Chrystoprase

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We couldn't find the gold today so we picked up some green instead.
1596363549_20200802_163557_copy_800x600.jpg

Pretty certain it is chrystoprase.

Cheers

Doug

Great find, it could be of valuable economical significance.
This cryptocrystalline quartz variety's colour is due to the presence of nickel.
In general, the presence of chrysoprase (green chalcedony) may indicate a nickel deposit at depth.
Don't walk away from it.
Top quality W.A. chrysoprase was selling at the Lightning Ridge show last year, $1000 per kg for the best stuff.
Congratulations Doug!

We picked up many samples from the chrysoprase mine in the 90's, mine since closed. Extensive drilling for nickel has since been carried out since closure of mine. If you can't find any chrysoprase at least you can have a welcome swim in Marshal Pool a few k's to the West.

https://www.mindat.org/loc-251133.html

"Chrysoprase results from the deep weathering or lateritization of nickeliferous serpentinites or other ultramafic ophiolite rocks. In the Australian deposits, chrysoprase occurs as veins and nodules with brown goethite and other iron oxides in the magnesite-rich saprolite below an iron and silica cap".

While it can occur with nickel deposits. in WA it more commonly occurs with serpentinite, which has a few thousand ppm (e.g. 0.3%) nickel in it even when no nickel ore is present. Usually it is too pale for gem material, but that piece looks like it has some good colour.
1596454612_chrysoprase.jpg

goldierocks said:
"Chrysoprase results from the deep weathering or lateritization of nickeliferous serpentinites or other ultramafic ophiolite rocks. In the Australian deposits, chrysoprase occurs as veins and nodules with brown goethite and other iron oxides in the magnesite-rich saprolite below an iron and silica cap".

While it can occur with nickel deposits. in WA it more commonly occurs with serpentinite, which has a few thousand ppm (e.g. 0.3%) nickel in it even when no nickel ore is present. Usually it is too pale for gem material, but that piece looks like it has some good colour.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1596454612_chrysoprase.jpg

Thanks goldierocks.

Cheers

Doug

LoneWolf said:
That's a nice Colour Stone Mr Magoo.... :D :perfect:

LW...

It is and, very similar to the Docker River chrysoprase, which I am led to believe is now closed, but, there is someone in the community who will supply ... supposedly.

Is chrysoprase a sought after stone.
I was given a nice piece by a work mate in Mackay Queensland many years ago.
Its been boxed up downstairs somewhere for more than a few years
Very deep green and about an inch or so thick and about four in length.
He said he found it on the Eungella range West of Mackay from memory.
I read once that there used to be a good source somewhere between Mackay and Rockhampton Which was mined out Years ago

Thomo said:
I read once that there used to be a good source somewhere between Mackay and Rockhampton Which was mined out Years ago

Yep, good quality is called Australian Jade by the Chinese market, for the want of a more truthful term. I go to Eungella every now and again and it would be interesting to come across a deposit or outcrop of chrysoprase, I was talking to a "rockie" at the Seaford market and he was on to a good Amethyst deposit but he would only tell me where it was if I was taking my last breath.

Pat Hogen said:
Thomo said:

Yep, good quality is called Australian Jade by the Chinese market, for the want of a more truthful term. I go to Eungella every now and again and it would be interesting to come across a deposit or outcrop of chrysoprase, I was talking to a "rockie" at the Seaford market and he was on to a good Amethyst deposit but he would only tell me where it was if I was taking my last breath.

I lived in Mackay and surrounds working at Pleystowe mill for 20 years and loved fossicking around the district.
One guy living in Scrubby knew where there was a deposit of large quartz crystals up over Eton range somewhere but I never got out with him.
Another guy Fred was a forklift driver in the mill but a ringer in his previous life and was telling me he was mustering on some property and he rode out onto a ridge and there was all this pink stone which he really meant purple down through the rock.
Ill message you a spot to check out near Nebo for something else which l never got to do. :Y:

Pat Hogen said:
LoneWolf said:

LW...

It is and, very similar to the Docker River chrysoprase, which I am led to believe is now closed, but, there is someone in the community who will supply ... supposedly.

The inlaws worked both Docker River and Wingellina. I shall talk them about it. Although they have retired they still get called to fill the communities. Docker River and Wingellina are close to their hearts.

Pat Hogen said:
LoneWolf said:

LW...

"Supposedly". Thats the problem
:playful:

Hey Magoo, I worked in the communities north of Alice for a number of years. Found some very interesting formations out south of Ngukurr and also some very nice and large carnelian near Lake Nash.

Pat Hogen said:
Hey Magoo, I worked in the communities north of Alice for a number of years. Found some very interesting formations out south of Ngukurr and also some very nice and large carnelian near Lake Nash.

Hey Pat. I've had very little to do with the area It's just by visiting the inlaws who worked the stores. Generally South and West of Alice. Neil and Margaret Stewart. Would love to explore it more but now they have retired................... Of coarse we could get in there. :argh: ;)