SDC2300 Manual Threshold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hearing references to this unit having a manual threshold!
Am I off track?
Because I don't believe it has one! :(

Rockhunter62 said:
The right hand button on the top of the handle will adjust your threshold. Keep pushing the button and the led lights will increase till it gets to the top setting all the way to the right, keep pushing and it will go back to the first setting. :cool:

Cheers

Doug
I'm under the impression that is the volume function.
That would make it irrelevant to the threshold?!!!
It can only be one or the other!

The SDC has 2 main adjustable functions. The rest is pretty well preset in the detector. (tuning excepted on the other push button)

1. The rotating switch on the side No. 1-5 (+salt modes) This is Sensitivity or if compared to the GPX similar to Rx gain.
2. As Rockhunter stated the button with the LEDs is Threshold, again similar to the front knob Threshold of the GPX.

However, whilst it is true that more LEDs sounds louder, it is not a volume control. The only way of having a quieter threshold and adjusting target volume is with an external booster such as the Steelphase (SP).

I've found that out of the box 3 on the dial and 4 LEDs is more often than not a good start. But with my SP, I can run any settings I like on the detector and adjust it's volume and filters to work well.

i.e. If EMI is not too bad I run mine at switch posn 5 and 10 LEDs and pick up very very small nuggets. On testing, so small that on lower SDC settings I can easily miss.

I just took this straight from the minelab site.
1598869396_screenshot_20200831-182156.jpg

Definitely a threshold control. Been using it since we got the SDC back in 2016.

Cheers

Doug

Nightjar said:
Maybe get shot down here, however my understanding is, threshold and volume are one and the same?
Well that is what I could not beleive, so I had to ask!
Naturally I guess if you turn a threshold up, it will be noisier!
I think this a very misunderstood feature of the 2300!

When I got our SDC, we were told to adjust the threshold up till you have 2 - 3 leds flashing while you are detecting. All depends on what sensitivity you have set and how noisy the ground is. We could have the threshold flat out at Western Creek while running sensitivity on 5 and only have 2 - 3 leds flashing while detecting. Does sound a bit noisy at times but I'm pretty deaf anyway.

Cheers

Doug

mudgee hunter said:
Nightjar said:
Maybe get shot down here, however my understanding is, threshold and volume are one and the same?

Me too...I thought the button was volume and that's why it is shown as a Speaker shape on the actual button.

I use an SP01, so next time I will run it on max threshold and see how it performs with a lead test target.

the right button is supposedly for threshold adjustment but its fairly useless if you ask me, it seems to make very little difference.

The military version of the 2300 (the F3 series) has several more adjustments than the 2300 has... target volume, frequency, USB upgradable & more. Why MineLab thinks us prospectors dont need some of these is beyond me, no doubt they'll drip feed us prospectors and incorporate some extras features in forthcoming models.

Its all a big financial game for them, add another feature and watch em come running

https://www.minelab.com/anzea/countermine/detectors/mf5

mudgee hunter said:
Nightjar said:

People describe the SDC as plug and play but my take on it after 5 years is this. Adjust the threshold and sensitivity to allow as much information in as your ears can handle, the more hours you spend on the machine you seem to be able to tune your brain in to listen through the warble and pick up minor alterations to the steady threshold in the background. It takes a while but eventually you seem to be able to hear variances and pulls on the threshold and recognise them as targets that other people simply cant hear. Sometimes you find yourself scraping away and a target becomes clear and you dont really know what pulled you up in the first place. Unique language has the SDC and learning it fully takes time imo.

Bacchus said:
Sometimes you find yourself scraping away and a target becomes clear and you dont really know what pulled you up in the first place.

Summed it up exactly there Bacchus ........ BUT it's almost impossible to try to get people to understand that.

ANYONE can hear the shoty pellet and such, they are such clear/loud signals that everyone has no trouble hearing.
It's that WTF was that (almost) noise that separates those that do well with the SDC from those that only get unknown's targets .. they just aren't "tuned in" to those barely perceivable breaks in signals.

Have managed to get the message through to 1 mate who now hits gold on almost 100% of his outings .... another who just can't grasp it and gets only the occasional piece (I'm sure 1 day he will have that lightbulb moment and really become successful.

Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Bacchus said:
Sometimes you find yourself scraping away and a target becomes clear and you dont really know what pulled you up in the first place.

Summed it up exactly there Bacchus ........ BUT it's almost impossible to try to get people to understand that.

ANYONE can hear the shoty pellet and such, they are such clear/loud signals that everyone has no trouble hearing.
It's that WTF was that (almost) noise that separates those that do well with the SDC from those that only get unknown's targets .. they just aren't "tuned in" to those barely perceivable breaks in signals.

Have managed to get the message through to 1 mate who now hits gold on almost 100% of his outings .... another who just can't grasp it and gets only the occasional piece (I'm sure 1 day he will have that lightbulb moment and really become successful.

Cheers T.

Have done the same with a detecting partner T and I probably should have added that using a GME external together to identify a slight threshold pull was next to useless, ended up finding a target then handing him the headphones. Can not emphasise enough the importance of a good set of headphones, standard 100 Ohm ( I think ) ur-30s are ok but the difference between them and a set of Gray Ghost or even better 300 Ohm Steel Phase headphones is certainly noticeable.

Bacchus said:
Adjust the threshold and sensitivity to allow as much information in as your ears can handle, the more hours you spend on the machine you seem to be able to tune your brain in to listen through the warble and pick up minor alterations to the steady threshold in the background. It takes a while but eventually you seem to be able to hear variances and pulls on the threshold and recognise them as targets that other people simply cant hear. Sometimes you find yourself scraping away and a target becomes clear and you dont really know what pulled you up in the first place. Unique language has the SDC and learning it fully takes time imo.

This is what it's all about, and not just the SDC either. Also applies to the GPZ7000, most PI's, Gold Kruzer and many other gold detectors.

Spot on Phasetech also need to know when to drop threshold all together especially with the sdc some ground needs you to do that and most emportent is to learn your machine the common theme is 100 hrs of solid detecting before you know whats going on also if you run into other operators quiz them on what they do you might learn something cheers Muk.

It had me rather puzzled at first. Because of learning the old fashioned way of manually turning your detector in.
And adjusting it on the run.
Learning how to tune an old analogue detector like gold bug 2 helps understand functions .

Latest posts