Hi iam Matt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at getting into gold detecting so no exsperenc but lots of keennes
Need to buy detector so some help in decision making would be great
All helpful words welcome
Thanks Matt

Hi Matt, welcome. Lots of help here. If you search the site most of your questions have already been asked.
What I will say is have a budget and identify what you are looking for in terms of gold or relics.

Machine range from low end $500 devices to 10K and everywhere in between.
Secondhand machines are also good to start with if you are not sure the hobby is for you.

Lots of people buy then decide walking the bush looking is not what they thought it would be.
This is where many of the secondhand machines come into the market.

This site has some amazing guys and and gals who offer there help if
you have questions and even some secondhand gear.

Cheers

HH

Was looking at minelab gpx5000 but watched a show on utube showed garret atx out performing the gpx5000 so confused
Garret is alot less eanexpivse I've heard you pay for the name with minelabs I just about decided to get gpz7000 but herd the 5000 are better and also herd that a gpx4500 upgraded find deeper targets then all of them it's hard when you don't have any exsperenc at detecting and don't no the front from the back

If you are looking for gold in Australia in highly mineralised ground the best machine will be one set up for this search.

Easiest to work are as follows.

SDC 2300- turn on and go. Resale value is high.
GPX 4500 - takes some practice, loads of settings but usually factory will work loads of coils and big history of gold searching. Resale value is high.
GPX 5000 - takes some practice, loads of settings but usually factory will work, loads of coils and big history of gold searching. Resale value is high.
GPZ 7000 - Expensive, heavy but certainly does the job.

I would not also rule out the QED, take some practice but getting a reputation for gold searching.

The Garrett gear has loads of people using but I have not seen too many using widely on gold fields. Resale value is also low.

It really comes down to budget and what you are searching for and location.

Cheers HH

Forgot to mention. Dont expect to find enough gold to pay off your device.
Most dont find much gold, personally I look at it as time out bush and a hobby.

Great if you find gold but you need to do a lot of research and loads of walking.

No matter what machine you get you still need to walk over the gold and then identify it is a target.

Cheers HH

Hay a mate has just started detecting and this is after 3 day
1596761321_screenshot_20200806-191718_messenger.jpg

Think ya need to tag along next time he goes
He's onto it. Must be plenty there
Don't think you need much advice from anyone here
about detecting. Just do what ever ya mates doing
and get the same detector

Latest posts