Lebanon blast

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez that was bloody massive, Poor buggers,

They just showed people walking away from the area so badly covered in blood that you can't see the colour of their skin, So much so you can't see where their wounds are,

Heart breaking totally heart breaking,

That big white shockwave wrecked buildings miles away from the blast, they say about 80 people are dead but I think the number is a lot higher than that, it has wrecked cars and tossed em up in the air like they were toys.

:flowers: :brokenh: :flowers: :flowers:

It has been reported on several sites I have looked at as having been 2700 tons of confiscated Ammonium Nitrate.

If indeed it was that large an amount you would have had to have had several tankers of diesel spraying the stockpile and as for ignition source the only thing that will set it off is a booster charge, that is a smaller high explosive charge. Ammonium Nitrate by itself is totally inert and ANFO does not detonate by itself so that leaves only one possible conclusion.

It was not an accident.

Blew a few things up in 80's and 90's with anfo, long time ago, but I remember that after mixing the diesel with the ammonia nitrate, it needed to be compressed, it also needed to be detonated, we would use a claymore mine,I think once I saw our pioneer platoon use a bee hive, turned upside down to detonate it, and the crater it left was massive! did not think fire would do it? Maybe a really hot fire for a really long time? Dunno?

Used to work in a transport place.

One of the things we carted was Super including Nitram.
Even back then it was known that it was not a good idea to include drums of diesel
in a load with it.

We never held it in stock, Only ordering it in when needed.

If it was left exposed to air for a while, It would start to sweat an oily type substance.

And it would burn very well when ignited.

A truck with a load of Nitram rolled north of Bega once and the fuel tanks ruptured spilling
diesel all over the load. A rather large area was evacuated for a couple of days until the mess
was neutralized and cleaned up for fear of an explosion.

Safe when used properly but when stuffed around with, Bloody dangerous.

Latest posts