1851 penny token

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hour or so hunt at an oval today turned up this special item..
1596370418_imag08383.jpg

1596370453_imag08373.jpg

Token - 1 Penny, J. McFarlane, Wholesale & Retail Grocer, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1851 Very rare Copper One Penny Token minted by an unknown British mint. Issued by J. McFarlane, Wholesale & Retail Grocer , in Melbourne, Victoria, circa 1851. McFarlane arrived in Melbourne in 1841 and sent goods to the goldfields during the rushes, in addition to his business in the city. He was probably the second Melbourne merchant to issue tokens. McFarlane appeared before the insolvents court in 1956 but reopened his business a few weeks later. A round copper token ( 34 mm diameter ) giving the name address and business of the issuer: J. McFarlane, corner Elizabeth and Lonsdale Streets Melbourne, wholesale and retail grocer. The reverse features a female figure standing, facing. She holds an olive branch raised in her right hand and rests her left on the head of a gambolling lamb. A tame lion steps from behind her below the olive branch. Dimensions: 34 mm (Diameter) Weight: 18.373 g (Weight) DateEra: circa 1851 AD Denomination: 1 Penny Obverse Description: At centre in 3 lines; J. McFARLANE / WHOLESALE & RETAIL / GROCER around, CORNER OF ELIZABETH & LONSDALE STS . MELBOURNE . Reverse Description: The reverse features a female figure in long flowing dress standing, facing. She holds an olive branch raised in her right

Thats cool mate , I would give it a clean ?. I once found a 1852 half sovereign was like new condition, its nice holding history great find ?

If it were mine I'd give it a good clean after taking a few really good photographs of the condition it's in now (just in case), I don't think you can hurt it much more... Sometimes though the corrosion preserves details that you'll lose when it's cleaned off, it can be a hard choice.

Mick73 said:
Thats cool mate , I would give it a clean ?. I once found a 1852 half sovereign was like new condition, its nice holding history great find ?
It sure is, I knew it was something special when it went in the bag, maybe a penny, as I have never found a pre dec before so not a bad first. When home, I could read Elizabeth and part of Lonsdale, and I could also make out a woman holding something up. I interwebbed it with 'elizabeth Lonsdale old coin' and found it. Couldn't believe it was c.1851
I'm gonna go look at it again ;) :playful: :perfect:

Guessologist said:
If it were mine I'd give it a good clean after taking a few really good photographs of the condition it's in now (just in case), I don't think you can hurt it much more... Sometimes though the corrosion preserves details that you'll lose when it's cleaned off, it can be a hard choice.
Ha yea think I might give it a light scrub. Best method??

To be honest, I've started giving Andre's Crayons a miss for my cleaning after trying to faff around with the steel wool refilling and have just been using 00000 steel wool off a big roll on all my copper and bronze coins. The pointy resin-set steel wool pencils are still handy for some stuff though.

Latest posts