mile :lol: Sorry couldn't resist.

Around $500/ gm atm incl fees.

Its only a rort if your not in on it ;) ;)

Might be recycled electrical component gold maybe??

The only way he could back up his 999 pure claim is if hes using aqua regia

humm interesting i once put a gold speciment on ebay for auction and it went for $143 and was only 0.13 gold content even said in the description that its only worth $15 gold content at the most and not to buy it if only wanting it for gold content but was amazed that it sold for such a high price i ended up offering free registered post to the buyer.

Hunting the yellow said:
humm interesting i once put a gold speciment on ebay for auction and it went for $143 and was only 0.13 gold content even said in the description that its only worth $15 gold content at the most and not to buy it if only wanting it for gold content but was amazed that it sold for such a high price i ended up offering free registered post to the buyer.

There was a couple of gold nugget auctions with Lloyds Auctions and the tiny nuggets were getting 2 - 3 times gold value.

Maybe the buyers were thinking ahead more than us little old prospectors , they paid 2025 prices.

Latest posts